Steve's 180 of Madness

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, I’ve had some STN on my acros after I started vinegar dosing. Have you seen any of that with your setup?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, I’ve had some STN on my acros after I started vinegar dosing. Have you seen any of that with your setup?
I did on one acro that is almost in the direct line of flow from the returns. It has since stopped, as I now add the vinegar to the drain side of the sump. Should have done this in the first place, as had the same issue with same acro when I redid sump and put other dosing lines back in the return area. As of now, all of my dosing is done in the drain chamber, so it can mix and dilute well before it hits the return. If you look at the photo dump, it is the 3rd pic down and the acro that is just left to the tabling rainbow colony. It is in almost direct fire of where the 2 return lines flow hits and throws the water towards the front of the tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did on one acro that is almost in the direct line of flow from the returns. It has since stopped, as I now add the vinegar to the drain side of the sump. Should have done this in the first place, as had the same issue with same acro when I redid sump and put other dosing lines back in the return area. As of now, all of my dosing is done in the drain chamber, so it can mix and dilute well before it hits the return. If you look at the photo dump, it is the 3rd pic down and the acro that is just left to the tabling rainbow colony. It is in almost direct fire of where the 2 return lines flow hits and throws the water towards the front of the tank.
Interesting. So you believe it may been as the direct result of the vinegar hitting the coral. My theory is that more “bad” bacteria is in the tank as a result of the C dosing (as well more “good” bacteria for nitrate and phosphate reduction). My infected colony is in a high flow area. You got me thinking. Thanks for the insight.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So you believe it may been as the direct result of the vinegar hitting the coral. My theory is that more “bad” bacteria is in the tank as a result of the C dosing (as well more “good” bacteria for nitrate and phosphate reduction). My infected colony is in a high flow area. You got me thinking. Thanks for the insight.
May try to add a bottle of biospira or something to help get the basic one you want a boost, as well.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was finally able to snag a good pic of the baby sea robin in the mangrove tubs 150g sump.

(those vermatids are dead. They got a soak in 500ppm nitrate a while back and I said heck with scraping the shells off of free really old rock lol)

IMG_8268.jpg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainy day today, so figured would mess around with the sump.

Plan is to reroute some stuff, extend the cables and then clean some things up. Sump is a mess, as it is a second biome and has tons of equipment in it. 2x skimmers, algae scrubber for example. Don’t need any of it, but like playing around with things, so been doing that.

also tested.

Test are results of Hanna and Salifert in that order. ph s apex, salifert and Hanna. Salinity is apex, Hanna and refracto

Ph - 8.21, 8.15 to 8.3 (green color is in between), 8.22

SG - 35, 35.1, 35

Alk - 9.3, 9.3 (upped the dosing a little a few days ago to compensate for more consumption, looks like I need to back off just a hair. Like to keep around 8.5-8.8)

cal - 440, 440

Mag - 1350, 1350

No3 - 15, 10-15

po4 - .11, .10

since all looks good and only alk dosing needs to come down a hair, gonna let it ride. Still have to mix up some no3 and po4, as they are getting low.

Then will clean sump and decide if I want to remove a skimmer and reduce vinegar as well. Would be nice to have the sump space back lol.

Great thing is that I can do that and if no3 or po4 start to climb, I just reduce their dose. Tank will bottom out nutrients in about 3 days with no skimmers, no dosing and no vinegar. Only reason I did all that was to just play around lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable management is on my list too. @Projects with Sam is helping with some clips to go in the 80/20
Mine was just throwing things in and not doing any management, as not sure if was going to stay. I have management, just didn’t use it lol.

Apex side of under stand. Battery back up, ATO container and dosing containers are behind the doors.

Little messed up currently, as routing some thing in the management lol.

image.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was just throwing things in and not doing any management, as not sure if was going to stay. I have management, just didn’t use it lol.

Apex side of under stand. Battery back up, ATO container and dosing containers are behind the doors.

Little messed up currently, as routing some thing in the management lol.

image.jpg
Yeah that looks gorgeous compared to my ugly heap of cords and power supplies

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't it a trip. We go for this pristine water, then go and stir up all of the garbage and the coral Loves it.
Yup. 20 minutes and water will be crystal clear.

This is why I don’t run filter socks, as well. Free food once kicked back into the water column.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change of the water from the skimmer I removed. The home for hated critters tank was the recipient of that lol.

Everything nasty is in here. Made a deal with them, they get to live here and they leave my other tanks alone. They agreed.

523AB310-9EA2-4036-A7CA-A857B7914C0E.jpeg

3B922728-8533-466C-9948-3368DB8C96BF.jpeg
AF1C85F2-BC5C-4EF4-837E-7B5D0AADEA49.jpeg
94463CC1-D19D-4182-9D8C-B87E95AC9530.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back