sterilizing rock after ich/velvet outbreak

  • Thread starter Thread starter EllWay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EllWay

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2025
Messages
40
Reaction score
24
Location
Leavenworth
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Can I re-use marco/live rock from my tank after an outbreak if I bleach them? Thanks!
 
You could also run them in your tank without fish for 45-60 days and any Ich or Velvet should die off without a fish host to complete its lifecycle, if you don't want to completely restart from dry rock.
 
Just air dry should be enough to reuse if you dont bleach.
 
I have not found air drying to be a reliable deterrent. Chlorine or bleach will sanitize everything. OR fishless for 45 days.
Ich / velvet cysts cannot survive a week of drying unless you had placed them back within 72hours.
 
If your going to bleach them, please make sure you BAKE them out in the hot sun for a couple of days.

Definitely DO NOT BOIL your rock. A LOT OF bad things can happen once u do that.
 
Ich / velvet cysts cannot survive a week of drying unless you had placed them back within 72hours.
Yes, I have heard that before. The same thing was said about flat worms after I dried out substrate for 30 days, in the sun. Yet, they returned with a vengeance.

I shall repeat a quote from Jurassic Park,
“Nature will find a way”.
 
Also If you use bleach make sure to rinse and soak in fresh water with a dechlorinator and air dry. Repeat a few times so that no residual chlorine remains.
 
Yes, I have heard that before. The same thing was said about flat worms after I dried out substrate for 30 days, in the sun. Yet, they returned with a vengeance.

I shall repeat a quote from Jurassic Park,
“Nature will find a way”.
Agree :)
I have used bleach as a nuclear option but it was painful to repeat rinse ,soak and dry as it took a while to be sure there was no residual chlorine. But yes it was 100% effective in getting rid of a velvet massacare.
 
Also If you use bleach make sure to rinse and soak in fresh water with a dechlorinator and air dry. Repeat a few times so that no residual chlorine remains.
While both bleach & chlorine will disinfectant, because if possible residual chlorine m, I often choose 12% peroxide
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new