Starting an algae reactor?

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have installed an algae reactor, Saturday, and put in two tennis ball sized portions of chaeto. I quit dosing nopox as it doesn't play well with chaeto as I understand. Running it opposite my light schedule with some overlap for a total of 15 hours. PO4 is rising as I wait for the chaeto. (.05) with puts in .17 range now.

Now the question is can/should I run a little gfo while this is getting established or dose Phosphat-E? Or neither and just be a little more patient? Just trying to make sure I don't have any crazy spikes that will bother sps while switching over

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manage nutrients to keep from any negative impact to corals and gradually reduce that control as the reactor comes up to full capacity. If you can manage GFO so it doesn't pull too much out, that's fine. I had better luck hitting targets using lanthanum chloride though.

OP
OP
jcates

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manage nutrients to keep from any negative impact to corals and gradually reduce that control as the reactor comes up to full capacity. If you can manage GFO so it doesn't pull too much out, that's fine. I had better luck hitting targets using lanthanum chloride though.
That was my thoughts as well. At least with lanthanum it's a more measured approach.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
GFO may have an affect on the chaeto. Allow the unit to seed itself which will reduce the phos and nitrate - which GFO is often used for

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I have installed an algae reactor, Saturday, and put in two tennis ball sized portions of chaeto. I quit dosing nopox as it doesn't play well with chaeto as I understand. Running it opposite my light schedule with some overlap for a total of 15 hours. PO4 is rising as I wait for the chaeto. (.05) with puts in .17 range now.

Now the question is can/should I run a little gfo while this is getting established or dose Phosphat-E? Or neither and just be a little more patient? Just trying to make sure I don't have any crazy spikes that will bother sps while switching over
What ya mean as you wait for the chaeto?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back