OP
zirky

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I’m at. I’d like to fasten plumbing hangers, light davitts, panel magnets, controller boxes ect which I’d use stainless Fasteners for so aluminum’s out. Here in Gloucester the commercial fishermen are having good luck with 304 stainless finished with rinoguard which is an additional expense (not sure how much yet). My international paint rep recommended interprotect which is a marine barrier coat for bellow the waterline. If I go with 316 I’d need to hire a welder but would need no finishing. And finally I’m still not sure if my design is strong enough. The photo is pricing and top 48” beams profile
image.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the purpose of the flat bar between the tubes? I don't think a 3/4" wide bar is going to add much stiffness.
Might I suggest just putting the two tubes flush on top of each other and then put a 3" bar on the outside face of the tubes. Would cover the seam and make it look like a single 3" tube from the outside, and the 3" depth would add more stiffness than the 3/4" bar. You could put a second 3" bar on the inside too if you wanted. Or just use a 3" x 1-1/2" tube for that front pc. Way less welding.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do steel and use pur 15 frame paint the stuff drys like a rock

OP
OP
zirky

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the purpose of the flat bar between the tubes? I don't think a 3/4" wide bar is going to add much stiffness.
Might I suggest just putting the two tubes flush on top of each other and then put a 3" bar on the outside face of the tubes. Would cover the seam and make it look like a single 3" tube from the outside, and the 3" depth would add more stiffness than the 3/4" bar. You could put a second 3" bar on the inside too if you wanted. Or just use a 3" x 1-1/2" tube for that front pc. Way less welding.
As swell as giving me more rigidly The flat Bar will also allow me to To through bolt my light brackets and recess my panel magnets Ect. At least that’s my thought.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with the 3/4" webbing adding minimal rigidity at the expense of a lot of extra welding. I-beams are strong structural elements, but only because they are solid formed. You could add some 6" wide x 1/8" webs at intervals across the span and achieve the same strength, but I would highly recommend wider/deeper than 3/4" because that's a very difficult space to weld into.

You could stick with 1.5" tubing for the webs. Concept below (apologies for the crude sketch, PhotoShop was faster than CAD).

3F3E07F2-D720-4951-855B-B1081AA1EC6C copy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zirky

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with the 3/4" webbing adding minimal rigidity at the expense of a lot of extra welding. I-beams are strong structural elements, but only because they are solid formed. You could add some 6" wide x 1/8" webs at intervals across the span and achieve the same strength, but I would highly recommend wider/deeper than 3/4" because that's a very difficult space to weld into.

You could stick with 1.5" tubing for the webs. Concept below (apologies for the crude sketch, PhotoShop was faster than CAD).

3F3E07F2-D720-4951-855B-B1081AA1EC6C copy.jpg
The sketch is awsome. This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for thank you.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubled up the long tubes on my stand build.
IMG_1156.jpg
Your gusset sizing and placement looks dead-on. Excellent engineering.
I can't tell exactly what spacing you have between the upper horizontal members, if any?
The only suggestion I have for your next stand would be to stagger the inner and outer welds between the doubled members so that they are not directly across from each other. That will give you some added strength and spread the loading of those members.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back