Starting the Clock with Copper

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So copper treatment is 30 days plus 14 day observation. If you were to put fish into the med tank at different days, does the clock restart at the day the last fish goes in? Or once the first fish that went in has been in for 30 days plus observation, they can be removed and the remaining fish serve out their time until they hit the 30d+observ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So copper treatment is 30 days plus 14 day observation. If you were to put fish into the med tank at different days, does the clock restart at the day the last fish goes in? Or once the first fish that went in has been in for 30 days plus observation, they can be removed and the remaining fish serve out their time until they hit the 30d+observ?
Treatment calls for Full 30 days. If you remove fish, yes clock restarts.
30 days at 80 degrees at therapuetic level 2.25 - 2.5 . Maintain 2.5 if possible monitored with a very reliable Copper kit such as Hanna

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run quarantine times beginning with the day that the last fish went in. I don’t release a quarantine group until the last fish has gone through the full time. I do see what you’re getting at, but personally, I’m pretty cautious when it comes to quarantine.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes - it starts when you put the last fish in. In fact - there is a lot of data suggesting that fish should be quarantined in 'batches' i.e. = you dont add fish to a prior quarantine. If you do - the clock starts over

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run quarantine times beginning with the day that the last fish went in. I don’t release a quarantine group until the last fish has gone through the full time. I do see what you’re getting at, but personally, I’m pretty cautious when it comes to quarantine.
Jay
I figured as much but just wanted to confirm. Friend of mine is going to remove his fish and treat for Ich and he will most likely not be able to remove them all at once so thought he might be able to start treatment as he got fish out of the DT. But sounds like that’s a no go, Thanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Treatment calls for Full 30 days. If you remove fish, yes clock restarts.
30 days at 80 degrees at therapuetic level 2.25 - 2.5 . Maintain 2.5 if possible monitored with a very reliable Copper kit such as Hanna
This isn't totally clear - In other words - If you add a fish 15 days into a QT treatment - ALL of the fish need to go through the entire QT process again. The problem here - is that you're submitting your fish to longer QT/copper than needed - so - you're putting the original fish at higher risk with QT - I would NEVER - add fish to a QT - just QT the ones that are in Qt - add them to your display - and then QT the rest

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back