Sps tissue dissolving overnight!

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-3.5 month old tank.
-Parameters have been stable for 2 months.
-Had a Dino outbreak when parameters dropped one day.
-within hours of getting new health corals that the polyps were extending within 30 mins of Puting in tank .
-overnight had 3 large frags. Snozzberry, tsa fuzz acro and giant peach table acro completely disentigrated.

almost staghorns, montis, and Oregon torts which have been in the system for 5 weeks to 3 weeks seem to be doing ok. 1 aquamarine stag that is clustered next to two others I mounted 3 weeks ago at the same time is now showing some tissue loss.

40 gallon cube
Gen 5 xr 30 12 hour photo period on the same settings top shelf corals uses (where I got most of my frags from.

Alk- 9.8. 30 day average 9.6
Salinity 35, 1.026. 30 day average 34, 1.025
Calcium 480. 30 day average 470
Ph 8.1. 30 day average 8.3 day 7.7 night
Nitrates 12 ppm. 30 day average 14ppm
Phosphates .12 30 day average .10
Temp 77.8. 30 day average 77.8

I test all parameters daily except calcium which has been done weekly.

I added a UV sterilizer last week to help with the Dino’s and it has worked pretty well and today is the first day the Dino’s have seriously subsided. I also added pods from algae barn 48 hours ago.

I’m super flow is 2 MP10’s staggered catty corner set on reef quest at 70%

if my water parameters are this stable I don’t understand why the corals would just nose dive so fast.

20D165B5-5009-4327-8C11-BB78336AD01A.jpeg 2215AEC0-2CA4-434B-AB2D-A2588B940CA7.jpeg D02F934E-60DE-43C3-9FA5-BE8D903BB93F.jpeg CDB75F1B-53B3-4B25-AFA4-6A017A95063A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex probes other than temp have never calibrated dead on but the movement is consistent when measured against my Hanna checkers.

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank transfer is VERY different than a new tank....
Plus it’s one thing when someone’s a seasoned veteran with SPS and reefing in general. All things being equal, if a person new to the hobby tries to transfer everything to a new tank attempting to follow the same procedure it probably won’t work out as well. Much less trying to grow SPS in a tank that’s 3 months old and whose rock isn’t mature yet.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed in the OG OP.
Why kitty corner on the wave makers?
That will make a whirlpool effect no matter how you program them.
If you face them at each other then go random your tank will have very random flow not all laminar.

Happy reefing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another alk spike overnight this time it went from 9.6-10.8 overnight.
Nitates are 6.8
Ph dove to 7.3
Phosphates .12
Calcium 480

I did another normal 5 gallon water change this time with water that was 77 degrees. My tds on my Rodi is perfect and the seawater tests exactly to tropic Marin pro specs.

I lost my tang, exquisite wrasse, and 2 sps, as well as two cleaner shrimp. Blood shrimp are fine ?

this sucks I don’t understand what caused the alk and oh swing. My ph ususally hoes down to 7.8 at night from a day time of 8.3.

super bummed and disheartened.

would this have something to do with dinos?

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another alk spike overnight this time it went from 9.6-10.8 overnight.
Nitates are 6.8
Ph dove to 7.3
Phosphates .12
Calcium 480

I did another normal 5 gallon water change this time with water that was 77 degrees. My tds on my Rodi is perfect and the seawater tests exactly to tropic Marin pro specs.

I lost my tang, exquisite wrasse, and 2 sps, as well as two cleaner shrimp. Blood shrimp are fine ?

this sucks I don’t understand what caused the alk and oh swing. My ph ususally hoes down to 7.8 at night from a day time of 8.3.

super bummed and disheartened.

would this have something to do with dinos?
Why the alk spike?
Certainly not the dinos.
Time to take a look at your processes.
What are you dosing? Take it off line now or at least half it.

Upvote 0

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will clarify, I added 28 colonies PLUS SPS in the last couple of weeks.
This was a bare tank when I plumbed and cycled it. What I transferred initially was very little.
If you transferred a whole bunch of rock, it's not a new tank.

There's something else going on here - an Alk Spike is not going to kill a bunch of fish, and a 3 degree swing during a water change is not going to even stress healthy corals.

OP is on another thread yesterday saying he doses Loudwolf Calcium Nitrate despite saying he doesn't dose anything in here - so I'm going with more information needed, and lying isn't helping.

