Starving urchin?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made similar posts to this but I haven't really gotten an answer I feel satisfied my questioning.

I just recently fought off a massive Dino outbreak. Due to the dino, there was no other algae in the tank. I'm worried my urchin might starve soon, the reason I say this, when I add Nori to a rock by rubber band, I never see the urchin eating it. This is a large 90 gallon tank, could it be possible it can't find it? I thought it's sensory tentacles could sniff it out. It's basically sterile now that the dino is gone, I did add copepods, there is a blooming community of them, and phytoplankton. Is the urchin not hunting down the Nori because it's getting enough food? If he is getting enough food, what could he possibly be eating?

My worry is doubled down because my large Turbo snail also isn't moving at all, but I know it isn't dead. But it also won't hunt down the Nori so I don't know

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d buy some algae pellets and gently place him on some and crank up the lights to create some glass algae as most urchins only eat algae in the wild and captivity.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, didn't realize I didn't make mention of the type, it's a blue tuxedo urchin
Yes so that type of urchin will "collect" just about anything it can pick up. I have the luxury of getting fresh kelp a few blocks away, but again give your local Japanese market a call. The texture of the algae wafer may not be right.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nori isn't good either?
Nori is freeze dried kelp the texture may not be right. Its akin to why some fish will not eat flake food even though its made up of the same stuff frozen is. That's not to say you can’t train them to eat nori.

simplysyran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d buy some algae pellets and gently place him on some and crank up the lights to create some glass algae as most urchins only eat algae in the wild and captivity.
What type of algae wafers? I've got both fresh and saltwater tanks but the only algae wafers I have are for my plecos. I get almost all of my marine tank items online. The closest place to get marine supplies, other than petsmart which is very limited, is 2 hours away.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of algae wafers? I've got both fresh and saltwater tanks but the only algae wafers I have are for my plecos. I get almost all of my marine tank items online. The closest place to get marine supplies, other than petsmart which is very limited, is 2 hours away.
PetSmart sells these too they are for both if it’s this brand! You could try nori too which is plain dried seaweed you can get it at the grocery store.
F5884032-8B2E-4E78-81F4-710A7BD342B5.jpeg

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesn't have any algae, I would give the urchin to another reefer or your LFS and beef up your clean up crew later (such as with another urchin) when the tank grows algae.

Everyone agrees you can drop in a wafer or some nori to feed urchins, but that's tedious and it leaves you wondering whether the urchin is actually going after/eating the wafers or nori (hence this thread).

Additionally, it is not uncommon for a Dino outbreak to wipe out a cleanup crew.

Back