starcki damsel, yes or no?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm nearing the end of my stocking of my tank. My girlfriend was never into the hobby but today when I went to pick up coral she fell in love with a starcki damsel. I thought it was a flameback/pygmy angel at first similar. But anyway. I would like to know if I would run into issues. Really at this point it seems to be the starcki or a flameback angel to get her interested. But also half the reason is I love angels so it's an excuse.

My stock list is
4 blue-green reef chromis.
2 O. Clowns
1 purple dartfish

Than, even though it shouldn't matter either way...
1 blood red shrimp
2 skunk cleaner shrimp

Thanks folks. :)

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I've kept starcki as well as flame back and the angel was a lot more aggressive than starcki damsel. Flame angel will swim more between rocks near the bottom , damsel will be more visible in the middle part of aquarium.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55gal. As what I saw in the limited sources with starcki and chromis the chromis get chased and killed. Also read the starcki will attack any similar shaped fish.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both at the moment. I have a pair of Starki and a pair of Flame back.

Over the years I have head flamebacks in several different tanks and always really enjoyed having them. The flamebacks are always on the move through the rock work.

The damsels hang out in the open water area of the tank. I have an assortment of damsels and the starki are the largest, but they are pretty passive.

Granted I have a much larger tank, with a large quantity of fish, and seem to have minimal issues with what some people consider problem fish.

Dave B

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for response, I'm assuming since you still have the flamebacks that they have been alright with coral over the years? I may just let her decide as it sounds they are both pretty good.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like angels so there is always a little picking going on. At the moment I have a pair of Goldens, a mutli color, a flame, a pair of flameback, a venustus and a Goldflake. I have full SPS and clams. My goldflake took out some Blastos. The pair of flamebacks are very well behaved. At night they sleep inside a large colony of pulsing xenia. And watching them cruise in and out of the xenia is one of those great sights that makes the reef keeping hobby the addiction it is for me.

Dave B

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im just worried about that with the chromis + clowns in the open water portion the starcki may get uh well.. annoyed.
If i were to go flameback I would have to wait a while until my coral really starts to grow into the tank so that when there is picking the coral is not really effected. Its funny actually, usually my LFS is very helpful and gives good info but the kid there yesterday that was always honest with me with what i want and dont want said the flameback is asking for trouble and that the Flame Angel is the best bet and 100% reef safe. I mean I wont be basing the decision off them, just saying. Funny how experiences differ from person to person. Same kid who didnt want to sell me two fish at 50, said I was better off spending 20 bucks on chromis just to make sure everything in tank is good even though all my parameters were A-Okay.

Still have research/thinking to do. Thanks for posts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back