Starfish Update!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So air I know is just bad and especially with a species like linckia and with the sudden temperature difference too he probably died! :pleading-face:
Yeah probably dead now...just saying that some commonly held beliefs might not be quite as "set in stone" as some would have you believe...according to most people my starfish should've been long dead

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah probably dead now...just saying that some commonly held beliefs might not be quite as "set in stone" as some would have you believe...according to most people my starfish should've been long dead
True! There are always going to be exceptions.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry! :pleading-face: What kinds did you try and how old was the tank when you added them? Did you drip acclimate them and try and feed them?
Fromia, linkia, brittle banded, sand sifting... I actually forgot about one brittle banded that's still alive and kicking (it lives in the rocks and just occasionally sticks a leg or two out).

And yes, they were drip acclimated and fed a variety of foods (including seaweed).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fromia, linkia, brittle banded, sand sifting... I actually forgot about one brittle banded that's still alive and kicking (it lives in the rocks and just occasionally sticks a leg or two out).

And yes, they were drip acclimated and fed a variety of foods (including seaweed).
Fromia, linckia, and sand sifting are notoriously hard to keep happy and fed longterm due to a variety of reasons sadly! Brittle/serpent are much easier and aren’t technically a starfish though the same family it’s deceiving lol. It’s kind of like when we see tomatoes as vegetables but they are really fruit lol.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fromia, linckia, and sand sifting are notoriously hard to keep happy and fed longterm due to a variety of reasons sadly! Brittle/serpent are much easier and aren’t technically a starfish though the same family it’s deceiving lol.
I know they're not technically the same genus, but they're still creepy all the same. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have much better luck with my squad of black sea cucumbers.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know they're not technically the same genus, but they're still creepy all the same. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I KNOW OMG!! I DON’T LIKE THEM! I know they are easy to care for and hardy. But I think they look like they come from a horror movie lol and when I think of a starfish I never think of them.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1658988849927.png

Serpent stars are fun too when they lumber around at night.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Was it a big one? They are notoriously sensitive and one species that doesn’t typically last long in aquariums due to how sensitive they are. If he was on the rock and got exposed to air even for a few seconds it kills them. Starfish when they die literally melt away sadly.
This is just not true. There are literally hundreds of species of starfish live in tidal zones that are exposed to air for hours at a time. There is no logical reason why a starfish would die from being exposed to air, so long as they don’t dry out, they will be just fine, saying that they’ll die if exposed even for a few seconds is misinformation.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just not true. There are literally hundreds of species of starfish live in tidal zones that are exposed to air for hours at a time. There is no logical reason why a starfish would die from being exposed to air, so long as they don’t dry out, they will be just fine, saying that they’ll die if exposed even for a few seconds is misinformation.
That's what I was trying to say... people are so misinformed on starfiah in particular it seems

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are different classes of echinoderms, the sea stars are in Asteroidea and serpent/brittle stars are in Ophiuroidea, both are in the subphylum Asterozoa. Genera is much further down the taxonomic line.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are different classes of echinoderms, the sea stars are in Asteroidea and serpent/brittle stars are in Ophiuroidea, both are in the subphylum Asterozoa. Genera is much further down the taxonomic line.
The conversation just totally ended when you pointed out that starfish aren't quite so sensitive to air exposure haha

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I responded in the other thread about starfish, but I have a serpent star, a couple pretty big brittle stars, and probably a hundred or so of the micro brittle stars, between my 10g and my 29g. The only things that get fed to those tanks are coral powders, frozen mysis, and fish pellets.
Both tanks have live rock from GLR & TBS tho...

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I responded inthe other thread about starfish, but I have a serpent start, a couple pretty big brittle stars, and probably a hundred or so of the micro brittle stars, between my 10g and my 29g. The only things that get fed to those tanks are coral powders, frozen mysis, and fish pellets.
Both tanks have live rock from GLR & TBS tho...
I'm sure the live rock doesn't hurt! Ever try to keep any others?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know. For starfish exposed to tidal zones it’s true but these starfish are in captivity not tidal zones and adapted to the sudden changes. I’m saying linckia in particular who don’t live in tidal zones are very sensitive to changes and exposing them to air is not good and it stresses them out and can lead to it. And I shouldn’t of posted it the way I did and it was only because I heard one person say it right before lol.

Last edited:

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the live rock doesn't hurt! Ever try to keep any others?
Honestly, no I haven't ... yet.
I am the type of person that tried to do all the studying & research that I can before I jump into things. And although I love the look of starfish, I could never bring myself to buying one, knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep it alive.
The ones I have now, we're all hitchhikers, so it wasn't as bad. Amazing enough, all of the tunicates, feather dusters, barnacles and things that were 'supposed' to die off, is still alive, so something has to be keeping it all alive. Maybe the actual 'live' ocean rock may hold some kind of key in keeping them alive.
I have been keeping an eye on these threads with the hopes of catching some information that would help me succeed in keeping one of the other stars happy & healthy.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back