• Both

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that pincushion and tuxedo urchins will starfish. Has anyone experienced that, or is it safe to keep both in the tank at the same time?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that pincushion and tuxedo urchins will starfish. Has anyone experienced that, or is it safe to keep both in the tank at the same time?
I find it to be safe to keep both in the same tank however I prefer urchins since stars don’t do much other than look decorative if I’m honest.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep both urchins and sea stars (and brittle stars) together in the same tank. There's little interaction between them. But why limit the discussion to tuxedo and pincushion urchins? There are so many nice urchin species available to us.

My answer to your question? "yes"

Last edited:

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a pincushion urchin and a red fromia starfish in my IM Nuvo 40 and they had no issues with each other.

If I had to recommend one over the other it would definitely be the urchin. While they can be bulldozers at times, they are basically a reef tank roomba when it comes to consuming algae, and you can find some pretty colorful varieties.

Starfish are great visual additions, but fromias don't eat algae and sandstars can wipe out your sandbed microfauna. Fromias typically don't last long in captivity either, as we don't know exactly what they eat so it's hard to supplement their diet. Mine lasted about a year before he started disintegrating, which is typically how they go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have both and no issues. Ironic is, that they both move fairly slow

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I would not risk getting either, starfish never do good in tanks and only if you are lucky you will get an urchin that will adapt to water changes. I have a baseball sized white pincushion urchin and I got lucky that he is very hardy in my tank. My opinion is that they both stay in the ocean.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back