Steve's Reefer 250

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of planning my reef tank is finally underway.
Happy with the scape, water added and pumps/valves balanced.
I'm having a few issues with the Hydra 26's. I can't seem to be able to pair them up bit I'm sure I will work it out.
Over all, very pleased with Reefer 250. It's very quiet once dialled in.
20180729_100431.jpg
20180729_100448.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a stunning looking aquascaping you have designed there, very nice!

On the Hydras try connecting directly to the parent light with your phone or whatever rather than via a router. You will see the light on your available networks and just connect and then try pairing from there. It’s a known issue and I had the same problems whenever I went via a router. Just became unusable.

And welcome to R2R as well!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice scape! Hopefully I get my hydra 26's mounted today. If I have the same problem and figure it out I'll share what I done to pair them.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a stunning looking aquascaping you have designed there, very nice!

On the Hydras try connecting directly to the parent light with your phone or whatever rather than via a router. You will see the light on your available networks and just connect and then try pairing from there. It’s a known issue and I had the same problems whenever I went via a router. Just became unusable.

And welcome to R2R as well!
Thanks for the compliments on the scape. I used 40lbs of Caribsea Shapes and the rocks were so good to work with. I think that it would have been harder to create a bad scape.
I will give your idea a go with the Hydras and thankfully I am in no rush to get them sorted.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it sad to sit and look at an empty tank for an hour?
20180729_215723.jpg
Nah, that isn't sad, this is the fun stage! I didn't QT and got velvet and had 76 days of watching an empty tank....now that my friend is sad!

happyschneiders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you with the Hydras. Took me half a year to get both mine updated to the latest firmware and they still are not paired now as I cannot spend enough time with figuring it out. [emoji23]

Also sitting in front of an empty tank as it also took me 6 months to fill it and get it going. But I am super thrilled and also very happy with the reefer quality.

Also really like your scape! That seems to be cool rock!

What did you go with in terms of flow in the dt ?

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you with the Hydras. Took me half a year to get both mine updated to the latest firmware and they still are not paired now as I cannot spend enough time with figuring it out. [emoji23]

Also sitting in front of an empty tank as it also took me 6 months to fill it and get it going. But I am super thrilled and also very happy with the reefer quality.

I haven't managed to pair my Hydras either so if just set them up individually.
As for flow, I've gone for 2 Jecod/Jeboa OW-10's (MP10's were out of budget) and a Jecod/Jeboa return pump which I can't remember which model.

444rich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I love the scape - is that caribsea shapes rock? We have similar builds - I have the AI Hydra 26's as well, they pair up fine, and I can connect to them when I'm on wifi, but I can't connect via the cloud access - just haven't had time to troubleshoot. what are your plans for livestock?

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you with the Hydras. Took me half a year to get both mine updated to the latest firmware and they still are not paired now as I cannot spend enough time with figuring it out.
emoji23.png

Nice, I love the scape - is that caribsea shapes rock? We have similar builds - I have the AI Hydra 26's as well, they pair up fine, and I can connect to them when I'm on wifi, but I can't connect via the cloud access - just haven't had time to troubleshoot. what are your plans for livestock?
Thanks. Yes, it is 40lbs of Caribsea Shapes. I waited weeks for them to be available in the UK.
Stock wise, pretty standard stuff. A pair of clowns, a clown goby, algae blenny, chromis and maybe take the chance on a dwarf angel.
Corals, again pretty standard lps and softies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question.

After filling my tank I have approximately 40 litres of salt water left over in 2 fish safe containers. How long can this be safely left to be used for water changes?

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking scape! My R250 should be arriving today. hoping my scapping ends up at least half a good as yours!
Thank you. It definitely helps if you have interesting shaped rocks rather than just roundish ones.
Using Caribsea Shapes, the scape took me less than half an hour, and I put that down to the rock I was using, not my own skills. It's only the 2nd tank that I have ever set up.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding water to my tank 12 days ago I now have life in the shape of 2 percula clowns.
I added a big bottle of ATM Colony at the start and have been dosing Dr Tims ammonia. The last 2 days I have dosed the ammonia to 2ppm and have had a 0 reading the following day. My lfs recommended this method, and to be honest, I was very sceptical. But it does seem to work.
Hydras are now sorted and running a very reduced BRS schedule at around 25%.
Onwards and upwards.
20180804_121410.jpg
20180804_121221.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus Curve 5 now up and running. My sump now looks like a foam party has taken place in there. How long can I expect the skimmer to behave like this before settling down?

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob mistake 101

Whilst syphoning my tank during a water change, both my clowns decided to take a trip down the hose into my water container. Cue blind panic.

Both fish are now safely back in their home and looking as though nothing had happened. I am now looking at better water change methods ;Pompus

Also my Bubble Magus is slowly breaking in, still overflowing but not as near as much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back