Stand Painting

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdness
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
3,986
Reaction score
153
Location
West Fargo, ND
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to paint/seal the inside of the new stand and canopy I am building for my 125G tank. Anyone have any tips on what kind of paint to use?

I tried using KILZ brush on primer and brush on appliance epozy, but they peeled off the wood with the humidity. I need something that is going to stick well in the damp environment.
 
Bump!
 
That's wierd... What kind of wood is it??? Kilz should have worked fine... If you sealed it thompsons water seal first there isn't much you can do...:(
 
No thompson's water seal...

When I painted my current stand it was during a move. I think the humidity was too high in the wood, thus not allowing the primer to adhere correctly to the wood.

I am building the stand out of construction grade pine. It should be dry enough so I'll just use the Kilz again and see what happens. That is unless someone has a better idea...lol.
 
Use the oil based Kills. I think it is Kilz 2.

But it does sound like the wood had been treated with a silicone water repellant (Thompson's, etc.) at some time in the past. The moisture content in the wood would have to be crazy for the Kilz to not bond well. You would have known when you were painting it. But then again, if it were treated with a silicone product, you would have known that too. :squigglemouth:
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new