Started Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis and GHA... A daily report....

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with macro algae
Not so far. Chaeto has been fine and someone on another thread had actually dosed their macro tank showing the ha dieing and the macro was fine. The only algae this damages has to have ergosterol as its protective coating in order to kill it. That's why it works on bryopsis and green hair algae and not others.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're an anti algae celebrity @prsnlty! ;):D
Lol and it isn't even my discovery! Just cuz I was first to do you tube on it I guess. I did see yesterday that a couple of other people just made some videos however not all of their information is correct.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*has GHA inside it.....
My sump also had bryopsis in it that died when everything else did. I used filter bags to catch loose free floating algae and had to change them daily. I do think the filter bags (with daily replacement)actually helped rather than hindering the progress.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 5..........
First off, when I got home all my fish, corals and inverts look great! However, since I am not skimming and not running GFO or carbon I am starting to see some film algae a bit more than usual. But still not horrible bad. I still haven't scraped my glass, and I'm pretty crazy about clean glass.!
My skimmer is finally starting to form a bit of a "junk bubble" up at the top. I turned it all the way down and removed the collection cup at the start of the process. I believe that since I also removed my filter socks (rethinking those things) that the skimmer is sucking in bits of algae that is dying. No biggie.
I am going to do a full gamut of tests on parameters today to see how things are going. If anything is out of whack I will post about it and the solution I use to rectify. Looking at my corals and tank, I feel that the No3 and Po4 might be elevated.
I have maintained my top off with fresh RODI water obviously during treatment, but will refrain from water changes proper until at least after day 21 if I can. I have seen it takes about that long for the GHA to succumb to the treatment fully.
Also, my chaeto in the sump is doing just fine.... No visible reaction to the treatment at all.

20170303_145358.jpg

20170303_145403.jpg

20170303_145410.jpg

20170303_145424.jpg

20170303_145500.jpg

20170303_145509.jpg

20170303_155040.jpg

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what causes bryopsis to grow & become a problem?

What conditions promotes its growth?

Does it occur naturally on a reef?

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what causes bryopsis to grow & become a problem?

What conditions promotes its growth?

Does it occur naturally on a reef?
Well, from what I have read and learned it can use many different fuels in your tank for growth. (Including ammonia if one article was correct!) So, unlike most algae it cannot be eradicated by simply lowering light or reducing the No3 Po4 levels in the tank...
It grows pretty much in any area of the tank or sump. And can even prohibit the growth of other corals by absorbing the nutrients first and more efficiently and can even grow through some corals flesh I believe.
And I would imagine it does occur naturally? It had to come from somewhere! Haha! But I bet on a reef there are many critters and fish that feast on it to keep it in control. We just dont see many of them in the hobby because they prob arent the most attractive tank inhabitants....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back