Starting with a 40 Breeder Build

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my reef tank journey.

As the title stated, 40B is the starting point.

This will be a slow built, due to budget restriction.

Couple things I just bought:
  • BRS 4 stage Rodi
  • 40lbs of dry rocks (bleached for a week)
  • Eshopps overflow medium box (in the mail)
  • Refractometer (in the mail)
I am a bit weary about drilling the tank. But after watching those videos, as long I am not forcing the drill, it does seem I should be fine.

I have a 20g long that will be my sump. Somewhat new. cleaned up and make sure the silicone are good. Bought a sump kit from ebay for this.

So, the next plan is drilling and glueing the sump kit. When they arrived.

Couple photos that I just took:

IMG_20200517_110501_01.jpg

20200531152651s.jpg

IMG_20200526_104934_01.jpg

Purchase plan:
  • Salt mix - Tropic Marin Pro Reef
  • Dry sand
  • Jebao wave maker x2 (or Vortech MP10. this gonna be a used one though. Need to find a deal)
  • Return pump (undecided)
  • Plumbing. Hard plumbing is my 1st choice. Soft plumbing would be easier but is not visually appealing.
  • Lights(leaning to start with 1 AI prime then adding another one)
  • Protein skimmer(I think I can delay this as one of the last one I buy)
Wish List:
  • ATO
Livestock Wish List: (updated 7/30/2020)
  • Clown fish x2
  • Yellow watchman goby
  • Royale Gramma
  • Bangai Cardinals x2
  • Blue Mandarin ( this will be way in the future.)
  • Zoas
  • Duncan
  • GSP
PS: Of course will only start adding fish after cycling. And will start with 2 clown 1st.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit 7/4/2020:
Somehow I totally forgot that I won a frickin starter pack and got that on 4/27. So I dont need buy another salt. LoL
15939083326644095932117634712325.jpg

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I know your budget is tight, here's a couple options to consider.

1) Often with new setups, you end up doing a many large volume water changes. Have you considered starting with a cheaper brand of salt (not knocking Tropic Marin Pro Reef) as the added purity really isn't necessary for cycling rock if you're going to dump frequently. That should save you some money and allow you to buy an ATO, which I would put ahead of many of your other purchases. You can then switch over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef - slowly if you have coral, quickly if you still just have rock/fish.
2) Yellow tang is a no go. I'd also hold off on any tangs in this tank. If you're looking for color, as long as you have a lid, look at midas blennys. If you want algae eating, I'd look at a lawnmower blenny.
3) Make sure you follow the directions on seting up your RODI. Far too many hobbyists miss the parts about rinsing the carbon separately from the membrane :)
4) Drilling will be a peace of cake. Go slow. Slower than that. And spend the extra money and get some plumbers putty/water to cool down your drill. Don't apply pressure- let the drill do the cutting. If it's taking forever, you're doing it right! Once you pop out the first hole, you'll understand how easy it is, so long as you aren't impatient!
5) Make sure you calibrate your refractometer. You can buy calibration solution or make your own. You want to calibrate it with this solution, not just RO water to zero it.
6) Your going to do great! I think you've got all the pieces for a sucsessful reef! Take it slow, ask questions, and enjoy all the new discoveries! You've got this!

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I know your budget is tight, here's a couple options to consider.

