Started Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis and GHA... A daily report....

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer for 21 days? Not sure thats really an option for my aquarium. Anyone ever run their skimmer while dosing this?
Yes but turned down so it doesn't overflow with the cup off. I have an outside line on mine to keep ph stable. I put it back to normal at 8 days. If you still have a lot left at 8 days don't put it back to normal skimming yet.

You have to decide what's most important for your system. You will be amazed that how your corals will perk up once that nasty stuff is gone. It swallows up all the nutrients that your corals would normally be taking in.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer for 21 days? Not sure thats really an option for my aquarium. Anyone ever run their skimmer while dosing this?
I should clarify. I am running my skimmer, but I lifted it up a little higher and turned it all the way down. Plus I removed the cup. But the bubbles aren't coming anywhere near the collection cup area anyway. This stuff doesn't make your skimmer go nuts like some other types of treatments. Red Slime Remover comes to mind!
I am leaving the skimmer running mostly to help with the oxygen level in the tank. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary though?

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many if us are scared to turn off skimmer only because if our reliance on them to keep nutrients to a super low level to help control algae? I mean, I understand it's good to export as much as we can to aid the natural bacteria and whatnot. But without the visual aid of growing algae to punish us, I wonder if nutrient exportation to such extremes would be that big a deal in our minds?

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread, I finally got the courage to add Fluconazole to my tanks last night ( I've had it for a couple of weeks now)! I used Vibrant to kill my bubble algae and control the glass build-up, so I hope this gets the rest.

I'm curious what people plan to do about new corals that get added? I recently set up a coral/invert qt tank. I'm wondering if it would be wise to keep some Fluconazole on hand and everytime a new frag is put in treat the tank. It would be awful to add these nuisance algaes back!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread, I finally got the courage to add Fluconazole to my tanks last night ( I've had it for a couple of weeks now)! I used Vibrant to kill my bubble algae and control the glass build-up, so I hope this gets the rest.

You will have a pristine tank in no time :D

I'm curious what people plan to do about new corals that get added? I recently set up a coral/invert qt tank. I'm wondering if it would be wise to keep some Fluconazole on hand and everytime a new frag is put in treat the tank. It would be awful to add these nuisance algaes back!

Great idea!

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There have been several people over in the other bryopsis thread that is using it in their qt tanks now. I think it's another excellent step towards having a cleaner reef tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many if us are scared to turn off skimmer only because if our reliance on them to keep nutrients to a super low level to help control algae? I mean, I understand it's good to export as much as we can to aid the natural bacteria and whatnot. But without the visual aid of growing algae to punish us, I wonder if nutrient exportation to such extremes would be that big a deal in our minds?

IMO, gas exchange and removal of organics is a much more important function of skimmers than is nutrient reduction.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, gas exchange and removal of organics is a much more important function of skimmers than is nutrient reduction.
Ok, so dont those organics break down to nutrients in our tank? Or have I thought wrong this entire time? I am asking so I can learn, not trying to be a jerk or anything.
There is so much info passed out among the reefing community and online that sometimes I get confused or have learned an "alternative fact"! Haha!
I want to know everthing! And in that, maybe I will remember a little bit of it! LOL!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 3.....
7644af0cc6f3c355b8cfbaa15a2b0487.jpg

37527eef2c8298f202e67b3447a39295.jpg

2404265e969f08f628e5a9bb78391497.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to see a tiny bit of brown film algae on my top rockwork and also on the glass. I usually just clean the glass every couple weeks, but I guess to get rid of this mess I will gladly clean it every few days for a little while!

Fish seemed uninterested that anything is going on. Inverts seem unphased as well. Most corals, especially the softies and LPS look a little fuller today than usual. I have one cyphastria that looks a little lighter than it did a few days ago? But it was a new acquisition, so it cold just be adjusting to my tank as well.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 4.....
I actually have bits and chunks of algae floating around the tank now... It does seem to be graying out on the tips and visually seems thinner already!

20170302_141404.jpg

20170302_141417.jpg

20170302_141420.jpg

20170302_141429.jpg

Everybody seems to be fat and happy still.
20170302_141443.jpg
Day 4 seems to be the day where we really begin to see death happening lol. Now you're going to be glued to it every day watching it die!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 seems to be the day where we really begin to see death happening lol. Now you're going to be glued to it every day watching it die!
I watched your your video series about Fluconazole treatment on YouTube! We played it on the big screen tv at my shop. Everyone was cheering! Haha!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back