OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm not impressed but that could change, they said it could take 8 weeks to notice small spots im only at 4 weeks and dont see anything yet. Still hoping for something in the next 4 weeks

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FRUSTRATING evening, put bio plate in to raise skimmer to recommend depth noticed my bubble plate was off with a big DUH moment on my part thought my easy skimmer wasnt gonna come apart. Forgot to take intake/silencer off. Put it back in and fired it up put drain plug in still getting crazy foam no mater where i adjust it. With drain plug in and lid on just fills with foam and within minutes cup is full of water pushing foam out of lid. Guess I'll do some surfing and see what i san figure out.
On the plus side my little test stylo still has PE. My torch tentacles are extending more. My hammer is expanded and laying on sand, i want to get something to cut nipple of of frag plug and move it up to rockwork.
04cf0cfae1e8854a035170383dcd669b.jpg
74ac028e3ac986ebfa243e880ceeec70.jpg
75f9be4682e23781600ad40b2887ff7f.jpg
850ed0ce0fbfb465dfc32871a4a59af8.jpg

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 3 new fish from DD/LA ora captive bred orchid dottyback, yellow coris wrasse(dove staight into sand) and a tomini tang. Didnt realize how small it was but thats on Me, still love it. Its smaller than my flame angel and the angel doesnt seem to like the tang so far. Hope i dont regret getting rid of the angel when i had the chance.
e96addcab7c1ec8f68c04365b92b2b53.jpg

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru the same thing with my eSsence 130. It took about a week before it settled down. I just ran it with the gate valve all the way open, and I took out the drain plug so the overflow just went back into the tank. Running great now.

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to realize why I havent wanted a sump. It ran high again this a.m. finally noticed it was on sock side, pulled sock and it leveled out so it mustve been clogged. Noticed tonight whole sump was full, ato kept turning on and off. Wiped sensor and bailed water, this is second time. Still thinking bubbles from skimmer. Cut some 3/4 PVC and raised it another inch. Running right at 8" now. Still cant get it dialed in. Its better than before but still collection cup slowly fills with water. Gonna have to figure out a way to raise it more I guess.
On the plus side the tank is looking great

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good, the bad weekly update.
Love the new fish, tank is much more active than the last one. Even the bangii cardinal is out more in this one. The orchid dottyback cleared out a hole near the sand as home and is starting to swim around more. The yellow coris likes to sleep in til lights come on. The tomini tang is around picking at the algae on the rocks.
Got 9 frags and a tshirt coming from WWC live sale. 3 zoas, twizzlers, bob Marleys ( as close to rastas as i could get) and bam bams (got one frag already that came on a small rock and flame angel keeps knocking them off where I put them so not open.)
Cyclone acro and forest fire digita monti thought I'd try some branching coral. Red monti cap. Blue ring aussie lord, graffiti war coral and another ricordia.
The bad, still cant get skimmer to not overflow, last height raise helped a little. After the weekend going to build stand to raise it and marinepure block up higher. Shut it down til then, out of town this weekend and tank/dog sitter only knows enough to feed pre measured food and keep ato reservoir full so want to keep it simple.
Sonce ive filled this tank water has always had a slight haze, especially when looking long ways thru the sides. So far just running purigen in the media cup gonna get some filter floss to run after weekend to see if it helps. Also got new cartridges, di resin and ro membrane to change everything out. Its only at 1 tds but everythings old. Also tried live aquaria salt for first time in this tank dont know if there might be an issue with it or not. Might go ahead and try different brand

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raised skimmer up to 6 3/4" of water 7-8 recommended still not doing right. First pucs are all the way open next set is all the way closed. I dont know what Im doing wrong
9b2150c462b242a2d587815e349f228a.jpg
8776fac1e5cf92100a37189b4ba90666.jpg
6ff093c42d7098fdb77f0768bad5c5fb.jpg
807e96b18519bd7916a31f5b96bbd5d9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mentioned before trying live aquaria salt for first time in this tank and water always looked hazy so mixed water for a change today followed directions to a T, mixed 4 hours and it still didnt look completely clear, i dont know if I got a bad batch or what.....ugggg

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out why my zoas all closed. Have 1 frag of palys that are open. My ricordia and acan look good. Cant tell about my couple sticks theyre small so cant see that well but appear o.k. My torch looks excellent, my hammer looks good but cant keep clown out it and its smaller than the clown. Need a new nitrate test kit so dont know where theyre at. For my first tank ever phosphate staying great .01 hannah. Still have some diatoms on sand but really not much other algea to speak off, my tang keeps nibbling rocks so I assume must be something there. Only running lights for 5 hours at ab+ settings with 1 hour ramp up/down thinking about lengthening that for the corals.
Bought this sure makes it easy to keep the dirty water out of the tank
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mysis-cup-barr-aquatic-systems.html

