Stand strength

richy's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people.are there any engineers etc in here that can give me an opinion on my new stand. All timbers are 140×45 mpg12 structural timbers, fully treated.
Tank size is 1000mm x 800mm x 600 high. Rimless/braceless

The beams across the middle will have joists hangers put on before the tank goes on.
30mm ply sheeting to go on top then 18mm styrofoam

2 walls have plates screwd in through them and legs go right to the floor taking all weight. I think it is more than adequate but would definitely like a second opinion.

Will also have some timbers put in to tie the legs in together to stop them spreading.
Will be wrapped once safe to do so. Thanks all
20200411_125537.jpg
m
20200411_125518.jpg

20200411_125527.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm certainly no engineer( so take it with a grain of salt), I would not trust that stand. First your relying on the sheer stregth of screws to hold up, and one trip, and a kick of one of those front legs, and down goes the tank.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the legs are all tied together and a thin wrap put on it - I would trust it.

You're looking at 1500 pounds spread across 1300 square inches (rough numbers) with 4 legs.

I'd be more worried about making sure the top surface is perfect enough for a rimless tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the legs are all tied together and a thin wrap put on it - I would trust it.

You're looking at 1500 pounds spread across 1300 square inches (rough numbers) with 4 legs.

I'd be more worried about making sure the top surface is perfect enough for a rimless tank.
Witht he way the stand sits, your comfortable with it? Your a much braver soul them me. Even my mixing station is better built with half the weight.

There is nothing holding the front legs up and vertical other then a few screws. A small mistep and down goes the tank. Now if there was horizontal pieces or X braces between them, I would be OK with it, but still nothing preventing the top from racking other then a couple screws. The top is just set ontop of the legs. Nothing holding it from twisting, which can happen just from cleaning the glass with a magnet scraper.

OP it's your tank, your stand, and your floors. If you trust it, then by all means go for it. I personally would not trust it without some additional bracing.

Google "Rocket engineered aquarium stands" for some better ideas on how to make a stand, and make it safe.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Witht he way the stand sits, your comfortable with it? Your a much braver soul them me. Even my mixing station is better built with half the weight.

There is nothing holding the front legs up and vertical other then a few screws. A small mistep and down goes the tank. Now if there was horizontal pieces or X braces between them, I would be OK with it, but still nothing preventing the top from racking other then a couple screws. The top is just set ontop of the legs. Nothing holding it from twisting, which can happen just from cleaning the glass with a magnet scraper.

OP it's your tank, your stand, and your floors. If you trust it, then by all means go for it. I personally would not trust it without some additional bracing.

Google "Rocket engineered aquarium stands" for some better ideas on how to make a stand, and make it safe.

You haven't read the post - have you ?

Will also have some timbers put in to tie the legs in together to stop them spreading.
Will be wrapped once safe to do so. Thanks all

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read the OP actually, you apparently did not read mine.

I said and I quote(with the typo)
homer1475 said:
Witht he way the stand sits, your comfortable with it?

We do not know how he plans on bracing it, therefore my suggestions.

And as I pointed out, nothing holding the top from racking, only 3 screws on each leg.

Were all entitled to our opinion, and in mine, I would not trust it.

OP
OP
richy's reef

richy's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

top surface is perfect, levelled using a laser, and then cross checked with calibrated spirit levels. plus the 18mm styrofoam on top will more than compensate if there was the slightest deviant.

OP
OP
richy's reef

richy's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had 3 people standing on top and jumping up and down and it did not move 1 mm. all legs are screwed into the wall also so not only are they sitting on solid timbers they are fixed too, the 1 leg at the front, which is my only slight worry will be doubled up and 2 layers of ply screwed from inside to inside of leg attached to wall as bracing, so 36mm of marine ply as a brace, alot of stands i see in shops etc are literally chipboard sheets, there is no way that can be stronger than sold wood on end surely.

thanks all

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 people do not = 3/4 of a ton of weight, and doesn't show raking from side to side.

Seriously though, for the best solution, google Rockit engineered DIY aquarium stand for a better understanding of stand fabrication and why all the extra braces are needed.

I am in no way an engineer, but I personally would not trust what you have built with 3/4 of a ton of weight.

I would trust a prefabricated chipboard stand more then what you have built. No doubt the timbers will hold the weight, but it is no way stable.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually it’s RocketEngineer, my screen name.

@OP With the two sides connected to the wall (into studs?) the only concern becomes ensuring that from leg can’t get knocked out of position. There are plenty of good options for this, I leave the specifics to you. With it fixed to the wall and that leg kept from being kicked out, there is plenty of strength for that stand to support your tank.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 people do not = 3/4 of a ton of weight, and doesn't show raking from side to side.

Seriously though, for the best solution, google Rockit engineered DIY aquarium stand for a better understanding of stand fabrication and why all the extra braces are needed.

I am in no way an engineer, but I personally would not trust what you have built with 3/4 of a ton of weight.

I would trust a prefabricated chipboard stand more then what you have built. No doubt the timbers will hold the weight, but it is no way stable.

Wow, you seem to have an agenda in this thread, calm down bro.

For what its worth and a engineer I am not, my vote goes with Rocketman and heavily against anything chipboard, anything chipboard is just silly.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it hold the weight? Absolutely yes

Will it hold the weight safely and long term? Questionable

Not an engineer but I am a framer and work with them daily.

Apart from the bottom bracing and dressing your going to do here is what I would change.

Green =2x4
Blue. =2x6 or 8 what ever you used
Red x. = remove

Capture+_2020-04-11-22-21-38.png

Your center brace bares all the weight, the 2 blocks on either side do nothing more than hold its square and are not load bearing. In fact they transfer more weight to that already overburdened center brace. Remove them and add 2 more braces equally spaced apart.

Currently the front and back runs are only supported by 1 1/2 in, add 2x4s to those sides to even out weight transfer.

Lastly bolting it to the joist in the wall might not be the best idea. This creates 2 sides that cannot settle in and one corner that can. Best to leave it free floating so all 4 corners have the ability to be leveled and to settle together. It might be leveled now but that does not mean it will stay leveled.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it hold the weight? Absolutely yes

Will it hold the weight safely and long term? Questionable

Not an engineer but I am a framer and work with them daily.

Apart from the bottom bracing and dressing your going to do here is what I would change.

Green =2x4
Blue. =2x6 or 8 what ever you used
Red x. = remove

Capture+_2020-04-11-22-21-38.png

Your center brace bares all the weight, the 2 blocks on either side do nothing more than hold its square and are not load bearing. In fact they transfer more weight to that already overburdened center brace. Remove them and add 2 more braces equally spaced apart.

Currently the front and back runs are only supported by 1 1/2 in, add 2x4s to those sides to even out weight transfer.

Lastly bolting it to the joist in the wall might not be the best idea. This creates 2 sides that cannot settle in and one corner that can. Best to leave it free floating so all 4 corners have the ability to be leveled and to settle together. It might be leveled now but that does not mean it will stay leveled.

I like this design

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you seem to have an agenda in this thread, calm down bro.

For what its worth and a engineer I am not, my vote goes with Rocketman and heavily against anything chipboard, anything chipboard is just silly.
Yeah my agenda was to prevent a tank from crashing to the floor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back