SPS tips bleaching

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice from sps gurus! My tank is a Redsea reefer 850. I monitor and test frequently as it’s a fairly newly established tank (June 1st) Everything is locked in with the exception of phosphates that I am currently dosing two capfuls daily to keep it around .05 to .1 I recently purchased a ORA red planet and a POTO ultimate shortcake (Oct 4th). I placed them on a frag rack at about 200 par for a week. Moved the frag rack up after a week to about 300 par In which they sat for another week. The following week I placed the frag on top of the rock at about 350 par. The shortcake looks good with some polyp extension and the tips look good. However the ORA red planets tips do not look good. The coral has polyp extensions but I’m concerned with its tips bleaching. I did lower my lights max percentage down 5%

what do the experts say. Leave it, move it lower, cut the tips off and dip it again and place it back in the same spot? What do you guys do to try and save them?

IMG_0434.jpeg IMG_0433.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am not looking at the right thing but I don't see any issues on any of the frags. I would leave them be and just watch them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
68 Stang

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am not looking at the right thing but I don't see any issues on any of the frags. I would leave them be and just watch them.
Maybe these pictures will help a little more, you can see the tips of the corral in the center are looking bad but it does have good polyp extension

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
OP
OP
68 Stang

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been at 7.5 for weeks and weeks. I perform a 20 gallon continuous water change through a 2.8 gallons a day spread out with a Neptune dose. Haven’t had a need to dose two part yet as the water change has been keeping Alk stable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
68 Stang

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been at 7.5 for weeks and weeks. I perform a 20 gallon continuous water change through a 2.8 gallons a day spread out with a Neptune dose. Haven’t had a need to dose two part yet as the water change has been keeping Alk stable.
Here is a couple of better pics with my iPhone instead of iPad
IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top branch looks like growth which is great! The lower one does look like it’s missing flesh from what I can tell… that’s normally alk burn or high light and very low nutrients.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
68 Stang

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troy, I appreciate your time, I have been battling phosphates and have been dosing them. I will continue to monitor and dose phosphates and or nitrates if needed. PAR at its location is around 300/350. should I,

lower light intensity a bit?
trim the tips?
move the coral lower?
leave everything alone and be sure I have some phosphates .05 to .1

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back