Stand build for 240 tank, need help

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I will be building my stand using the design from @RocketEngineer but wanted to make some modifications I thought about making will be ok. Tank is 240 gallon, 8x2x2. I want to have a tall stand of 36 inches since my skimmer and bio reactor are 30 inches tall.

sketch below:

IMG_2453.jpeg

I want to use 2x6 on the top and the bottom to be 2x4, unless I need to use all 2x6. I do not want to use any cross members on the bottom inside to maximize the amount space I have for the sump and stuff. Will this be possible? Worse case I can add something on the ends.

I also thought about making the stand deeper than the actual size of the tank. The tank is 24 inches deep and thought about making the stand 30 or 32 inches deep since the overflow is 6 inches, this way the plumbing will go inside of the stand versus outside and running back in. Unsure how the weight distribution will work since the back of the tank will be 6-8 inches away from the edge. But I thought I will have 6-8 more inches of cabinet space. My idea:
IMG_2455.jpeg

Lastly, the supports in between the top, I plan to run them spaced every 12 inches or so but I will plan to space some of them greater distance for the skimmer and bio reactor. This will give me a full 6 inches of space. Sketch:
IMG_2454.jpeg

Sorry for not having better sketches but unsure where I can make them.

Thanks for the help!

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I will be building my stand using the design from @RocketEngineer but wanted to make some modifications I thought about making will be ok. Tank is 240 gallon, 8x2x2. I want to have a tall stand of 36 inches since my skimmer and bio reactor are 30 inches tall.

sketch below:

IMG_2453.jpeg

I want to use 2x6 on the top and the bottom to be 2x4, unless I need to use all 2x6. I do not want to use any cross members on the bottom inside to maximize the amount space I have for the sump and stuff. Will this be possible? Worse case I can add something on the ends.

I also thought about making the stand deeper than the actual size of the tank. The tank is 24 inches deep and thought about making the stand 30 or 32 inches deep since the overflow is 6 inches, this way the plumbing will go inside of the stand versus outside and running back in. Unsure how the weight distribution will work since the back of the tank will be 6-8 inches away from the edge. But I thought I will have 6-8 more inches of cabinet space. My idea:
IMG_2455.jpeg

Lastly, the supports in between the top, I plan to run them spaced every 12 inches or so but I will plan to space some of them greater distance for the skimmer and bio reactor. This will give me a full 6 inches of space. Sketch:
IMG_2454.jpeg

Sorry for not having better sketches but unsure where I can make them.

Thanks for the help!
I'm too tired to read/think through this now, but I'm commenting so I remember to help tomorrow.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having no cross members on the bottom is highly inadvisable over 8', especially if there is Any deviation from dead flat on the ground.

This stand was made for an 8' 300. Slightly overbuilt by design. It has cross members, and still using the ground under it.

Post in thread 'Sauced and Confused (Lost Remix)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sauced-and-confused-lost-remix.947219/post-10756337
Thank you.

I was hoping to avoid having cross members in the bottom but based on the link you shared, I can see they are required. Does it make a difference if lay down the 2x4 versus standing them up? The whole stand will be covered like yours. Again my issues is my tall equipment.

should I aim for a 40 inch tall stand? This will place the top of the aquarium around 64-65 inches. I prefer eye level since I’m tall versus looking down at a tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I was hoping to avoid having cross members in the bottom but based on the link you shared, I can see they are required. Does it make a difference if lay down the 2x4 versus standing them up?
It does slightly matter to dimensional stability slightly yes, but laying them down on the bottom is Way better than not having them at all
should I aim for a 40 inch tall stand? This will place the top of the aquarium around 64-65 inches. I prefer eye level since I’m tall versus looking down at a tank.
That should work then

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B99887A0-F109-44B1-873F-A7547EE49D63-29337-00001A2FBEE04194.jpeg

Note the way the long pieces tuck between the ends, allowing the stand to extend past the footprint of the tank but the structure is still properly supporting the corners of the tank.

Yes, if you have center legs front and back, 2X6 top boards, 2X4 for everything else.

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B99887A0-F109-44B1-873F-A7547EE49D63-29337-00001A2FBEE04194.jpeg

Note the way the long pieces tuck between the ends, allowing the stand to extend past the footprint of the tank but the structure is still properly supporting the corners of the tank.

Yes, if you have center legs front and back, 2X6 top boards, 2X4 for everything else.
Thank you.

I see it now, it can be done but it will be more of an extension than be part of the “sump area”. Wish I could keep the sump area clean like your picture but then realized, I can cover the supports with plywood and then with pond liner to catch any water or build an acrylic box

Back