Stereonephthya Keepers Thread

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this coral!
One of the small branches is touching a piece of rubble and looks like it is about to grab hold. :)

DSC_0029 (1) (1024x683).jpg

Skremk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I found this thread. Stereonephthyas are my favorite coral. I used to have several purple colonies and one green colony in my old 180 gallon tank, but we moved two years ago, so I had to sell most of my corals. I kept one small frag of a blue and purple variety in my 25 gallon frag tank, which has now grown into a decent-sized colony.

Live Aquaria used to have them for sale from time to time, but I haven't seen any there for a while. I did recently find someone on ebay who has several varieties, and I ordered a few. I just got them last week, and they are still settling into my tank, but I'll post some photos of them in a bit.

A few from my old tank

full

full

My current colony. It has a blue body with light purple polyps. I have radions, so the colors look all disco-y in photos.
full

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I found this thread. Stereonephthyas are my favorite coral. I used to have several purple colonies and one green colony in my old 180 gallon tank, but we moved two years ago, so I had to sell most of my corals. I kept one small frag of a blue and purple variety in my 25 gallon frag tank, which has now grown into a decent-sized colony.

Live Aquaria used to have them for sale from time to time, but I haven't seen any there for a while. I did recently find someone on ebay who has several varieties, and I ordered a few. I just got them last week, and they are still settling into my tank, but I'll post some photos of them in a bit.

A few from my old tank

full

full

My current colony. It has a blue body with light purple polyps. I have radions, so the colors look all disco-y in photos.
full
Beautiful, thx for sharing

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally found and put some orders in. 3 orange stereonephtya and a pink koji from unique corals. I am little concerned over the scleroneph because I put the order through aquarium depot. Hopefully, I don't have to use their guarantee. Any advice on what to feed would be great. Currently feeding tank reef roids every other day and daily Rod's reef and/or equivalent high quality mixed consistency frozen food.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally found and put some orders in. 3 orange stereonephtya and a pink koji from unique corals. I am little concerned over the scleroneph because I put the order through aquarium depot. Hopefully, I don't have to use their guarantee. Any advice on what to feed would be great. Currently feeding tank reef roids every other day and daily Rod's reef and/or equivalent high quality mixed consistency frozen food.
I've noticed in the last few weeks, some vendors have been passing scleronephthya for stereonephthya, if the one you get the orange stereo , does not have sclerites more likely not stereonephthya

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed in the last few weeks, some vendors have been passing scleronephthya for stereonephthya, if the one you get the orange stereo , does not have sclerites more likely not stereonephthya

I am assuming the stereo is hardier then the sclero as it is slightly photosynthetic. I am not sure I trust aquarium depot. Going to call before shipment and get the 411. Thanks.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was looking at those the other day. My experiences with that vendor have been hit/miss so let me know what ends up happening. I actually live close enough for pick-up so occasionally I'll still order from them (most recently, I needed some peppermint shrimp - I picked them up yesterday). If they're actually what they claim they are, I'd love to grab a few myself.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at those the other day. My experiences with that vendor have been hit/miss so let me know what ends up happening. I actually live close enough for pick-up so occasionally I'll still order from them (most recently, I needed some peppermint shrimp - I picked them up yesterday). If they're actually what they claim they are, I'd love to grab a few myself.

They have a picture of it on there website. It looks to be the real deal. If it isn't I will try and get my money back. I think it's a little shady that they don't have a phone number for their online sales.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a picture of it on there website. It looks to be the real deal. If it isn't I will try and get my money back. I think it's a little shady that they don't have a phone number for their online sales.

Yeah, they don't even really let you enter for pickups. Makes me feel like I'm doing a shady drug deal. You can e-mail them and that's all

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you spot feed or broadcast? what do you feed? are you worried about xenia?clove? competition for light, current , food?

Mostly live phyto for food, these are in my big tank, I need to move them to my little tank as that is fed heavier, these are babies from the first one I bought, it was nearly dead when I got it but I missed the signs.
The xenia is also going in my little tank, I will separate them. ;)

This is in my little tank. :)

DSC_0009 (1024x683).jpg

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly live phyto for food, these are in my big tank, I need to move them to my little tank as that is fed heavier, these are babies from the first one I bought, it was nearly dead when I got it but I missed the signs.
The xenia is also going in my little tank, I will separate them. ;)

This is in my little tank. :)

DSC_0009 (1024x683).jpg
That's a sclero, right? I was raising phyto for a bit, but found phosphate control was difficult. Was going to just try reef roids and rod' s reef. Thoughts?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sclero, right? I was raising phyto for a bit, but found phosphate control was difficult. Was going to just try reef roids and rod' s reef. Thoughts?

No, no sclerites, reef roids will raise your phosphates.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Package just arrived. Well packed. Fingers crossed. I think it has the spicules of a stereo, but won't know for after a few hours of acclimitizing. I am afraid to use coral revive on corals as delicate as these. Thoughts?

stereo.JPG

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moment of Truth

Good news: all are expanding. BAD NEWS: 2 look very smooth, 1 only slightly promising. Wondering if it's worth contacting Aquarium Depot and trying to get a refund:(( Special tips on sclero appreciated. Where do I get those Pacific Clams?? I already have a deresa and a maxima. What makes pacific clams so beneficial?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back