Steal Your Lunch

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve seen numerous threads where someone posts a picture of a bristle worm and asks if it’s a fireworm. I’ve responded to one or two with my opinion, “bristle worm”. You see the same reply often; that true fireworms are pretty rare these days, and that seems to be true. It seems most people who think they have a fireworm just have a large bristle worm. In one of those responses, I added a picture of a big bristle worm I see frequently. It’s been having me doing triple takes every time I see it, since the first time I saw it. After I just watched it come out of the rocks at the end of my ramp down and steal a pellet away from a hermit crab, I’m just not really sure anymore. It looks just like the rest of the little ones, of which there are plenty. I know that the red fill tufts are characteristic of fireworms, but as far as I can tell some bristle worms have them too and they might become more noticeable as the worm grows. At least some of the small worms seem to also have red tufts. All of them seem to be the same color. I understand better now, why this question comes up so often. Forgive the picture quality here, iPhone with flash on and tank lights out. Here’s the ugly truth.. (turn volume off probably)

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fireworm. Bristle worms don’t generally get that thick across until they are massive. Red tufts and pure white bristles another determining factor for me

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stretched out, it’s about 3-4”. The thickness when it’s not stretched is what’s starting to concern me. Early on in the setup, while I was adjusting the placement of a rock, I was stung by something. I don’t know if it was this worm or one of the smaller ones or what, but it burned, a lot like nettles do. If I remember correctly the burning lasted for about ten minutes, but there was a sensation of having bristles stuck in my skin for a day or two afterwards.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stretched out, it’s about 3-4”. The thickness when it’s not stretched is what’s starting to concern me. Early on in the setup, while I was adjusting the placement of a rock, I was stung by something. I don’t know if it was this worm or one of the smaller ones or what, but it burned, a lot like nettles do. If I remember correctly the burning lasted for about ten minutes, but there was a sensation of having bristles stuck in my skin for a day or two afterwards.
Normal bristle worms don’t hurt me at all. You can touch them barehanded and be fine. Pretty sure that’s a fireworn

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red gill structures with the bristles is not a definite indicator of a bearded fireworm. There is a worm called a Caribbean fireworm (Eurythoe complanata) which has the red but isn't the unwanted fireworm. The easiest way to spot a bearded fireworm (Hermodice carunculata) is from the distinctive carunculata on its head, which will look like a red feathery thing. I don't see that in the video so my best guess is that you have a large brsitleworm. If you can get a good look at its head you should be able to easily identify if it is the unwanted fireworm.

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red gill structures with the bristles is not a definite indicator of a bearded fireworm. There is a worm called a Caribbean fireworm (Eurythoe complanata) which has the red but isn't the unwanted fireworm. The easiest way to spot a bearded fireworm (Hermodice carunculata) is from the distinctive carunculata on its head, which will look like a red feathery thing. I don't see that in the video so my best guess is that you have a large brsitleworm. If you can get a good look at its head you should be able to easily identify if it is the unwanted fireworm.
That’s what I’ve been looking for. I have not been able to tell definitively, but I also don’t believe I see the head structure. Head’s pretty small though so I don’t know.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic I found online that shows the carunculata on the "bad" bearded fireworm. If you don't see this on your worm then it isn't what gets referred to as a fireworm in the hobby.
fireworm15.jpg

Here is a website that shows pictures of different types of fireworms, but remember it's the bearded fireworms that we don't want in our tanks.

ETA- the worm I referred to as a Caribbean fireworm is called an orange fireworm on the website I linked, which for what it's worth is what I think you have. Also when they get too big I'd probably still remove them

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I’m pretty sure I see the thing on its head now. If this one I’m looking at is the same one as before. It looks smaller than the other one to me right now, so there may be multiple larger ones. But I think it’s time to try to get this guy out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, I’m pretty sure I see the thing on its head now. If this one I’m looking at is the same one as before. It looks smaller than the other one to me right now, so there may be multiple larger ones. But I think it’s time to try to get this guy out.
If you can see an obvious caruncle on its head then I'd absolutely remove it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get it out you should post a close up of the head if you can. Zooming in I would've still said regular bristleworm, but it's hard to tell from the picture. You looking for the caruncle is the most reliable way to tell. Either way it won't hurt to remove it, if a regular bristleworm I'm sure you have hundred or thousands more in your tank.

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there’s a bunch. I intend to try to get a close up and all that. I don’t know if it’s going to come through in this picture;
0BE2CEE7-8806-4515-B3A6-44A99C76F921.jpeg

ChuckiePony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still trying to catch this critter? Do you think you have more bearded fireworms in your tank? This likely sounds like a very strange request, but I am looking for a handful of live bearded fireworms...the bigger the better, for a project. Dead serious. Please let me know. Thank you!

Back