Steve's big ol' tank Build! I went deep!

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
2,089
Reaction score
363
Location
Raleigh, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here goes nothing. Picked up the tank today and now I have a ton of work ahead of me! My last tank was a smaller cube and I loved the dimensions. So, I went deep!

Display tank dimensions: 50x32x32 w/ euro bracing. Entire tank is made from 1" acrylic
Sump: 34x24x18 Acrylic with 15 gallon refugium section


Just got back to the house a few hours ago.
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Here's me! It's like Christmas!
photo.jpg

Here's everyone getting ready to break our backs...
photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

I swear I measured. Only had to remove the railing and we had an 1/8th of an inch to play with.
photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg


My wife gave me this corner of the house. So I took full advantage and had the biggest tank I could built. Good thing I measured a few times. Tight fit!
photo7.jpg
 
Last edited:
Dude that is going to be sweet!
 
That tank is acrylic??? What's all the black around it like silicone?? Can't wait to see that beast Alive gonna be sweet...
 
Dude that is going to be sweet!

Thanks, I can't wait to drop off the steel stand at the powder coater tomorrow so I can actually get it on the stand this weekend. I have so much to do, it's a little overwhelming.
 
That tank is acrylic??? What's all the black around it like silicone?? Can't wait to see that beast Alive gonna be sweet...

Yes, it's acrylic. The black is simply thin black acrlic to frame everything. I like the look of a glass tank with black silicone but wanted a thick acrylic tank.
 
My wife gave me this corner of the house. So I took full advantage and had the biggest tank I could built. Good thing I measured a few times. Tight fit!

bah you could of got 3.5" bigger in in atleast 3 directions lol
 
bah you could of got 3.5" bigger in in atleast 3 directions lol

I guess I could have made it taller ;) But I only had a 1/2 in to spare on the door frame and the stair in the basement.

nice tank bro i want to see full of life,more pics plase

I'll get some pics of the steel stand today. I'm dropping it off at the powder coater on my lunch break. I can't wait to get it on the stand and start the work on the sump and all the electonics.
 
I picked up a used Sea Swirly to return the Eheim 1262 and also four Korila 4 powerheads. That should be enough flow right?

One K4 on the left, one of the right, two on the back with the Sea Swirly in the middle of the back wall.
 
Just dropped the frame off and it was only $175 to powder coat it. Seems like a great deal. The stand is 50x32x28 and made out of 1.5" square tubing.
 
More pics of the progress! These are all taken with my iphone.

I had to cut the starboard in half to get it in the tank with the euro bracing.

photo9.jpg



Both parts in. I don't like the seem but it will eventually get covered with coraline. I started to silicone the starboard down but I ran out. More stuff to buy!
photo10.jpg


Also started the painting the edges and touching things up. I left the overflow open so I can see while I'm plumbing the tank. I think I'll also end up covering the entire right outside part of the tank with the same glossy black acrylic.
photo11.jpg



This light should be enough for the tank right? I think I could grow SPS with it. 60 total watts!
photo12.jpg
 
Anyone have a good tutorial to remove scratches from acrylic? The tank was built with mostly used acrylic but I wanted to get some of the noticeable scratches out now so I don’t want to wait for the coralline to cover it.
From what I read online you can start with wet sanding 600 then 1000 then 1500. Then use a polishing compound.
 
Nice. Believe it or not this is the fun stuff. Take tons of pics man.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new