Starting ~800 Gallon Custom Reef Tank Build

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this project, very huge tank and a lot of work, its in my wish list to have big tank. Just a little question for you, is that a diy overflow? If so, how did u choose where to drill the holes? And how did u make it?
Thanks.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this project, very huge tank and a lot of work, its in my wish list to have big tank. Just a little question for you, is that a diy overflow? If so, how did u choose where to drill the holes? And how did u make it?
Thanks.

Hole were measured and drilled by builder and I asked this question that why holes are too low, and he explained and material he is using in side the box is kind of rigid mesh that will break down the noise and nothing will pass through, I will be able to control the height of the water in overflow box by adding the gate valve on the bottom of the drain pipes, This overflow box is 26" wide which will cause water in the tank to rush in the narrow channel of the overflow which will help clear surface oils on the water rather than water trickling slowly over the wide overflow box . it is same concept as river in the water passing through the tight channel and water rush through vigorously and if channel is wide then water is flowing smoothly at slow pace, in our case we want water to move through overflow box vigorously. there are 3 holes all together, 2 holes are main drains and 1 emergency drain which will be wide open at the end, all holes are 1.5" and plumbing will be done using schedule 80 grey pipes...

Last edited:

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole were measured and drilled by builder and I asked this question that why holes are too low, and he explained and material he is using in side the box is kind of rigid mesh that will break down the noise and nothing will pass through, I did not are for the looks of fancy overflow but I wanted this to be functional. 2 holes are fully functional and 1 emergency drain, all holes are 1.5" and plumbing will be done using schedule 80 grey pipes...

Thanks, wish you all the best.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just happened to stumble upon this build-thread. The whole thing is insane! (In a good way, of course.). I think when they say, “Go BIG or go home,” they are referencing YOU, my friend. Best wishes. :)

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular - extra special that you get to watch the build happen live.

I wanted to be there to witness this entire build, I took suggestions and gave suggestions but it was smooth build since it was planned well, Now waiting game starts and I am going to give 30 days to cure the silicone, I was told that I can add water any day after Nov 15 but I will add week or two addition just to be safe..

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project is, and continues to be, just insane! Are you putting an alligator in that tank!? Lol! Thanks for bringing us all along with the photos... :)

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All can say is wow, I know this has been a lot of work and planning. Cant wait to see it wet! Awesome JOB!!!

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to keep the black ABS on the bottom of the tank and have no sand/gravel?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is little progress and I did buy 1/2" thick insulation green pad and cut it out to make surface even and with help of my younger brother I was able to slide the sump that was sitting in back yard for over a month. Tank fits nicely and it is sticking out 2 inches and hangs over the slab, I will have to cut out piece of wood and slide it under the sump to support the overhanging part, I did not consider loosing 4 inches of space when we put together the sump and installed 4x4 supports, I did calculation from the wall to the end of the slab, But this should not be show stopper. we have work around for this. More than half of this sump will be filled with rock and front of the sump where I have easy access will have large section of refugium and I will be able to hang light over the fuge with magnets on the steel eye beam. Here are some of the pictures...

20181028_143001.jpg

20181028_143004.jpg

20181028_143014.jpg

20181028_144232.jpg

20181028_144239.jpg

20181028_162944.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great I love to live vicariously through some one else's major build. You have done a wonderful job so far.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great I love to live vicariously through some one else's major build. You have done a wonderful job so far.

Thank you, I have learned a lot by reading and watching threads from other reefers and watching youtube videos, I feel that I owe that back to community and to reefers just like me who wants to learn and start their builds (big or small) and take points of do's and don'ts from everyone...

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am waiting for my display tank, I am taking care of filteration part, I bought this acrylic box that was used as sand filter from freshwater hobby guy and I decided to convert this into nitrate reactor, I got 102 pcs of these ceramic media which is very porus and i used all of these ceramic tubes and it will hold 50 pcs more which i ordred this morning. water will enter from top 1" port and drain from bottom, drain will come up to keep the water in reactor. here are some of the pictures of the reactor..

20180923_132545.jpg

20180923_132551.jpg

20180923_132558.jpg

20180923_132600.jpg

What kind of flow rate are you planning for this?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow rate are you planning for this?
I am planning on starting with slow stream of water, I want provide enough time for water and bacteria to process de-nitrification in this chamber, I have learned that from my last reactor I was able to control the nitrates by controlling the flow of the water from reactor and that reactor had 50 times less media than this reactor. my goal is to have low nitrates, I don't want to have 0 nitrate system..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back