Starting a Nuvo 20, lighting suggestions?

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind comments, I've put a lot of work in to my tank, yours will get there too!

Maxspect recommends the ICV6 controller be within a 2-3 meters of the Ethereal. If you go to CoralVue Customer Support (American parent/marketing company for Maxspect), the first thing they will ask you is how far the ICV6 is from the light, I guess its not that strong of a signal transmitter or something. Both the ICV6 and the Ethereal need an outlet. The chord for the ICV6 is either 5 or 6 feet so that gives you a little length to get it closer. The gyre controller will not work with the Ethereal, only the ICV6 will.

I keep my Ethereal at 75%, however, my corals were already adjusted to powerful lighting beforehand. New corals have to be put in a less lighted areas and moved to sequential higher par areas over time before mounting them permanently, otherwise you're going to fry them if you immediately place them in the tank right under the light after bringing them home.

In Florida we have such high humidity all the time that evaporation is slower than it would be for you in Colorado. I have a Tunze ATO that helps me keep up with evaporation and I would highly suggest you getting one as well since you'll be worrying about evaporation much more than I will be. Consistency is key for tanks this small and an ATO is a valuable tool as such. I go through a 5 gallon bucket of ATO reservoir water once every 6 weeks or so to give everyone some perspective. I use the IM Screen Top on my tank but I have considered getting a custom acrylic lid made for the tank, mostly for aesthetic reasons though.

I'd hate to say it since I spend a lot of time there myself, but the kitchen is not a good place for a reef aquarium. Cooking fumes from grease, oils, etc. will mix with the water through gas exchange and possibly have detrimental effects on the water quality. I would maybe look into getting yourself a strong cabinet or build a DIY tank stand for your aquarium. I found mine at a thrift store for $20 and spent $15 on supplies to spiffy it up a bit.
Thats another reason I was interested in a glass or acrylic top for the tank. I need something that will cover the back portion too. I had over half a gallon of evaporation in one day. Unfortunately my house isnt very big and for now the kitchen is the best place. Fortunately its away from where the cooking happens and away from anywhere where it may get spilled on or any other issues. We always open the window which is inbetween the tank and stove while cooking and quite a ways away from the tank, I'm not super worried about that aspect. Can you setup the maxspect without the ICV6? I guess ultimately I could use the icv6 to setup the light then unhook the icv6 and stow it away and hook it back up if I need to make changes etc correct? My issue is I dont want the icv6 constantly hooked up at the tank. About 15 feet away or less it could be in the stand of my other tank, that would be acceptable for me.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats another reason I was interested in a glass or acrylic top for the tank. I need something that will cover the back portion too. I had over half a gallon of evaporation in one day. Unfortunately my house isnt very big and for now the kitchen is the best place. Fortunately its away from where the cooking happens and away from anywhere where it may get spilled on or any other issues. We always open the window which is inbetween the tank and stove while cooking and quite a ways away from the tank, I'm not super worried about that aspect. Can you setup the maxspect without the ICV6? I guess ultimately I could use the icv6 to setup the light then unhook the icv6 and stow it away and hook it back up if I need to make changes etc correct? My issue is I dont want the icv6 constantly hooked up at the tank. About 15 feet away or less it could be in the stand of my other tank, that would be acceptable for me.
I'm not entirely sure if the programming is mandated by the ICV6 as a constant refresh function or the programming and schedule are stored on the light and it uses the ICV6 as a reference for time. Either way I don't think it would be good for the light and the controller to be disconnected for too long. You can use the light without the controller as it does have some default programs and a single adjustment knob on the rear of the fixture.

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure if the programming is mandated by the ICV6 as a constant refresh function or the programming and schedule are stored on the light and it uses the ICV6 as a reference for time. Either way I don't think it would be good for the light and the controller to be disconnected for too long. You can use the light without the controller as it does have some default programs and a single adjustment knob on the rear of the fixture.
Sounds good I'll try the Icv6 in the cabinet of my other tank, its probably less than 15 feet more than 10 if I had to guess. I'll set it up closer then move it and see if there are issues. I assume if it can communicate occasionally (when i open the cabient door and it regains line of sight lol) it will keep time and program working. We shall see. If not I'll return it or come up with another solution.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good I'll try the Icv6 in the cabinet of my other tank, its probably less than 15 feet more than 10 if I had to guess. I'll set it up closer then move it and see if there are issues. I assume if it can communicate occasionally (when i open the cabient door and it regains line of sight lol) it will keep time and program working. We shall see. If not I'll return it or come up with another solution.
Sounds like a good plan to me! Hope it goes well for you!

