Steve's 180 of Madness

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back from FL and it’s supposed to be super cold. Want to go back now lol.

Brought back 2 gallons of macro (mostly fish food) and a ton of zoas.

Was a decent trip and got some food for us also.

Offshore was choppy, but we caught some mahi and some little tunny (false albacore). Little tunny is good eating of done right. Ended up with a ton of sheepshead inshore on the yaks.

pics of some of the fishes. Zoas and macro pics to come later.

A couple little tunny and a mahi.
33407639-7F1A-43EE-A8D9-3B0794B4C648.jpeg

one of the sheepshead
FE84217B-6D54-496A-86B4-59BCD3D2812B.jpeg

and my new toy I got while down there.
740E9BB8-C24B-4B08-A1FC-3CF03987BD4D.jpeg
Couple of pan fish look good but LOVE the new toy!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be a seriously mixed reef now lol.

Plus, all of the zoas collected on the last trip to FL are open and did not bleach out this time. I think I have mass transport from 80 degree weather to 0 degree weather figured out. 90% of the zoos closest to the sanded are now FL zoas.

You can also barely see the 18" x 12" leather behind the rocks. That thing may end up needing a new home soon.

IMG_8251.JPG

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be a seriously mixed reef now lol.

Plus, all of the zoas collected on the last trip to FL are open and did not bleach out this time. I think I have mass transport from 80 degree weather to 0 degree weather figured out. 90% of the zoos closest to the sanded are now FL zoas.

You can also barely see the 18" x 12" leather behind the rocks. That thing may end up needing a new home soon.

IMG_8251.JPG
Looks great! My kind of tank :cool:

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous!!!!!!. :star-struck::star-struck::star-struck::star-struck::star-struck:..... that clam looks open for business!
That clam is going to have to make me rearrange the tank soon. I was hoping that it would not, but I guess sit is happy, as it is growing like a weed.

There is 18" from the overflow to the front glass where the clam is. The clam is about 1/2" from touching the overflow when open and about 1" from the front glass (maybe a little more, as I can just barely fit my scrapper between its mantle and the glass) when open.

I need to get it to close so I can measure the shell, but it could care less at this point about a shadow making it close or something touching it to make it close. (My yellow watchman and citron goby chill on it all the time lol)

I even picked it up to move one of the carpets that was attached to the glass underneath it and it didn't close. Guess it knows it is safe and nothing is going to harm it lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

I really need to get out there and collect. I'm the worst coastal Floridian ever :rolleyes:
Nah, you have a lot going on. This summer, you will get out there at some point. If not, I will just collect some things and come home the long way to give them to ya lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought.

Need to get some pics of the sump. I am currently running 2 skimmers (Octo 110 set dry and Otco 200 set wet), have macro and corals down there on some rocks and also running an algae scrubber. It is a friggin mess lol. Scrubber is only for recycling algae for food. The fish love it. It means I have to dose some NO3 and PO4, but ehh doesn't matter lol. In addition, I am also dosing 200ml a day of vinegar. Yup, that much in a 180 tank with an 80g sump. it keeps my sponges happy and also there has been only a slight drop in no3, as I feed like mad and dose nutrients.

In short, super weird tank lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Lot of nutrient outflow. What are you growing in the ats to feed back to the gang?
Green turf/ GHA mix it appears. I can grow about 5lbs a week without issue running the scrubber 12 hours reverse of display. In addition, my codium and gracilliria in the sump is also growing. They get a little of it from time to time also. The yellow tang loves the sodium lol. It will grab the whole piece, run off for the rest, hide under the big leather and eat it all lol. Quite funny that it hoards it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green turf/ GHA mix it appears. I can grow about 5lbs a week without issue running the scrubber 12 hours reverse of display. In addition, my codium and gracilliria in the sump is also growing. They get a little of it from time to time also. The yellow tang loves the sodium lol. It will grab the whole piece, run off for the rest, hide under the big leather and eat it all lol. Quite funny that it hoards it.
Sounds like me when I get home from the grocery store. Box of donuts stashed in my office, cookies on the top shelf where the shorties can't see, little Debbie under the sink...

Don't judge. Fat kids gunna fat...

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like me when I get home from the grocery store. Box of donuts stashed in my office, cookies on the top shelf where the shorties can't see, little Debbie under the sink...

Don't judge. Fat kids gunna fat...
I hide star crunches and fudge rounds, so the kids don't eat them lol.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
151...:astonished-face:approx 30 lbs in a yr ?...heaviest ever...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
151...:astonished-face:approx 30 lbs in a yr ?...heaviest ever...:rolleyes:
I am up to 235. Need to actually use the weight bench I have 10' from me in the office lol.

Only thing defined now is my legs form all the kayaking I do lol. Pedal drive is not good for the arms and belly lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen your boys. They could eat us both out of house and home... I don't blame you
Luckily, Damian is at school most of the time in Knoxville. He has been home for winter break and my food bill went up a ton lol. But one being 6' 6" and 215 and the other 6' 4" and 315 is hard on the alley for sure when they are both here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back