Starfish Help!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any coral eating starfish do great in an aquarium?

Like a chocolate chip starfish? If that is correct, are they supposed to have coral to feed on?
Honestly, in their natural environment corals aren't their primary food source but the reason they tend to survive better is because theyre not very picky about their food source and are generalist feeders. They'll eat other foods aside from corals. Some starfish that don't commonly eat coral will eat coral as well so it has to do with the species. Chocolate chip starfish do fine because they will accept a wide variety of foods. You don't need to buy coral to feed them.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, in their natural environment corals aren't their primary food source but the reason they tend to survive better is because theyre not very picky about their food source and are generalist feeders. They'll eat other foods aside from corals. Some starfish that don't commonly eat coral will eat coral as well so it has to do with the species. Chocolate chip starfish do fine because they will accept a wide variety of foods. You don't need to buy coral to feed them.
We got the blue linkia and a chocolate chip the same time. The linkia went into the reef and the chocolate chip went into a fish only tank. Chocolate chip seems good, we feed it krill and brine daily and seems to be doing great. The linkia didn't seem to eat anything we gave it. Lesson learned. Thanks for all of the help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back