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate the help. What spectrum/intensity do you run on yours?
I think it is the 15-16,000K color temperature at 75%

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PAXpress I just received an email about a new Maxspect Razor X from Marine Depot, have you looked into that at all? They only show a very large fixture available, but it may be worth contacting Maxspect to get more information, as a smaller footprint light may not be as expensive.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/03/maxspect-rsx-led/

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the 15-16,000K color temperature at 75%
I did the same color temp and started at around 30-35% and will be ramping up to around 70 or so I believe. Thanks!

@PAXpress I just received an email about a new Maxspect Razor X from Marine Depot, have you looked into that at all? They only show a very large fixture available, but it may be worth contacting Maxspect to get more information, as a smaller footprint light may not be as expensive.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/10/03/maxspect-rsx-led/
I did see that too. I ended up already getting the Ethereal, really like it so far. I'll keep an eye on the RSX they look pretty nice!

Heres a video of the tank in action. I also posted up a build thread in the nano section if you'd like to follow along! Thanks for all the tips guys!

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same color temp and started at around 30-35% and will be ramping up to around 70 or so I believe. Thanks!

Looking good!

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did see that too. I ended up already getting the Ethereal, really like it so far. I'll keep an eye on the RSX they look pretty nice!

Heres a video of the tank in action. I also posted up a build thread in the nano section if you'd like to follow along! Thanks for all the tips guys!

SWEET, congrats!

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals seem fine. Trumpet wasnt as open as usual will continue to monitor, could be the calc levels are lower than it prefers. Should be fine for now. What do you guys think on the back chambers? Should I be fine without media and a skimmer?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals seem fine. Trumpet wasnt as open as usual will continue to monitor, could be the calc levels are lower than it prefers. Should be fine for now. What do you guys think on the back chambers? Should I be fine without media and a skimmer?
Trumpets can be a bit finicky, they're tough though. If you think light is the issue with it, move it to a shadier or less lighted spot.

You can go without a skimmer if you track you water parameters often and do 10% or so water changes every 3-5 days. Also depends on how heavy you feed and how many fish/corals/inverts you have. I definitely couldn't go skimmer-less in my tank with my bio-load.

I run filter floss and phosphate reducing pads in my media baskets. Change the filter floss once a week and the phosphate reducing pads every other week. I have ran carbon off and on in the past but it just sort of depends on how dirty my fish are and such, right now I've got feeding tuned to where it doesn't affect clarity all that much in between water changes and my goby is still too small to keep things stirred up.

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the xr30. The xr15 with suffice but the xr30 will give you more coverage and options later on.
I ended up trying something a little different. I got the Maxspect Ethereal. So far its really great and coverage is great. Looks great on the tank too. I am still working on ramping up the intensity for now and only max 40% for some channels.

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trumpets can be a bit finicky, they're tough though. If you think light is the issue with it, move it to a shadier or less lighted spot.

You can go without a skimmer if you track you water parameters often and do 10% or so water changes every 3-5 days. Also depends on how heavy you feed and how many fish/corals/inverts you have. I definitely couldn't go skimmer-less in my tank with my bio-load.

I run filter floss and phosphate reducing pads in my media baskets. Change the filter floss once a week and the phosphate reducing pads every other week. I have ran carbon off and on in the past but it just sort of depends on how dirty my fish are and such, right now I've got feeding tuned to where it doesn't affect clarity all that much in between water changes and my goby is still too small to keep things stirred up.
Well with one fish one crab and 2 snails... I'd like to think my bioload is pretty low and I plan to keep it that way. Every 3-5 days is a bit too often for my blood... I was thinking something like 30-40% every two weeks. For now I don't have a skimmer but might look at that later... Not running carbon or phosphate reducers yet. I need to get a media basket for the tank before I can easily do that, guess I could just plunk it in one of the rear chambers... What pads do you use?

Edit: side note I think the trumpet is fine. Seems to at night time before lights go out shrivel up a bit, think that might be more related to flow than light though. I've seen him looking normal though more towards lunch time. Maybe I have my lights on too long. How long do you run your lights?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with one fish one crab and 2 snails... I'd like to think my bioload is pretty low and I plan to keep it that way. Every 3-5 days is a bit too often for my blood... I was thinking something like 30-40% every two weeks. For now I don't have a skimmer but might look at that later... Not running carbon or phosphate reducers yet. I need to get a media basket for the tank before I can easily do that, guess I could just plunk it in one of the rear chambers... What pads do you use?

