Starfish - acro eater? Please ID

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed recently that two frags of the exact same acropora were healthy one day, then completely white a few days later. I checked parameters and everything was stable. Al the other frags are fine. Then two days later another millepora in the same section of the frag tank experienced the same issue. I removed the frag and there was an asterina starfish under it. A quick search on the other white acro frags I found another. I checked all my frags and removed around 8-10 more. I know people have different views on whether they are friend or foe. These are not as white as the ones I usually get in my display tank. They are a bit more brown with flecks or red. Here are a few pics. Would love an id if anyone out there has experience with these.

IMG_7500 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr

IMG_7501 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr

IMG_7502 by Chris Hoerenz, on Flickr

Orko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the same thing they "could be acro eaters" other people say they are fine .. when I see them in my tank I remove them just to be safe.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a harlequin shrimp. Gave him one of these while acclimating him and he immediately made short work of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back