Steel's waterbox 100.3

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally ordered a new tank, got a waterbox 100.3 plus on the way.
Currently have a sumpless 40 breeder with 2 AI prime hd, aquamaxx hob1, seachem tidal power filter and a icecap gyre. Was never happy/successful with it so spent January buying supplies for a reset on it. Health issues in February put a hold on that. So while im sitting here on sick leave with reduced income i thought what a great time to upgrade instead. Lol. Was thinking a reefer 250 since foot print about the same but the waterboxs 24x36 size caught my eye. So heres what i have so far:
20 lbs marco reefsaver and 18 lbs shelf rock cycling since first of the year. Probaly going to need more will see how it stacks up. Dont really want to use my old rock want to keep rock more uniform.
2 reefbreeder rpm-1 powerheads. Plan is to have them on back wall.
Lights 2 AI Hydra 26s not 100% sold on these yet but ordering a "plus" tank got them for a good price. Thinking about the kessil ap700 instead.
SKIMMER looking at either a bubble magus curve 5 or read some good reviews on Reef Octopus essence S 130.
PUMP thinking nyos viper 5.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Well thats a start, add more as i go.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice setup! Hope you are well!

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I use the Milwaukee digital refractometer
Have hanna checker for alk
Hannah checker hi774 phosphate ultra low range ppm purchased but not used yet.
Trying the live aquaria salt was using RC before.

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news: Ordered tank on Monday, arrived today.
Bad news: Had an angiogram yesterday, got to have a stent put in next Wednesday. Not allowed to lift over 5 lbs for the next few weeks(at least). Couldnt even inspect on delivery praying everything arrived in good shape.
9cfc997c2e6cc3383468aaa61425057b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 20 more lbs of marco rock in case i need it. Also new filters, di resin and a membrane for my ro/di unit. Its been a while since i changed anything and never have i replaced the membrane.
Stiil not allowed to push, pull or lift anything heavier than a milk jug but i talked my better half to help me put stand together wasnt too bad. I seem i read where the bottom on the red sea stands come out for leveling the waterbox doesnt do that. Left and right sides have 2 rows of levelers, 1 row on side panels and 1 row on bottom frame, bottom frame has 4 rows total most cant be leveled once stand is put together. I leveled the bottom frame before i finished the stand and that worked out for me as tank seems to sit level. Stand was damage free upon un boxing. Tank is beautiful. Silicone joints look great. Glass very clear. Overall very pleased with it. Taller than i realized will need a step stool to get anything from bottom at the back. Gonna hook up plumbing tomorrow and redo ro/di unit then start brewing water. My return pump shipped today so should be here right on time. Now just gotta get help with sand rinsing and dumping and lifting water buckets. Cant get a good pic this time of day.
Ordered this for my old tank
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumpless-ato-auto-top-off-system-xp-aqua.html
Got an ato reservoir cant decide if i should keep and use it as a way of running media(if/when needed) or return it and just get an ato unit. Feels goid to finally make some progress.
888c5f8e6c6ef03619978f43d20ff9d4.jpg
b4cb6d9669d5edf8397cf33bf0d0e7e9.jpg

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 ai hyydra 26 and mounts at a good price with tank. Cant decide on using them, i have primes now so i know how easy they are to operate.
Also cosidering kessil app 700 for that shimmer i hear so much about
Or trying s reefbreeders photon to try a non puck light

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got plumbing in today, return pump comes tomorrow so i can leak test. Return pipe comes to a "T" in overflow kind of scary not to glue it but since its not pressurized shouldnt be a problem. Return plumbing is "T"d under the tank so a manifold would be easy to install. Next up rinse sand its supposed to be warmer in the upper 50's tommorow. Then start making water.
121ccc8a8310b2cc630b313f72b67500.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i got enough stuff to start putting this together. Boxes everywhere. Didnt realize how much i would need, even had to get new magfloat for the 1/2" glass. Didnt know if Waterbox had "custom" size socks so i probaly over paid for 4 to have extras on hand. Then i discovered the redsea media cups so i got one of those too. Figure filter floss would be cheaper and easier in the long run plus can run carbon or media if/when needed. Also wont need the ato I linked to above to run mediA so im gonna get a simpler ato system now. 60 degrees here today better go get my sand rinsed.

Tureefik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 100.3 alsowith a vectra s1 ,3 radion xr15pro 2 gyres 230 and a Nero 5 If youre interested a reef octopus essence 130 I have one for sale only 6 months old
Looks brand new in excellent condition hit me up

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank full of water and pump running!!!!!!! Still fine tuning gate valve getting occasional gurgle but trying to keep max flow too. It is quiet tho. Sitting next to it really cant hear anything, my 40br with seachem power filter is on other side of room and its way louder. I mustve mis counted water, volumes should be:
71.7 + 25.4 for 97.1 gal. Figured
60. + 16. For 76 plus my 60lbs. Cycled marco rock and 60lbs of sand. Mustve forgot to count a couple of buckets for the sump. Sand seems to be 2"-2 1/2" all the way around not sure if i want that much or not but was considering a yellow coris wrasse. Miscalculated on heaters have a new one in sump planned on using my 40br heater also but its still up and running til this tank ready, got another new one coming tommorow tho.
Random thought use a mj 1200 to mix water so how does a flat intake suck onto a round bucket and cut off flow?
Aquascape time tommorow

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to put my red sea screen top together guess I should read the description and not just look at the pictures, the cut outs for my light mounts aren't included

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my hydra 26s going today running radion AB+ schedule from BRStv. Recieved second heater and put in today, one was definitely not enough. Now waiting to see where temp settles in at. Put my reefbreeder rp-ms in tank but havent ran them yet. With things a little dirty and the way the lighting hits You cant hardly see them. Still like scape from the front but its too flat across the top and fronts kind flat not a whole lot of space for coral placement. Got a couple ideas we'll see what happens.
Second pic is rp-m. Third pic is some palys i found in a crevasse in old tank.
32fd90361fe2e2337b1698f6acee14e2.jpg
6b7971eea025670d3e85e1b72f682c39.jpg
c5804c14f1c3cac9af429b60b1e31c07.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back