Steve's LEDs Issue

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help with an issue I am having with my Steve's LEDs. I have been running these retrofit LEDs in my RSM 250 for almost 8 years without issue. Two days ago the LEDs began blinking rapidly which could only be stopped by unplugging. I was able to get them back on briefly, but now they won't turn on at all. The fans are still running. The blue light on the ACI controller is not on I have attempted to get help from Steve's LEDs, but they are unresponsive. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I am worried my corals will not survive waiting for Steve's LEDs to chime in.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they start to blink with voltage fluctuations. My guess would be the power supply is giving out.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never bought a lighting fixture and had the company install it for me :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help with an issue I am having with my Steve's LEDs. I have been running these retrofit LEDs in my RSM 250 for almost 8 years without issue. Two days ago the LEDs began blinking rapidly which could only be stopped by unplugging. I was able to get them back on briefly, but now they won't turn on at all. The fans are still running. The blue light on the ACI controller is not on I have attempted to get help from Steve's LEDs, but they are unresponsive. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I am worried my corals will not survive waiting for Steve's LEDs to chime in.
I'll second the power supply.
Most power bricks won't last 8 years.
Power capacitors dry out or leak..

Just get a power supply with the same voltage and equal or greater amps or watts.

Second, since Steve's In believe still uses linear drivers they could fail from heat over time as well.

BUT #1 guess is still power supply.

OP
OP
NJ Reefer

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the power supply.
Most power bricks won't last 8 years.
Power capacitors dry out or leak..

Just get a power supply with the same voltage and equal or greater amps or watts.

Second, since Steve's In believe still uses linear drivers they could fail from heat over time as well.

BUT #1 guess is still power supply.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I am a noob with electronics. How do I determine what the voltage/amps/watts are? There are no labels on the power supply.

OP
OP
NJ Reefer

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they start to blink with voltage fluctuations. My guess would be the power supply is giving out.
Thanks for the response. The fans are powered by the same power supply, but they are still running. Do you think it could still be an issue with the power supply? Perhaps there's enough power for the fans but not enough for the lights?

dejavo0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with mine. It was the little ac adapter that plugs into the controller.

OP
OP
NJ Reefer

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with mine. It was the little ac adapter that plugs into the controller.
Thanks for the reply. At this point, I have replaced the main power source, the ACI controller, as well as the ac adapter for the controller. No luck. I am at my wits end.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. At this point, I have replaced the main power source, the ACI controller, as well as the ac adapter for the controller. No luck. I am at my wits end.
Could be bad ground, could be a short somewhere..
Not even sure what parts you have.
The current "plug and play" looks to have 2 driver boars, 4 led circuit boards, 2 fans and one can add a Hurricane.

So are yo running an ACI board to go to something like Apex?

Which driver boards? A broken ground in the circuit would cause a loss of all lighting.
Flashing lights as first seen is usually the limp mode for some issue with the output .

All the led boards could be takn out of line one at a time to see if one is causing an issue.
ect..
Lots of little thigs that really can't be diagnosed on line really.
Pack it up and send it to @_AV. I'm pretty sure its a simple fix.

OP
OP
NJ Reefer

NJ Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bad ground, could be a short somewhere..
Not even sure what parts you have.
The current "plug and play" looks to have 2 driver boars, 4 led circuit boards, 2 fans and one can add a Hurricane.

So are yo running an ACI board to go to something like Apex?

Which driver boards? A broken ground in the circuit would cause a loss of all lighting.
Flashing lights as first seen is usually the limp mode for some issue with the output .

All the led boards could be takn out of line one at a time to see if one is causing an issue.
ect..
Lots of little thigs that really can't be diagnosed on line really.
Pack it up and send it to @_AV. I'm pretty sure its a simple fix.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am running an ACI board to connect to my Apex. Unfortunately, I know next to zero about LEDs and how they work, so I can’t say which driver boards or how many. I would love to mess around with this a pull a led board, but I’m afraid I would do more damage than good.

I will look into @_AV. Thanks for the referral.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back