Stand Waterproofing

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to waterproof my stands bottom. I was thinking of getting a hydroponic tub for the bottom but thats around $50.

What could I use to waterproof the stands bottom and somewhat sides. Will it hold water if there is a small overflow? or will it just keep the wood safe?

-Side note: Do you mount any of your controllers "panels" on the side of your tank or all inside? Like auto top off/temp gages etc..

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any epoxy/varnish will work for You. There are even water based 2 part paints I think. They do put of a lot of fumes though. So my query . Is this tank set up & running? I'd want to paint outside if possible. How about a big plastic container with the sides cut out. You might could find a good fit that's cheap.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any epoxy/varnish will work for You. There are even water based 2 part paints I think. They do put of a lot of fumes though. So my query . Is this tank set up & running? I'd want to paint outside if possible. How about a big plastic container with the sides cut out. You might could find a good fit that's cheap.

The stuff says no vocs I do have a bird

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people use white Rustoleum appliance epoxy which is sold at Home Depot. It does help to use a primer or sealer first. My stand is basically a plywood box, and it holds about 3.5" of water if there was a leak. The inside is coated in the epoxy and caulked corners. This stuff is stinky and should be done outside and with a respirator. It cures to an easy to wipe clean gloss white finish.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-1-qt-White-Gloss-Appliance-Paint-241168/100674043

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too late for you, but I put Formica on the floor of mine before final assembly. Then caulked the corners & seems and just painted with primer & latex paint. It'll hold several gallons worth if needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back