Steves led retrofit par ratings

Mattlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently upgraded my biocube 32 to the steves led retrofit. I'm wondering if anyone knows the PAR rating on this fixture? I know the stock led ranks at about 80 PAR max but can't find a good number on the steves led fixture and hoping someone can help.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer your question specifically, but I would highly recommend acclimating your tank to the new lights by starting them off at something around 30 to 40%. Then slowly ramp them up every couple of weeks until you hit the sweet spot.

Hopefully someone can answer the par question for additional help.

OP
OP
Mattlaw

Mattlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have it set to 30% right now it's been there for about a week to give the corals time to acclimate. The corals I had under the stock lighting were healthy but not showing much growth and even with the steves led at 30% im seeing growth and just looking for the par numbers to help with deciding future corals.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replying with same info from other thread for future searchers...

Coincidentally, I got a black Friday deal on the seneye reef model specifically to measure PAR. I realize it's not the most accurate. But it's a start for a budget reefer.

I haven't mapped my tank put yet but running blues @ 67 and whites at 20 for mid day peak my upper level PAR is around 400 and bottom is around 80.

That's just my initial measurements one time, not mapped or measured to any accuracy. When I have an afternoon to map it I'll out ill post my results.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into a light upgrade for my Biocube 32 also. I am trying to find the same information you are looking for. Has anyone tested the par levels on a 32 gallon Biocube with a lighting upgrade?
Hi Garrett. I posted preliminary results with Steves LEDs above in this thread. I haven't mapped every corner and depth of the entire tank yet but I did take a few readings...

running blues @ 67% and whites at 20% (my personal preference) for mid day peak my upper level PAR (6") is around 400 and bottom (sandbed) is around 80.

I will do a full map at some point and post results but just knowing some general numbers like this should be a good starting point.

I have mostly SPS including acropora which are all growing fine.

4716bec719178d59e636ab21344c578f.jpg

Garrett Keller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Garrett. I posted preliminary results with Steves LEDs above in this thread. I haven't mapped every corner and depth of the entire tank yet but I did take a few readings...

running blues @ 67% and whites at 20% (my personal preference) for mid day peak my upper level PAR (6") is around 400 and bottom (sandbed) is around 80.

I will do a full map at some point and post results but just knowing some general numbers like this should be a good starting point.

I have mostly SPS including acropora which are all growing fine.

4716bec719178d59e636ab21344c578f.jpg

Thank you! I cannot seem to find any information on the light other than a price and install info. Just knowing you're successfully growing SPS may be a deal closer for me. I just purchased 6 acans from CornBred and the color they came in with was AMAZING! After about a month the vibrant and rainbow colors have faded in the stock Biocube light. Kind of disappointing and I hope if I get a better light they will regain the color they arrived with.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I cannot seem to find any information on the light other than a price and install info. Just knowing you're successfully growing SPS may be a deal closer for me. I just purchased 6 acans from CornBred and the color they came in with was AMAZING! After about a month the vibrant and rainbow colors have faded in the stock Biocube light. Kind of disappointing and I hope if I get a better light they will regain the color they arrived with.
It'll be night and day noticeable with a lighting upgrade. The stock lights aren't really Designed for coral growth.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my biocube for about a year and saw no coral growth until I upgraded to Steve’s LED kit. The corals were all happy and puffy under the stock light but there was no growth and the colors were kind of bland. I upgraded about 2-3 months ago and everything’s growing like crazy now!
My hammers and frogspawn are getting so big they’re starting to sting everything so I’ve had to move some things around. The colors are better now but still not what I see on other peoples tank pictures. I’m hoping they will keep improving!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had my biocube for about a year and saw no coral growth until I upgraded to Steve’s LED kit. The corals were all happy and puffy under the stock light but there was no growth and the colors were kind of bland. I upgraded about 2-3 months ago and everything’s growing like crazy now!
My hammers and frogspawn are getting so big they’re starting to sting everything so I’ve had to move some things around. The colors are better now but still not what I see on other peoples tank pictures. I’m hoping they will keep improving!
Update?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had to take a lot of corals out because my anemone won’t stop growing, but the ones still in there are doing great. Had some sps that we’re doing great but had to move them because of the anemone, only a couple left in there now. I had a 6” maxima in there for about 6 months too but moved it to my bigger tank. Tons of coralline growing everywhere! The tank has pretty much become self sustaining. I do a 20% water change once a month and really don’t touch it otherwise except to feed or clean the glass. I think I have the lights around 60% blues and 40% whites.

Here’s a pic

3B113138-9C6C-4329-804D-648B47D6FFA8.jpeg

Back