Starfish Update!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday was officially one month of having my starfish, who is by far my favorite tank member! :star-struck: I also happened to find the 5th person on the internet to have a West African Biscuit Starfish. And I’m currently in contact with several marine biologists and there’s only about one person in the entire world who exclusively studies and classifies starfish/echinoderms and I emailed them it’s not only for the article I’m writing but also because I have a few personal questions I want answered that the internet can’t answer so I hope they reply. I can tell you public aquariums are one of the worst places to ask questions. I got the generic reply of, “Sorry we get too many requests to accommodate you”. One thing I notice that I want to share was after my water changes (despite heating the water and matching the salinity) and sometimes when he’s on the sand I notice my starfish flexing see my photo below. And to quote a marine biologist who studies invertebrates but focuses on worms this may be the reason why: “Could be flexing due to a change in the oxygen content of the water. In the wild there tends to be deoxygenation that may happen in a layer near the bottom, so if they flex it lifts bits up into the more oxygenated water higher up.” and it makes so much sense. I hope it works out and I will keep everyone updated and if it doesn’t get published I still learned a lot/can share it.
736E5B4E-DD38-4FB6-B8DE-DA2035993A82.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the starfish - wish they lasted more than a month or so in my tank...
I’m sorry! :pleading-face: What kinds did you try and how old was the tank when you added them? Did you drip acclimate them and try and feed them?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommended increasing oxygenation to you. Not that I'm a marine biologist but was right on the money with my observations.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommended increasing oxygenation to you. Not that I'm a marine biologist but was right on the money with my observations.
Yes next time! I’ll add an air stone. It’s interesting. They fascinate me and it only ever happened that one time well it was most noticeable when I did my first water change. Now he’s been good because I heat the water up too I didn’t that time.

Last edited:

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry! :pleading-face: What kinds did you try and how old was the tank when you added them? Did you drip acclimate them and try and feed them?
drip acclimate?
My 2 starfish came on my initial live rock. 8 months and going. 1 went MIA. I suspect died when I dipped a rock in RO :(
The latest appears to be an Asterina. Hmmm

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes next time! I’ll add an air stone. It’s interesting. They fascinate me and it only ever happened that one time well it was most noticeable when I did my first water change. Now he’s been good because I heat the water up too I didn’t that time.
Avoid the airstone since this will result in salt-spray. It might be a good idea to place a powerhead (pointed upwards) in a flow “dead zone” near the bottom of the tank to both draw water towards the bottom of the tank and keep the aquarium cleaner.
Oh, and I love your new profile image! Cookie looks great!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
drip acclimate?
My 2 starfish came on my initial live rock. 8 months and going. 1 went MIA. I suspect died when I dipped a rock in RO :(
The latest appears to be an Asterina. Hmmm
Oh okay they are a pest/common hitchhikers and really different from the typical starfish.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Avoid the airstone since this will result in salt-spray. It might be a good idea to place a powerhead in a flow “dead zone” near the bottom of the tank to both draw water towards the bottom of the tank and keep the aquarium cleaner.
Oh, and I love with your new profile image! Cookie looks great!
That’s true and a good idea. Though I could put the lid on the bucket/put something over it like a cup to disperse the air.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true and a good idea. Though I could put the lid on the bucket/put something over it like a cup to disperse the air.
Oh! I thought you were talking about your tank! Airstones in salt-mixing buckets are fine (though do partially cover the bucket if the water level is high enough).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the first was a Linckia. Hoping it'll appear like magic again one day.
I might have to get a harlequin shrimp for the asterina
Oh boy! I’m sorry to say that little guy is most definitely long dead especially since you took the rock out of the water to move it.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh! I thought you were talking about your tank! Airstones in salt-mixing buckets are fine (though do partially cover the bucket if the water level is high enough).
Nope I have a wave maker. I was talking about aerating the water before water changes and I know simply pouring it further up oxygenates it too.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing's wrong with running an airstone in your tank...if you're getting salt spray turn it down slightly...you have a skimmer now though

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure it it was on that rock or not. Just an assumption. But not seen it in months
How big is the tank? Was it a big one? They are notoriously sensitive and one species that doesn’t typically last long in aquariums due to how sensitive they are. If he was on the rock and got dipped the temperature difference may have shocked and killed him. Starfish when they die literally melt away sadly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing's wrong with running an airstone in your tank...if you're getting salt spray turn it down slightly...you have a skimmer now though
Yup and my ORP is good. I can’t turn it down but I can adjust my powerhead.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Was it a big one? They are notoriously sensitive and one species that doesn’t typically last long in aquariums due to how sensitive they are. If he was on the rock and got exposed to air even for a few seconds it kills them. Starfish when they die literally melt away sadly.
They might not be quite as sensitive to air as is commonly believed...my Fromia has been exposed during water changes by mistake and he's never had an issue

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They might not be quite as sensitive to air as is commonly believed...my Fromia has been exposed during water changes by mistake and he's never had an issue
So air I know is just bad and especially with a species like linckia and with the sudden temperature difference too he probably died! :pleading-face:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back