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while so heres latest update:
My xp aqua ato pump died already with just barely over 3 months on it. Wouldnt feel right to ask @bulkreefsupply to do anything for me so its either buy a tunze system or try to get a new pump from xp aqua. Ive lost faith in them now so not sure what to do, probaly should just buy something more reliable.
My @Aquaillumination hydra 26's will not stay connected if i leave them alone to run my schedule they work fine but if i try to adjust or just turn them on ive got to reset and reconnect everytime. Dont know if its my lights or my wifi but i never had this happen with my primes.
Removed bubble trap/foam block from my sump so my @reefoctopus skimmer now running in 5" of water and still constantly over flows, not as bad as it was tho. With drain tube hooked to cup to keep water out it almost works like a normal skimmer.
My zoas are coming back, still dont know why they closed up. Torch, hammer, acan and ricordia all doing good. War coral and monti seem o.k. Really cant tell how my couple of sticks are doing too small and my old eyes are no good anymore.
Still have diatoms(?) on my sand/rocks and was getting some hair algae on my rock so got a clean up crew from @reefcleaners today most of everything has moved so thats a good sign. One group of snails hasnt seemed to move yet but I guess thats to be expected. He had a one per customer deal on RFAs for $8 so i picked one up. Its about nickel sized right now.

1077389c8d1da2356c9fdc331611949e.jpg
aa038db708fa6e7e239910881e9327aa.jpg
8d587cd7d8299da57eabe4942fa0e9b4.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while so heres latest update:
My xp aqua ato pump died already with just barely over 3 months on it. Wouldnt feel right to ask @bulkreefsupply to do anything for me so its either buy a tunze system or try to get a new pump from xp aqua. Ive lost faith in them now so not sure what to do, probaly should just buy something more reliable.
My @Aquaillumination hydra 26's will not stay connected if i leave them alone to run my schedule they work fine but if i try to adjust or just turn them on ive got to reset and reconnect everytime. Dont know if its my lights or my wifi but i never had this happen with my primes.
Removed bubble trap/foam block from my sump so my @reefoctopus skimmer now running in 5" of water and still constantly over flows, not as bad as it was tho. With drain tube hooked to cup to keep water out it almost works like a normal skimmer.
My zoas are coming back, still dont know why they closed up. Torch, hammer, acan and ricordia all doing good. War coral and monti seem o.k. Really cant tell how my couple of sticks are doing too small and my old eyes are no good anymore.
Still have diatoms(?) on my sand/rocks and was getting some hair algae on my rock so got a clean up crew from @reefcleaners today most of everything has moved so thats a good sign. One group of snails hasnt seemed to move yet but I guess thats to be expected. He had a one per customer deal on RFAs for $8 so i picked one up. Its about nickel sized right now.

1077389c8d1da2356c9fdc331611949e.jpg
aa038db708fa6e7e239910881e9327aa.jpg
8d587cd7d8299da57eabe4942fa0e9b4.jpg
Nice. Glad to hear the Zoas are coming back. Bummer about the pump though.

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to xp aqua about pump, they suggested cleaning it DUH I dont know why I didnt think of that, its small and put together so tightly I thought it was one piece. So soaked in vinegar and managed to figure out how it came apart but it was clean. Tried it out and still no go, while it was supposed to be running took it apart again and no luck still dead. Theyre sending me a replacement so I'm happy with their customer service. IF it quits again I'll probaly just buy a different brand tho.
My orchid dottyback is MIA, noticed the other night it's coloring look strange. The skin had lighter and darker patches of purple, havent seen it since and no body. Took pics inside my overflow but didnt see it. Rest of fish look normal and healthy so its a mystery.

OP
OP
steelwrap

steelwrap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow emailed xp aqua that ato pump still didnt work after cleaning on friday afternoon and ithe replacement showed up in my mailbox monday.
Tank seems to finally be maturing the haziness of the water Ive had since the begining is clearing up. Water looks the best it has so far. The rock and sand is loosing the brown color and going back to white. I dont think the clean up crew has been in long enough to make that much of a difference.
Speaking of whiteness I put 2 bottles of ARC coraline in a bottle in just over 3 months ago so far I still dont see any.
All my corals are doing good except my 3 sticks, maybe it was just too soon?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back