Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid rabbits...
Bad thing is, I checked the macro 5-6 times. One thing you always have to do when collecting it. Usually I stick them in their own bag to bring back if I am going to keep them, but didn’t need any this go around. Guess this one made it through.

At least the zoas made it. Tons of morphs that are different than what I usually collect. Seems
As my main collection colony grows, it grows and morphs. Hopefully no one else finds it and empties it out. Same with where I collect gorgs. It could be emptied out easily, and within the law. I just choose to be responsible with it and not empty it out. Collect a little of the zoas from around the area, clip ends off the gorgs and they all grow back in a month or 2.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad thing is, I checked the macro 5-6 times. One thing you always have to do when collecting it. Usually I stick them in their own bag to bring back if I am going to keep them, but didn’t need any this go around. Guess this one made it through.

At least the zoas made it. Tons of morphs that are different than what I usually collect. Seems
As my main collection colony grows, it grows and morphs. Hopefully no one else finds it and empties it out. Same with where I collect gorgs. It could be emptied out easily, and within the law. I just choose to be responsible with it and not empty it out. Collect a little of the zoas from around the area, clip ends off the gorgs and they all grow back in a month or 2.
Can't wait to see them.

Btw, Erin's thread is unattended...

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh. Caught a Goliath grouper while fishing. It was a baby one.

At least I think it was a Goliath baby. I am horrible at ID when they are small.

A793C4FD-2B60-4B17-A717-5CB30443504F.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does appear to be a Goliath babay! Great fish! What gear are you using?
That was on my smaller penn 716z and a 3” pinfish as bait. Wasn’t really fishing for anything in particular at that point. Just whatever hit was fine with me.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take a little longer to open and adjust, as opposed to other zoas collected elsewhere, as they are collected in mats. Cannot collect them attached to a rock. Have to gently take a stainless scraper and slowly work the mat off whatever they are attached to. Each one of those was about 4 minutes down while snorkeling. Luckily I can stay down that long. Sucks when you have to scrape a little, come back up and then go down again. The biggest one of them was has bunched up sand as a base, so that one was easy.

The only exception is when you find them on barnacles. You can pop the barnacles off, but they stand a chance to die and then foul up the water on the way back home. I only have one on barnacles, but they were completely covered and already dead, so just empty inside.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, got back from Vacay and did some testing.

SG - 1.0267 (perfect)

PH - 8.3-8.4 (consistent graph on Apex with slight drop at night)

Alk - 7.2 (I guess removing all of the hammers/frogs did not drop consumption at all. Reduced dosing by 10% lead to that much of a drop over the week I was gone. Tank is now back up to 8.8 and being measure every 4 hours to check consumption. Even at night, I am waking up to check it. So far I am 16 ml a day more than before removing the corals)

Calcium - 410 ( no issues here, as that is balanced where my alk was. I have increased it with the alk, as I use Brightwell and they are dosed in equal amounts)

Mag - 1200 (little low, as I like to stay around 1400-1450 for the couple of small scorps I have in the tank. It helps them with digestion. Already working to bring it back up and will adjust dosing to account for consumption)

NO3 - 50 or so. (Yes 50 or so lol. I knew this would happen, as I have a ton of corals in the sump and not macro right now. Not worried about it and will reduce it via AWC being stepped up to more gpd)

PO4 - .18 (again, knew it would go up. Between no macro and pellets/flake for main food source while gone, it is to be expected. Same as NO3 will apply here and AWC will be stepped up. This will also be easy to manage, as the pellets/flakes were the main source of it and no longer being fed)

A few things I am going to do.

- Increase AWC to 20 gpd. Yes 20 gallons. This will require that I adjust dosing again once levels are back where I want them, or I may just leave it at this. Who knows. I get salt cheap and have 300-500 gallon of water on hand at all times.

- Adjust dosing to account for consumption

- Going back to kalk, but doing a drip instead of just in the ATO. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of 2 part needed and dripping will not affect PH too much. my PH is already OK.

- Ordered an IceCap algae scrubber. I got the medium Pro and it will fit perfect at the back of the sump. Being as I am using the sump for Frags and not Macros now, I need to have some form of algae growing to help with nutrients.

Needless to say, Salifert and Hanna will be getting my money for a bit on test kits/reagents lol. Between testing now and then testing again if I knock the AWC back down, there will be lots of tests performed. Luckily it is just alk, as calcium is just dosed at the same amount as alk.

In addition, the collected zoas will be moving to the DT tonight or tomorrow. They have been through 3x dips a day, all things removed from the mats I do not want and are all open, except for a part of one mat that decided to melt for no reason. I assume it got banged up on the trip back. There are still polyps in the bare area, so should fill in quickly. After those are placed, there will be 0 room in the 180 for anything else lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Schitt says "Daddy, you need to update your thread."

Updates coming later today. Will be setting up the old biocube 32 again, so I can empty out the sump. Nutrients are starting to climb with no macro down there.

IMG_7800.JPG

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You running stock LAMP on the BC?
A360we with kessil controller lol. Stock hood has 2x a80s in it where the old led board was. I still have the old board in a drawer somewhere lol.

Main reason for the 360 is to be able to blast the metallic gsp I have. That stuff love light.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good news.

Everything has opened fully, exlcuding the GSP variants. They are starting to poke out a little, so I am not worried at all. Even the GBTA is open and found a spot dead center. Just a rough count, there are over 50 NPS nems throughout the rocks, under the rocks, on the back glass behind the rocks and I am sure they will be on the glass soon lol. Even the pulsing xenia is pulsing this morning and the gorg clipping have polyps out.

Not bad for less than an hour to setup, put new water in and move the stuff from the sump of the 180 to the biocube.

On the list today.

- Clean the 180 sump
- Put cheato, codium and ulva from the 7' nem tank (all that is left in it) into the 180 sump.
- Redo some things in the sump, so I can run the reef octo 200 int and not have it suck in macro. Need to step up from the 110 int until nutrients get back in check.
- Setup kalk drip (aka kalk in a 20h tank with a dosing pump to dose it thoughout the day. Hoping to reduce 2 part dosing a bit, but not have to dose too much alk, as my PH already sits at 8.2-8.3 over a 24 hour period. I will take 8.3-8.4 though lol.

Pic of the biocube about 20 minutes after the light came on. (slammed it on 100/100 for the pic)

Need to clean the glass. Has some dust on it and it makes the clown (21 years old) look like it is covered in something lol.

IMG_7805.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back