starting fresh because of hydroids

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i had a hydroid problem and i’m starting fresh with a water box 20

here’s my plan i will keep my old tank up till my new tank hits 8 months so i can keep my black widow anemone but i have a few questions

can hydroids spread on shrimp or nassrius snails or cerith snails carry them to my new tank same with my wrasse i wanna keep and my bta

and is it ok if i frag my chalice coral and keep a peice of that or will that also carry it to my new tank

and i’m mainly restarting my tank to start fresh and take my time instead of rushing things like my old tank and learn from my mistakes

and if you made it this far here’s a picture of my wrasse named lumi

39364E31-7E18-4A2C-BB4C-C661845074FF.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful wrasse, what kind is it? I would be mostly concerned about the snail. Maybe give them a good scrubbing

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful wrasse, what kind is it? I would be mostly concerned about the snail. Maybe give them a good scrubbing
ok i will scrub all the snails i will have two months before i’m going to be added them to the tank and he’s a pygmy wrasse

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I would still recommend treating the old tank before moving any corals or anything over to your new tank.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if the fish and bta are healthy then the hydroid wouldn't be carried on its tissue. Snail shells not so sure, you probably want to exam everyone under a magnifying class to make sure. Chalice maybe do a few strong dips before bringing it in

But in all honestly, eventually they'll end up back in your system (esp the small branching ones) so its more important to create an environment where they can't explode and take over a tank rather than trying to preventing them from entering.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I would still recommend treating the old tank before moving any corals or anything over to your new tank.

yea i’m probably gonna sell all my others besides my chalice because i don’t think it can spread from the actual coral flesh

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if the fish and bta are healthy then the hydroid wouldn't be carried on its tissue. Snail shells not so sure, you probably want to exam everyone under a magnifying class to make sure. Chalice maybe do a few strong dips before bringing it in

But in all honestly, eventually they'll end up back in your system (esp the small branching ones) so its more important to create an environment where they can't explode and take over a tank rather than trying to preventing them from entering.
yea that’s why i’m trying to take things slow this time and thanks for the advice what dip would you recommend

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea that’s why i’m trying to take things slow this time and thanks for the advice what dip would you recommend
I could be wrong here but I don't think dipping kills hydroids

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe fw and peroxide? From what I've heard coralRX doesn't work on them

Alternatively maybe you can remove all the snails, fish and inverts, and leave all the corals in your old tank and do 1 treatment of fenbendazole? Supposedly thats the only thing that kills hydroids.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe fw and peroxide? From what I've heard coralRX doesn't work on them

Alternatively maybe you can remove all the snails, fish and inverts, and leave all the corals in your old tank and do 1 treatment of fenbendazole? Supposedly thats the only thing that kills hydroids.
yea i might do that and i don’t think dipping works

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back