Stand carpentry/ finishing help

Snorkelsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful. I was not sure that plywood nailed to plywood would hold like that. But I do see you used 3/4 so I guess more nailing surface area.

The bradnail in the top piece that goes into the other 3/4" plywood helps some but once you glue the pieces together and then bradnail the mini crown molding piece into the top and sides it holds it together nice and tight. My sketch is a little out of scale, you can see from my original picture that the crown molding comes most of the way out under the top 3/4" piece which adds a lot of support.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very similar to @Snorkelsteve's stand but I went even higher to cover the sandbed line as well. Brad nailed and glued, trims made of laminated pine that was ripped and routed.
20200421_121043.jpg
20200421_121055.jpg

Another option seeing as you have an older home is instead of going crazy with the trim finishes in spots where you won't really see it (Inside corner under the shelf) maybe get some corbels and put them in each corner (Maybe one in the center as well) to support the shelf and use some nice thick distressed wood as your shelf?

SuperDodge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is “wrap” for a basic 2x stand. Hope this drawing helps you understand the basics of it. The tank sits on a plywood sheet that is the same size as the tank. Then I used 3/4” sanded hardwood plywood to wrap the 2x stand.
CD5D5158-B7FB-46AE-B26C-80078ED8D2EE.jpeg

This is how I would do it. Use plywood if you're doing a plywood stand and then edgeband the plywood shelf with thin strips of solid lumber.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues if the skin plywood is touching the tank? Especially if it is rimless.

I don't personally see any issues with that, you could always leave a 1/16 or 1/8" gap between the two and caulk it. The only thing I could MAYBE see is when you fill it if the water pressure pushes the panes out ever so slightly you've now got extra stress along the bottom of the glass if theres no room for expansion. Bit of a stretch though, not sure how much the glass would flex if atall given your tank dimensions...

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could Kreg jog/ pocket hole screw the shelf in from the inside of the stand.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is “wrap” for a basic 2x stand. Hope this drawing helps you understand the basics of it. The tank sits on a plywood sheet that is the same size as the tank. Then I used 3/4” sanded hardwood plywood to wrap the 2x stand.
CD5D5158-B7FB-46AE-B26C-80078ED8D2EE.jpeg
I’ve been in the planning stages of building the stand for my 100g. The finish work is whats been scaring me. I’ve never donar any carpentry. But this image sheds so much light! Thank you.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back