Starfish - acro eater? Please ID

choss

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2015
Messages
811
Reaction score
796
Location
Scarsdale New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed recently that two frags of the exact same acropora were healthy one day, then completely white a few days later. I checked parameters and everything was stable. Al the other frags are fine. Then two days later another millepora in the same section of the frag tank experienced the same issue. I removed the frag and there was an asterina starfish under it. A quick search on the other white acro frags I found another. I checked all my frags and removed around 8-10 more. I know people have different views on whether they are friend or foe. These are not as white as the ones I usually get in my display tank. They are a bit more brown with flecks or red. Here are a few pics. Would love an id if anyone out there has experience with these.

IMG_7500 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr

IMG_7501 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr

IMG_7502 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr
 
I have heard the same thing they "could be acro eaters" other people say they are fine .. when I see them in my tank I remove them just to be safe.
 
I picked up a harlequin shrimp. Gave him one of these while acclimating him and he immediately made short work of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new