1) Often with new setups, you end up doing a many large volume water changes. Have you considered starting with a cheaper brand of salt (not knocking Tropic Marin Pro Reef) as the added purity really isn't necessary for cycling rock if you're going to dump frequently. That should save you some money and allow you to buy an ATO, which I would put ahead of many of your other purchases. You can then switch over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef - slowly if you have coral, quickly if you still just have rock/fish.
2) Yellow tang is a no go. I'd also hold off on any tangs in this tank. If you're looking for color, as long as you have a lid, look at midas blennys. If you want algae eating, I'd look at a lawnmower blenny.
3) Make sure you follow the directions on seting up your RODI. Far too many hobbyists miss the parts about rinsing the carbon separately from the membrane :)
4) Drilling will be a peace of cake. Go slow. Slower than that. And spend the extra money and get some plumbers putty/water to cool down your drill. Don't apply pressure- let the drill do the cutting. If it's taking forever, you're doing it right! Once you pop out the first hole, you'll understand how easy it is, so long as you aren't impatient!
5) Make sure you calibrate your refractometer. You can buy calibration solution or make your own. You want to calibrate it with this solution, not just RO water to zero it.
6) Your going to do great! I think you've got all the pieces for a sucsessful reef! Take it slow, ask questions, and enjoy all the new discoveries! You've got this!

Hey @andrewey, Thank you for the feedback.

1. I didnt think about that. I am planning fishless cycle, I would have thought I wouldnt need to swap water too many times. but thank you, I do think that I should prioritize the ATO for stability.
  2. lawnmower blenny. ty let me add that to my wish list for the yellow tang alternatives
  3. Unfortunately I did get the rodi used. but it does comes with new filters. Which I plan to install. Thank you again. I would have thought I can just plug in the new filters and just run it for few hours then use it
  4. Yup. will do.
  5. I just checked... it doesnt come with the solution. so... here is to ordering one now.
  6. I know it will be slow. :D

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to post some pictures playing around with rocks.
Front:
IMG_20200606_113937.jpg

Top:
IMG_20200606_113930.jpg

The one on the front right is for a possible GSP placement. (If I am brave enough)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @andrewey, Thank you for the feedback.

1. I didnt think about that. I am planning fishless cycle, I would have thought I wouldnt need to swap water too many times. but thank you, I do think that I should prioritize the ATO for stability.
  2. lawnmower blenny. ty let me add that to my wish list for the yellow tang alternatives
  3. Unfortunately I did get the rodi used. but it does comes with new filters. Which I plan to install. Thank you again. I would have thought I can just plug in the new filters and just run it for few hours then use it
  4. Yup. will do.
  5. I just checked... it doesnt come with the solution. so... here is to ordering one now.
  6. I know it will be slow. :D
Even with a fishless cycle, since you're introducing a source of ammonia, it will eventually get processed into nitrates. It's not uncommon for many cycles to end with nitrate levels around 40-80 or more. Although you could absolutely start at this level, it's usally best to chuck this water to drop your nitrate level down, as white rocks + high nitrates in a new tank has the chance of causing you green hair algae issues down the road. Not to say you won't go through the normal cycle of new tank uglies, but it will save you a ton of heartache later on. If however, you managed to end your cycle with nitrates that weren't too high, then you wouldn't necessarily need to change any of the water (you would if the rock was leaching phosphate, which is another source of "algae fertilizer", but I'm guessing that won't be an issue in your case because of your rock selection).

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally surprised by USPS, got my overflow box.
20200606181415s.jpg

I will drill it tomorrow.

Man.. I didn't think the overflow box would be this big.. but I did get it at the same price of the small one.

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my reef tank journey.

As the title stated, 40B is the starting point.

This will be a slow built, due to budget restriction.

Couple things I just bought:
  • BRS 4 stage Rodi
  • 40lbs of dry rocks (bleached for a week)
  • Eshopps overflow medium box (in the mail)
  • Refractometer (in the mail)
I am a bit weary about drilling the tank. But after watching those videos, as long I am not forcing the drill, it does seem I should be fine.

I have a 20g long that will be my sump. Somewhat new. cleaned up and make sure the silicone are good. Bought a sump kit from ebay for this.

So, the next plan is drilling and glueing the sump kit. When they arrived.

