Starting a Par Database, please read and share your numbers

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most people I’m not able to justify the price of owning my own Par meter and have been just guessing for years with my lighting, recently I was able to borrow a apogee 210 and to my surprise I have been very close in my estimations.

I started thinking about how all my estimations came from information I was able to gather from people who had tested par on tanks of similar size using similar lighting and how a database of par measurements may be extremely useful to those that don’t have access to a Meter.

I’m starting a thread for people to post Par data.. let’s try to keep that thread clear of comments just Par measurements and information about your system, all comments and suggestions should be posted here.

If you can participate in providing numbers for the Par Database this is the suggested information that should be included in your post:
  • Type of meter you are using for measurements
  • Type of lighting.. be specific as possible and include things like manufacturer, age, length and type of bulbs for those t5 users, wattage and reflectors for the MH users.
  • LED users if possible include percentages used for different colors
  • Height of lighting over your water
  • Size of tank and depth of water
  • Pumps or power heads running?
  • Any other factors that may contribute to readings such as room lighting, windows, tank in sunroom? etc.
  • A picture with measurements would be ideal but a list/description would be ok as well.
  • Provide as many points as possible such as bottom of tank left, right and center.. middle of tank left, right, center, front and back etc.
Post your Par numbers here in the Database..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-par-database.538894/

Remember post numbers only in the Database.

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting point that can be potentially made from the par measurements thus far.. Regardless of the intensity the LED fixtures put out in a very point source direction, it seems the wavelength intensity sits higher in the spectrum(increased Par readings and lumen efficiency is obvious at lower depths but tapers off quickly) and thus does not penetrate as well as the recorded T5s spectrum. I would be curious of the LED fixtures running at 100% intensity on all channels to see where the manufacturer geared the spectrum measured in depth penetration, cant afford a true spectrometer. I know how loose these observations as there are so many many contributing factors but are interesting none the less.
Just wanted to spur some conversation, Im probably not right at all haha.
What do you see looking at the data?

One other point that can be touched upon are the amount of UVa and UVb a typical fluorescent tube puts out(think tanning beds) compared to the limited bandwidth of an individual wavelength LED or lack there of.. how big of a role does this play in growth can we make fair judgement of how a light will grow plants based on par alone.. I mean our goal here is to re-create the sun no?

Last edited:

wowatracy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribing, can't wait to see people's numbers coming in since my PAR meter just arrived and I've been trying to fine tune my lighting.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone participating! We are getting some interest and the data base is growing :)

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to break down and purchase a PAR meter after bleaching a 4 head Aussie Gold Torch, (Ouch!!!) in my coral QT. I turned down the lights by 50% and am feeding it and the color is coming back, but I am spending waaaaay to much money on coral to not have an accurate reading on PAR.

Just figured I would ask if anyone else has either of the following setups just to get similar readings to compare for better accuracy...

Coral QT:
Tank - IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon
Tank Specs - 23.5" L x 13" H x 15" W
Lights - 1 x AI Prime HD
Light Distance - 13" from water level

Display Tank:
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Tank Specs - 71" L x 23.6" H x 25.6" W
Lights - 4 x AI Hydra 26 HD

Either way, I will be ordering an Apogee SQ-520 tomorrow so I should be able to post my results to the database this weekend, (unless life happens and something comes up).

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to break down and purchase a PAR meter after bleaching a 4 head Aussie Gold Torch, (Ouch!!!) in my coral QT. I turned down the lights by 50% and am feeding it and the color is coming back, but I am spending waaaaay to much money on coral to not have an accurate reading on PAR.

Just figured I would ask if anyone else has either of the following setups just to get similar readings to compare for better accuracy...

Coral QT:
Tank - IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon
Tank Specs - 23.5" L x 13" H x 15" W
Lights - 1 x AI Prime HD

Display Tank:
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Tank Specs - 71" L x 23.6" H x 25.6" W
Lights - 4 x AI Hydra 26 HD

Either way, I will be ordering an Apogee SQ-520 tomorrow so I should be able to post my results to the database this weekend, (unless life happens and something comes up).

Looking forward to your database contributions.. thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back