Diy cab

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after getting back into the hobby after a few years break, I'm already hyper aware that my current system, reefsys 326, just isn't gonna cut it. I'm already feeling limited on fish stock, and the sump and cabinet space and configuration is honestly a joke. My dream tang gang includes a powder blue and an achilles so I need much more swimming room!

I've a quote confirmed for a 180x75x59 build. Tank only. This will be the long term tank. I almost new this straight away, so I've geared my equipment towards a much bigger system from the get go.

My question is about the stand. The quote I've had for an aluminium non clad stand is 2.5 times the cost of the tank. Just seems nuts! So now I'm considering a DIY cab build.

Is this just crazy? What kind of chances am I realistically taking here trying to put such a big tank on a diy timber cab? I'm handy enough with timber, and have sufficient tools. I'm good with YouTube learning, and putting something together doesn't worry me. What worries me is a bowed stand and a cracked tank in a couple of years time. Would I realistically be better off waiting and investing in an aluminium frame? Considering that the difference is about 2 grand!! Thar kinda cash would pay for the extra radions that I'll need to add to what I have now to complete the lighting.

It's a tough one!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 125g tanks stacked on a 2x4/2x6 stand. Sounds by your dimensions its about the same 182x45x53, im corrected yours is a bit deeper. Anyway easy, youtube diy stand build. I basically built a frame for the tank to sit on out of 2x6 x2 one for tank one for bottom this doesnt change for one tank vs 2 you'll probably have a sump anyway. the uprights are 2x4s. all wood glued and screwed together. At no point should the weight of the tank rest on screws all weight needs to be transfered to the wood its on to the floor. Hope that makes sense. Paint and poly it to protect.

If you are better at woodworking then me plywood is another option. Recently someone post and older video from Jake Adams where he went to a shop that built stands out of plywood the quickly went through a build. might try looking that up.

@RocketEngineer is a member here and has plans for tank stands that I've used in the past.

Just for an idea on wood I have a 180g on a custom (im lucky my lfs has someone that builds nice hardwood stands and canopies) plywood stand. its currently empty but had it running for 5 years at one point. Stand is rock solid and about half the weight of my 2x4/2x6 monstrosity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back