Couple photos that I just took:

IMG_20200517_110501_01.jpg

20200531152651s.jpg

IMG_20200526_104934_01.jpg

Purchase plan:
  • Salt mix - Tropic Marin Pro Reef
  • Dry sand
  • Jebao wave maker x2 (or Vortech MP10. this gonna be a used one though. Need to find a deal)
  • Return pump (undecided)
  • Plumbing. Hard plumbing is my 1st choice. Soft plumbing would be easier but is not visually appealing.
  • Lights(leaning to start with 1 AI prime then adding another one)
  • Protein skimmer(I think I can delay this as one of the last one I buy)
Wish List:
  • ATO
Livestock Wish List:
  • Clown fish x2
  • Yellow watchman goby
  • Six lines wrasse
  • Orchid dottyback
  • Yellow tang (I dont think I can add this for this small tank) alternatives?
  • Blue Mandarin ( this will be way in the future.)
  • Zoas
  • Duncan
PS: Of course will only start adding fish after cycling. And will start with 2 clown 1st.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hi there! Following along. I am on the very same path as you but in the planning stage for the 40 gal/ 20 gal setup. Just bought an RODI and Tunze 3155 ATO. Have a 29 gal with fish only currently. Like you, I don't know what lights or skimmer to get. I purchased Seachem Stability and put a pinch of fish food in each day. Also, had Coralsea live sand. In two weeks, my tank was cycled.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just “completed” my 40 breeder build! Yours is looking good so far! Very similar to what I did!

Hey,
Just looked at your 40B build. Looks good. Thank you for giving me example for the plumbing. I am planning herbie overflow too.

I was wondering if I want to drill for the return. But I decided not. I'll stick with pvc over the top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Following along. I am on the very same path as you but in the planning stage for the 40 gal/ 20 gal setup. Just bought an RODI and Tunze 3155 ATO. Have a 29 gal with fish only currently. Like you, I don't know what lights or skimmer to get. I purchased Seachem Stability and put a pinch of fish food in each day. Also, had Coralsea live sand. In two weeks, my tank was cycled.

Hey,

Thank you for the follow. The light that I will buy is the AI prime HD 16. I will start with one 1st. Then add another in the future.

I will get dry sand to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gabrieltackitt
How did you screw on the overflow?
I was thinking this way
Inside box > gaskett > aquarium > outside box > gaskett > screw.

Eshoops video is like this
Inside box > aquarium > gaskett > outside box > gaskett > screw.

How is yours?

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gabrieltackitt
How did you screw on the overflow?
I was thinking this way
Inside box > gaskett > aquarium > outside box > gaskett > screw.

Eshoops video is like this
Inside box > aquarium > gaskett > outside box > gaskett > screw.

How is yours?

I tried several different ways of putting the gaskets on and had a bit of a hard time to get it to not drip, I ended up with it being: Inside box -> aquarium glass -> gasket -> gasket -> outside box -> bulkhead nut. I had to google it but that is how Eshopps says to do it if you read super carefully, or at least that’s what I found

I also used some of the leftover silicone from building my sump and did about an inch further out from the hole between the glass and the overflow box, I don’t know if it actually does anything but it doesn’t leak now.

If you do drill the return, I would highly suggest drilling it as high as you can get it to the trim, I think mine is too low and so I get quite a bit of back siphon into my sump. The 29 sump I have handles it fine but it does seem to be a good chunk of water so I’d be more cautious with a 20 long. Over the back should eliminate almost all of that though.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That 40 gallon is made by who? Aqueon? Marineland? I Was looking for A 40 breeder. Thanks. I wanted to go to like Petco not sure if the 40-gallon tank there can be drilled.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Deezill
Mine is Aqueon
How long ago did you purchase the Aqueon 40 breeder? The reason I ask is I called Aqueon and they are not selling non-tempered glass tanks for the next year plus. There are no tags on the tanks. If you didn't verify that it is non-tempered, I would make sure it is before you proceed any further since you drilled it. The warranty is now voided, fyi. See videos on youtube for how to check. I wanted to get one too but will probably go with another vendor to be on the safe side and pay to have it drilled.

Back