Also, OP, why the heck are you adding new corals during a Dino outbreak?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You dont understand- I transferred what I had and did not transfer a bunch of rock but added newly acquired coral before I added lots of coral weeks ago. It helps that Im doing this 40 years and understand the bacterial and seeding needs but this is a tank set from scratch and I had to seed with it empty and acclimate and move stuff over from Purchase. The fish were pre-existing.
I also had to if you saw build thread do daily water changes to keep nitrate and phos levels in check

Upvote 0

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont understand- I transferred what I had and did not transfer a bunch of rock but added newly acquired coral before I added lots of coral weeks ago. It helps that Im doing this 40 years and understand the bacterial and seeding needs but this is a tank set from scratch and I had to seed with it empty and acclimate and move stuff over from Purchase. The fish were pre-existing.
I also had to if you saw build thread do daily water changes to keep nitrate and phos levels in check
It doesn't matter. IF you added the stuff that's in the first photo from an older tank, it's a new glass box but not a new tank.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. You've got established live rock. He doesn't.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It doesn't matter. IF you added the stuff that's in the first photo from an older tank, it's a new glass box but not a new tank.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. You've got established live rock. He doesn't.
Im not wasting my time with you- Youre not getting it and maturity has everything to do with coral tissue and loss.
his tank is almost 4 months old and he sees polyps almost right away then the coral goes the other way - Its obviously a water/chemical imbalance likely due to maturity and impatience. Can be lack of proper lighting as well as false readings, maricultured pieces which does not do well in captivity , alk swings, blasting them with light at introduction and the list goes on.
hes had alk spikes, big ph dip - that will sure take down coral in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead fish and shrimp says something happened oh dropped too
Im not wasting my time with you- Youre not getting it and maturity has everything to do with coral tissue and loss.
his tank is almost 4 months old and he sees polyps almost right away then the coral goes the other way - Its obviously a water/chemical imbalance likely due to maturity and impatience. Can be lack of proper lighting as well as false readings, maricultured pieces which does not do well in captivity , alk swings, blasting them with light at introduction and the list goes on.
hes had alk spikes, big ph dip - that will sure take down coral in a heartbeat.
dang I was just trying to find out what was happening in my tank not be used to prove a contest. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all I’m doing is water changes when the water is visably cloudy what would cause the ph swings. The alkalinity and ph swung higher than what was in the tank and what I put in the tank. I haven’t dosed anything other than nitrates and phosphates to hold my levels (I have done that successfully it seems since they bottomed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's something else going on here - an Alk Spike is not going to kill a bunch of fish, and a 3 degree swing during a water change is not going to even stress healthy corals.

OP is on another thread yesterday saying he doses Loudwolf Calcium Nitrate despite saying he doesn't dose anything in here - so I'm going with more information needed, and lying isn't helping.

Also, OP, why the heck are you adding new corals during a Dino outbreak?
I ordered the corals before the Dino outbreak and they got delivered late because of shipping delays.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If all I’m doing is water changes when the water is visably cloudy what would cause the ph swings. The alkalinity and ph swung higher than what was in the tank and what I put in the tank. I haven’t dosed anything other than nitrates and phosphates to hold my levels (I have done that successfully it seems since they bottomed.)
Alk affects CA and Ph and often when alk increases, the calcium level may be too low. High alk can also be affected by low or declining nitrate numbers.
As for your ph, when your alk spikes or increases, alkalinity can act as a stimulant to increase the pH numbers. the dosing of the phos and nitrate may be causing this action. Stop for 72 hours and see where alk and ph numbers go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk affects CA and Ph and often when alk increases, the calcium level may be too low. High alk can also be affected by low or declining nitrate numbers.
As for your ph, when your alk spikes or increases, alkalinity can act as a stimulant to increase the pH numbers. the dosing off the phos and nitrate may be causing this action. Stop for 72 hurs and see where alk and ph numbers go.
Calcium is high at 480 it never moves from that and I test it every Friday

I test ph with the Hana as well as the Neptune unit 4-5x a day

I test salinity the same with a Milwaukee ma887 refractometer (recalibrated 1x a month)

I was doing my water changes up til you said something 5k all on to 10 gallon changes with 70 degree water I stopped that after you mentioned it should be same as tank.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Calcium is high at 480 it never moves from that and I test it every Friday
What test kits?
I would suggest as a ppiece of mind to take a water sample to a trusted LFS thant does not use API kits and have them test your water and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours. A few months back, I was showing my CA on my Trident unit at 562 but hanna 442. Alk was 8.7 and mag at 1431
After calibration and new bottles, today alk at 9.1, CA 436 and mag at 1311 - false readings were obvoius

Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits?
I would suggest as a ppiece of mind to take a water sample to a trusted LFS thant does not use API kits and have them test your water and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours. A few months back, I was showing my CA on my Trident unit at 562 but hanna 442. Alk was 8.7 and mag at 1431
After calibration and new bottles, today alk at 9.1, CA 436 and mag at 1311 - false readings were obvoius
Hanna phos, nitrate, calcium, alk,
I have a trident but it isn’t set up yet.

I test everything but calcium every day around 3pm calcium is tested every Friday.

if I get a weird or abnormal reading I retest. The alk spikes have always been confirmed. Every once in a while a phosphate test will be wonky.

I have the Milwaukee 877 refractometer which I have been told is one of the best in the market.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits?
My LFS is terrible when I asked for a water analysis they tested alkalinity and said that’s all that mattered. They are not helpful and only seem to deal with lps.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back