Starting my new 30x30 sps...

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the concept...always love a good walk around tank!. I had thought about this back in the day and was going to put a dry well in the center big enough to allow pumps to be placed there pushing out to the glass panels.
I have a GC 60g 24x24x24 built with 1/2" (12mm) low iron glass. MP10s BARELY work on this tank, I assume you'll have the same size (if not thicker) glass? I just bought new wet sides and I'm having problems with them staying on in certain modes because of the drag of the new parts. I'm waiting on some Molykote I ordered...hoping that will make things smoother. That said, I have 4 MP40s laying around if I have to go back to them. They are monstrous in a 60 cube though.
I'm looking forward to your finished product!

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I have a small collection of MP40s, 10s and a 60 from over the years and will mix and match to find the best combo. I only wish the RF Mobius upgrade chips were available... I cant find them anywhere and Ecotech says no idea when they will get more.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is taking longer than told, but that’s expected. Gives me more time to cure the live rock and cycle in drums. My dilemma is I found a mantis shrimp a couple weeks ago and have become fond of it. Never kept one before and am considering keeping it in the display. So much second hand info on here... are they that destructive?! I’ll try to get photo of it, it’s about 1.5 inches.
1648925856162.jpeg

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 in my 90g back in the day bc all my rock was ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater...they eat fish, crabs, shrimp, etc, period. IMO catch it now, set up a 10-20g for it and enjoy, they are incredible creatures. I assume it will be an N. Wennerae as they are the most common. Here's a great list of them...this guy talked about them to our club in '08 or so...pretty freaking awesome creatures!

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 in my 90g back in the day bc all my rock was ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater...they eat fish, crabs, shrimp, etc, period. IMO catch it now, set up a 10-20g for it and enjoy, they are incredible creatures. I assume it will be an N. Wennerae as they are the most common. Here's a great list of them...this guy talked about them to our club in '08 or so...pretty freaking awesome creatures!
Thanks for the list! I believe the Mantis is N. Wennerae and since my main tank is delayed, im gonna set up a 10g for the Mantis as a permanent home. So far im just feeding it pellets and it seems happy, albeit lonely.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. They are pretty much solitary creatures...throw a cheap crab in there and watch it go to work! They are meat eaters...
If you ever get the chance, check out some videos on them. They have the most sophisticated eyes of any creature that we know of. Quite neat.

Here's a funny version of what they are about lol

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sweet on the tank. Mine took 3 weeks in shipping alone...stupid Fedex let it sit in Atlanta for a bit. I live in Maryland...3 weeks from Tennessee?! GTFOH!

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking about the death and am wondering if anyone here thinks a mosquito repellant can cause trouble. My man cave where the tank sits is a converted garage that is open to our backyard. I love the indoor outdoor dual setting but we are having a heat wave in Los Angeles right now and the mosquitos are in full force. So i fired up a mosquito repeller that was perhaps 5 feet from the Mantis tank. The mosquito machine produces an invisible gas? that keeps them away. I had it running for a couple of hours with fans in the room for circulation with the garage door wide open to the outside. This is the only thing i can think of...

1649441238095.png

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"d-allethrin
The active ingredient in the popular Thermacell devices is d-allethrin, which the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) says is highly toxic to aquatic life and dangerous if swallowed or inhaled.Jul 2, 2021"
.... I think i found my answer. Do not use around your tanks!... Im gonna check for any other deaths when i get home from work. I should see evidence of dead pods, etc as well.

"Allethrin, the active ingredient in Thermacell, is classified as a non-persistent insecticide, meaning it breaks down relatively quickly in the environment. It doesn’t leave any residue in the environment where it’s operated, but Thermacell should always be used in a well-ventilated area. The Thermacell product should be kept away from food and food preparation areas though, to prevent direct ingestion of the ingredient."

Last edited:

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks...my buddy lost a bunch of fish and such when a rehab company sprayed for mold after his dishwasher leaked and damaged his downstairs. It doesn't take much, unfortunately.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad and a hard lesson learned fortunately early in this restart. Ive done the flea bombs indoor before with no deaths with just covering the tank with towels... go figure.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all of my shrimp and crabs once after using a "bug bomb" in the house. I covered the tank with plastic but I left the skimmer on because I was worried about there not being enough oxygen with the tank covered in plastic. I will never make that mistake again.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scanned the tank and the container of live rock and cant find anything dead. In fact this gorgonian looking soft coral that came with my live rock looks pretty good. The chemicals must only affect crustacean types. Also we cant draw anything conclusive from my experience either. Im glad i read about that stuff though.
1649453860551.png

Back