Staring quarantine tank questions

ladybird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my tank up and running for around a year now. I added a tiny blue tang about 3 weeks ago. Was feeding a couple nights ago, and notice the white spots which I’ve done some research on and believe to be ich. Which now I realized how stupid it was to not quarantine new fish when I put them in my big tank. I didn’t know how simple a quarantine tank could be.

Last night I went out and bought another tank that I got set up and mixed some water in. My plan was to quarantine all the fish in there tonight, and try to do the copper treatment. Then wait the 80 days before I put them back into my big tank. All I have on the quarantine tank is just a heater and power head. My question is weather a canister filter would be good to use for the quarantine tank, and if so, what should I put in the shelves ? I’ve just had it laying around so I thought maybe this would be a good use for it.

Any other tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Major rookie stuff for most I’m sure, but I’m trying to learn as I go. Just trying to save all the fish I can.

I have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 orchid dottyback, 1 blue tang.

Thanks in advance.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm going to preface this post with the fact that I'm not a QT guy. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

If the blue tang is tiny, and if your tank is small (what size is it?), it's going to be stressed out by those other fish, especially the yellow and the dottyback. I've never had one but from what I've read blue tangs get ich very easily and especially when stressed. There could be ich in the system already and your fish are immune since they are well fed and not stressed which would lower resistance.

Before putting all the fish in QT I would consider just putting the blue tang in and watching the others for signs first. If they are healthy and well fed there is a good chance they won't get it anyway.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my tank up and running for around a year now. I added a tiny blue tang about 3 weeks ago. Was feeding a couple nights ago, and notice the white spots which I’ve done some research on and believe to be ich. Which now I realized how stupid it was to not quarantine new fish when I put them in my big tank. I didn’t know how simple a quarantine tank could be.

Last night I went out and bought another tank that I got set up and mixed some water in. My plan was to quarantine all the fish in there tonight, and try to do the copper treatment. Then wait the 80 days before I put them back into my big tank. All I have on the quarantine tank is just a heater and power head. My question is weather a canister filter would be good to use for the quarantine tank, and if so, what should I put in the shelves ? I’ve just had it laying around so I thought maybe this would be a good use for it.

Any other tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Major rookie stuff for most I’m sure, but I’m trying to learn as I go. Just trying to save all the fish I can.

Thanks in advance.
I don’t quarantine anything I put in tank I’m huge believer in letting Mother Nature take care of it

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, blue tangs have a bad reputation for becoming sick. It's probably one of the only 'popular' fish I'd outright avoid.

Stress is the #1 cause of death for new fish and putting them into a QT is very stressful. I highly recommend after you place them into the tank is to cover it with a black bed sheet for 12 hours. Let them sleep.

IME ich doesn't really bother healthy fish much. Once they get stressed, however, things go downhill fast.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT any and all new additions to my tank. I use a dual biowheel HOB, heater, and power head on a 20long. Water changes come from the frag tank.

IMHO, if one of your fish in the DT have Ich, they all do. You are doing the right thing despite what the dice rollers above are suggesting. Eventually they'll crap out and wonder why all their fish just up and died. Yes, healthy fish can have some resistance to the Ich parasite, but any stress whatsoever can tip the scale in it's favor and then you'll be fighting twice the battle.

You will find that tangs can be sensitive to copper, so use great caution and monitor the levels to ensure they remain therapeutic if you do decide to use it. Too low will be ineffective, to high will kill the fish.

I don't use copper at all. Instead, I rely on the Tank Transfer Method. That allows me to out maneuver the Ich parasite without the use of medications at all.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually they'll crap out and wonder why all their fish just up and died.
A bit extreme imo, many people don't QT with successful results. While I'm not one to argue the pros and cons of QT or not to QT, I feel it's unfair to discount others input with this statement.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back