Stevo's Profilux 4 - Ultimate Set Build Out

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @stevo01 for making this thread! I've had my profilux 4 since the beginning of this year and just getting around to setting it up. I've been putting it off since this is my first controller and the manuals seem difficult to understand. A "quickstart" guide would have been helpful...or at least just 1 manual with a step-by-step setup system would have been helpful...but that's not the German way, lol. I'll be using your thread to get this started tomorrow!

I've read somewhere that a firmware update is required before anything else? Is the first step downloading myGHL or GHL control center onto a PC?

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL is great stuff! They have a different way of explaining things though. Im glad I can help a fellow reefer out.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah get the software GCC on your PC first. My ghl is later after you have the software and system setup.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Stevo...do you have an ATO setup to the Profilux? I have a Tunze 3155 Osmolator and trying to see how to set this up to run with the profilux. They give instructions on setting up 1&2 sensor ATOs if the sensors are attached directly to the P4, but no instructions on setting up an Out of the Box ATO from another company! I'm thinking this might be something that is best left independent from the P4 since the ATO monitors it's own pump and sensors...maybe just connect it to the Permanent Socket (with the P4 and Touch)?

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the ATO connected to the P4. I would run it independently from the P4, but as you know it can be connected.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking this might be something that is best left independent from the P4 since the ATO monitors it's own pump and sensors...maybe just connect it to the Permanent Socket (with the P4 and Touch)?

I bought two level sensors from GHL so I have a low + high water mark in my sump. I appreciate getting an email if either triggers. I run the Avast ATO separately from the GHL, but I have the Profilux power off the ATO socket when the high level sensor triggers. It's mostly a backup safety. The high water mark also powers off my skimmer to keep it from overflowing.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined the gang..well I purchased the P4 a long time ago but am now setting things up as my tank is finally wet. I hooked my ATO up as so I can power it off in case the high level water sensor kicks in (I have this but need to set it up). But I had to set it up as a simple on/off socket. This thread has really helped me so far and I wanted to thank you all for contributing. I'm sure I'll be adding some thoughts as I get deeper into setup.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked my ATO up as so I can power it off in case the high level water sensor kicks in (I have this but need to set it up)

I have a low-water (optical) and a high-level (float) water sensor on my profilux. I get an email on both. For the high-level, I turn off socket 3 (skimmer + gyre) and socket 1 (ATO).

I rely on my high water sensor as a feed mode as well. I hit pause on my reef octopus return. This pauses the return for 15 minutes, water level increases in sump. Gyre turns off (water level too low in tank) and skimmer off (no overflow). After 15 minutes, return pump kicks back on and my skimmer + gyre restart.

I get daily emails when I do this. I like the daily emails, because it reminds me the profilux email is actually working.

Profilux1.JPG
Profilux2.JPG

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question - I was curious as to whether anyone is running the GHL cooling fans. Are they worth the cost or are there more affordable options out there?

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... I have Switch 3 turn on and off my T5 light using a Timer. How would I go about having the light go off if the temp gets to high? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... I have Switch 3 turn on and off my T5 light using a Timer. How would I go about having the light go off if the temp gets to high? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You would need to use the illumination setting, instead of timer. Then you will see that option "temperature dependant"

Topgun128p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I currently own a Apex Neptune controller on my Red Sea 450, never had any issues with connectivity and the fusion makes it super easy to use..8 fully programmable switch’s comes in super convenient, also have a dedicated tablet for it, amazon fire tablet I picked up new for 60 buks.. I was looking into the P4 for a new tank I just bought a Red Sea 170, I don’t really need a whole lot of options on so I figured the P4 was a good option, but correct me if I’m wrong it seams that it’s mostly beta and we’re hoping that the company upgrades/ fixes issues. If you need email notifications why wait on a company 5-6 months to correct this when there’s a company that does it now. I really like the look of the interface but it would kill me if my sump over filled due to lag time? 6 outlets and only 5 are controllable isn’t bad, return pump, skimmer, heater, main light, refugium light, wavemaker & gfo/ carbon reactor is all I’m going to run on this tank. Is it worth it or should I just buy another apex? I would like to try another company out if it’s comparable and cheaper. I just don’t want to regret it down the line..

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I currently own a Apex Neptune controller on my Red Sea 450, never had any issues with connectivity and the fusion makes it super easy to use..8 fully programmable switch’s comes in super convenient, also have a dedicated tablet for it, amazon fire tablet I picked up new for 60 buks.. I was looking into the P4 for a new tank I just bought a Red Sea 170, I don’t really need a whole lot of options on so I figured the P4 was a good option, but correct me if I’m wrong it seams that it’s mostly beta and we’re hoping that the company upgrades/ fixes issues. If you need email notifications why wait on a company 5-6 months to correct this when there’s a company that does it now. I really like the look of the interface but it would kill me if my sump over filled due to lag time? 6 outlets and only 5 are controllable isn’t bad, return pump, skimmer, heater, main light, refugium light, wavemaker & gfo/ carbon reactor is all I’m going to run on this tank. Is it worth it or should I just buy another apex? I would like to try another company out if it’s comparable and cheaper. I just don’t want to regret it down the line..

I will answer what I can and those more informed can hopefully answer the rest of your questions. The P4 is not beta... it is a very advanced product that has been on the market for sometime. Email alerts are available using the latest firmware. I use it with no issues. I have it send me an hour by hour report on everything happening with my tank. I have two Apex systems, a Jr. and the newer full system. The P4 in my opinion is a step above the Apex. You are correct about the outlets it would be great to have more but 6 seems to work for me. I use a couple cord splitters that allows me to run two pumps on an outlet and two heaters on an outlet. You can however daisy chain multiple power bars together. I think you might be confusing the P4 with the Vertex Cerebra? if you're looking for simple with just a few option I think I would look at the Apex Jr. I use that on a small frag tank I have.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which app and setting do you use to configure a P4 to send you an email? Is that defined in the Myghl.com app? For example, to receive an email when temp drops below x?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you set it to send email alerts, it will automatically send any alert that occurs based on your profilux settings. So any time you hear that alarm go off, it will send you an email.

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you set it to send email alerts, it will automatically send any alert that occurs based on your profilux settings. So any time you hear that alarm go off, it will send you an email.

I have mine set to send an email every hour... it sends me all the probe values... there are several options. Works well for me.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the entire thread as I am still in the fence between the Apex and Profilux4. Is there still a delay getting you data from myGHL or is that fixed now?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a ton of issues with my P4. I will create an additional thread detailing the issues I have been having but today when I came home my P4 had shut down. It was still connected to the always on switch on my powerbar but it had shut down all functions it was controlling. This includes my return pump, heaters and lighting. If i had been on vacation this would have been a disaster to say the least. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to determine the root cause?

As an aside, rebooting the P4 reset the device but the time is always off if I disconnect it from power. Its suppose to be set to PC time and despite being connected via the USB it is always 2 days and several hours behind when it gets disconnected.

Thoughts? I could use some advice because I'm awfully close to going back to a simple controller-less environment.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a ton of issues with my P4. I will create an additional thread detailing the issues I have been having but today when I came home my P4 had shut down. It was still connected to the always on switch on my powerbar but it had shut down all functions it was controlling. This includes my return pump, heaters and lighting. If i had been on vacation this would have been a disaster to say the least. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to determine the root cause?

As an aside, rebooting the P4 reset the device but the time is always off if I disconnect it from power. Its suppose to be set to PC time and despite being connected via the USB it is always 2 days and several hours behind when it gets disconnected.

Thoughts? I could use some advice because I'm awfully close to going back to a simple controller-less environment.
What's your firmware version number?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back