Steel Stand Feedback

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a stand for a client and wanted some feedback. This is for a standard 150g tank with a 6'x18" footprint. The tank will be an space divider in a restaurant and match surrounding structures so it doesn't match the tank. The footprint for the space is 84"x24". It will be 4' high and needs to be 6" off the ground for cleaning purposes. I've added a few 6" 45° supports for shearing and I believe I need to repeat this on the legs as well for the same purpose. Any feedback? Do you think it needs 45°s on the bottom outer corners as well?

stand-va-01.jpg

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall plan look solid and should work well for you...

Questions I have are material wise what will you be using?

I have made stands from hot rolled square tube 1.5" x 0.1875-wall thinness and is my "goto" choice as it's cheap and works well in this type of application. I also notice from the rendering that you are "boxing" the ends and not mitering them, any reason you are going that route? Mitering ends are structurally stronger when welded as you taking advantage of all four side as opposed to butt-welded to one side.

I would add 1/2" nuts welded to the stand legs, and 1/2" bolts for leveling it.

...IMO, as for 45° supports you really only need them on the four top and bottom corners, structurally the other are not need and are a bit of over kill.

OP
OP
mrbee2828

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Mitering: It was quicker in sketch up without it but will be doing so as I have in the past.
Materials: 1.5" and .188
Feet: also adding adjustable feet due to uneven tile. Got any preferred parts/sites that you've used? Was thinking this route:

57807-4417737.jpg

Supports: Also thought it would be overkill on the bottom but that's why I'm here :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Mitering: It was quicker in sketch up without it but will be doing so as I have in the past.
Materials: 1.5" and .188
Feet: also adding adjustable feet due to uneven tile. Got any preferred parts/sites that you've used? Was thinking this route:

57807-4417737.jpg

Supports: Also thought it would be overkill on the bottom but that's why I'm here :)

I have a local steel supplier (account) and get everything directly from them, they also cut the metal to size and miter the ends as needed.
That just leaves me to square everything up and go to town welding, as this is for a customer the feet you show in the picture should workout nicely and is a good cosmetic touch, otherwise grade-8 and super cheap.

Powder-coat or epoxy paint?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for more opinions please, come on r2r!

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand. Where did you end up geting the feet and inserts?
I am looking to do the same for my stand but McMaster want's $8 a pop for the leveling feet and $8 a pop for the inserts. Hoping I can find them a bit cheaper than $180.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!!

OP
OP
mrbee2828

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand. Where did you end up geting the feet and inserts?
I am looking to do the same for my stand but McMaster want's $8 a pop for the leveling feet and $8 a pop for the inserts. Hoping I can find them a bit cheaper than $180.

I paid about the same on Zoro and got free shipping. I spent about $150 on everything.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back