Edit: side note I think the trumpet is fine. Seems to at night time before lights go out shrivel up a bit, think that might be more related to flow than light though. I've seen him looking normal though more towards lunch time. Maybe I have my lights on too long. How long do you run your lights?
I mean it's your tank, so you can do whatever you like haha I was just letting you know what I had to do when I was going without a skimmer :)

I use Acurel Phosphate Reducing pads, just cut them into little squares/rectangles to go inside the media baskets. I always put them on the bottom shelf of the basket.

I'm probably a little on the long side with the lights, mine run for 14 hours but they have a 3 hour ramp-up in the morning and 3 hour down ramp in the evening. Starts at 8:00 am and ends at 10:00 pm. My figuring was that it closely resembled the summer photoperiod for reefs in the Florida Keys :cool: I'm still figuring out my lights though and may be adjusting it down to 12 hours and changing the spectrum a little for some more color pop.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a Nuvo 20 as well with mostly LPS. Might want to consider a 25% weekly water change. For me it works perfectly and allows me to feed the corals without having to worry about polluting the tank. I also run a small DOC skimmer that does a pretty good job, ceramic bio media (balls) in one of the back chambers and a small bag of GFO and Carbon. Tank seems pretty healthy and I attribute that to water changes more than anything else. Here are a few pictures.
20170928_130504.jpg
20170928_130702.jpg
20170928_130724.jpg

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it's your tank, so you can do whatever you like haha I was just letting you know what I had to do when I was going without a skimmer :)

I use Acurel Phosphate Reducing pads, just cut them into little squares/rectangles to go inside the media baskets. I always put them on the bottom shelf of the basket.

I'm probably a little on the long side with the lights, mine run for 14 hours but they have a 3 hour ramp-up in the morning and 3 hour down ramp in the evening. Starts at 8:00 am and ends at 10:00 pm. My figuring was that it closely resembled the summer photoperiod for reefs in the Florida Keys :cool: I'm still figuring out my lights though and may be adjusting it down to 12 hours and changing the spectrum a little for some more color pop.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the advice! This isn't my only tank and if I do water changes weekly I'll never get a weekend but I'll probably get a divorce! I'll try 40% water changes biweekly see how that does for algae/parameters and adjust from there. I'll look into getting some media and a basket. Skimmer will have to wait a bit unless I can find a moderately priced used one. I'll watch the selling forums.

I have a Nuvo 20 as well with mostly LPS. Might want to consider a 25% weekly water change. For me it works perfectly and allows me to feed the corals without having to worry about polluting the tank. I also run a small DOC skimmer that does a pretty good job, ceramic bio media (balls) in one of the back chambers and a small bag of GFO and Carbon. Tank seems pretty healthy and I attribute that to water changes more than anything else. Here are a few pictures.
20170928_130504.jpg
20170928_130702.jpg
20170928_130724.jpg
Wow talk about chalice palace! I'm pretty envious, I've been too cheap to get any of those really multi colored chalices. Maybe someday soon I will. I'm hoping a low bioload will help me not need to do weekly changes and that 40% or so every other week will suffice. We will have to see. I'm prepping my water for the water changes I'm doing tomorrow. Total of 60 gallons should take care of all my tanks I think....

Thanks for the help guys! I'll post up some pics and maybe a video soon.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the advice! This isn't my only tank and if I do water changes weekly I'll never get a weekend but I'll probably get a divorce! I'll try 40% water changes biweekly see how that does for algae/parameters and adjust from there. I'll look into getting some media and a basket. Skimmer will have to wait a bit unless I can find a moderately priced used one. I'll watch the selling forums.

Wow talk about chalice palace! I'm pretty envious, I've been too cheap to get any of those really multi colored chalices. Maybe someday soon I will. I'm hoping a low bioload will help me not need to do weekly changes and that 40% or so every other week will suffice. We will have to see. I'm prepping my water for the water changes I'm doing tomorrow. Total of 60 gallons should take care of all my tanks I think....

Thanks for the help guys! I'll post up some pics and maybe a video soon.
Right on man. Let us know how that works out!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back