OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I'm on WIFI now. The autodetect didn't work my first time around. this time I followed the instructions in the first video and confirmed using a ping. Thanks for the help :)

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows the P4? thinking about getting one...maybe

Pretty amazing! There was some growing pains for myself as its my first controller. After 3 weeks I was feeling very comfortable. Feel free to hit me up if you should have questions or need some help with it :)

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in knowing everyone's opinion of the P4 as well. I'm trying to decide between Apex and GHL. My main concerns are:
1) Reliability
2) Ease of Use (to set-up and configure)
3) Features

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty amazing! There was some growing pains for myself as its my first controller. After 3 weeks I was feeling very comfortable. Feel free to hit me up if you should have questions or need some help with it :)

Since set up its been running without an issue ! Didn't have to reset it once!‼[emoji23]

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in knowing everyone's opinion of the P4 as well. I'm trying to decide between Apex and GHL. My main concerns are:
1) Reliability
3) Features

I am in the same boat.
but dont forget wire management. I hate wires everywhere maybe just not OCD like some reefes but have a mess with my DJ strip as it is. haha

from a few hrs of research I did yesterday this is my thoughts GHL P4:
more stable, less issues once up and running.
looks way better to!
might be easy wire management as its all in once box,
build in up-gradable slots.
build in wifi vs the classic apex -the apex I am debating just cant it over the places new apex.
from what I read the build quality is very nice.

now apex as a bigger community should (when) you need help.
they have fusion IMHO -with out using it -looks like a amazing portal to the apex
compatible with mac and windows PC
I think and could be wrong here apex is more compatible with 3rd party goodies ?

hope I did not hichjack the OP thread as it is a good read. if so feel free to delete. :D

now once myGHL is up and running bug free that might give fusion a run for its money ?
so that is my thoughts after a few hrs of research.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Apex, I got rid of it because it was unstable and un reliable, if however you are good at writing code it is more flexible. This I think GHL will eventually equal (or surpass) with ongoing development of their software.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myGHL does a good job and has all the functionality of GCC and works like GCC. The P4 is just limited to using it as they want to make sure any issues are resolved before allowing the P4 full access.
Most devices with 1-10dc voltage control will work with the Profilux just like the Apex.
Bigger community just means the average user gets lost in the crowd. Every GHL user is important to them. You get one on one customer support.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Apex, I got rid of it because it was unstable and un reliable, if however you are good at writing code it is more flexible. This I think GHL will eventually equal (or surpass) with ongoing development of their software.
yes I agree never owning either this is my thoughts as well. form a novice point of view it seams like apex spent more time and $$ developing fusion and GHL spend it on the hardware ,build quality now once they have there cloud based software running I do think it will really give apex a run for it money even more so then it does. hopefully it will be better looking than the Gcc not that I have ever used it but seeing a video looks a bit outdated not a deal breaker just saying...

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Reliability
3) Features

There are certainly pros and cons AT THIS TIME. There is promise for the future but I have to admit much of the product is still a bit "beta" IMHO (GCC software is labeled BETA). That being said I don't have regrets - just a wish list that I anticipate will get filled but until this happens it's lagging behind the competitors (even the P3).

1) Reliability - rock solid. I really have had no hiccups at all - that being said I'm mainly using it for monitoring and have yet to use all the control features. MyGHL connection is still slow for me. It permits changing of setting now which I have done from time to time and works fine. I can say that all firmware upgrades have gone off without a hitch which I know is a reason why many choose GHL over other competitors.

2) Ease of use - In my view quite easy. That being said I'm mainly relying on this with in house wifi connection to a PC. Firmware updates via USB cable. Programming is very straight forward. I'm new to controllers so the logic makes sense. Assign heaters to two sockets of the power bar. Have it respond as a heater would to a nominal value you set for the temp sensor. Keeps everything rock solid.

3) Features - This is where there is a CURRENT gap IMHO.

Features that work well to me: monitoring pH, Conductivity (salinity), temp, Redox, controlling sockets, sensors and programming. These are the core of the controller and they are flawless.

Features that don't work for me that I wish did (currently - note that these are all in the pipeline for development from what I can tell):
- You need to manually initiate a download of sensor data. In MyGHL I can see the current sensor states but it doesn't display the trends. To view data trends I need to fire up my PC, connect to the P4 over wifi, initiate a data download to a text file and then open that file in GCC. So if there is a problem I won't note it unless I download the data or rely on alarms....
- Alarms - so you can set alarms and the box will scream, but email alert functionality is not active yet (unless you have a box). This may be ok when I'm home but useless when I'm away. I have a leak sensor ready to go but I mainly want to have it let me know by email or text that it has triggered and this is not active.
- App - there is no iPhone or Android app for the P4 yet. You can open myGHL but it's not mobile friendly
- PB backordered: I ordered the mega set and an extra PB that I have yet to receive due to backorder so it kinda limits what I can control.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myGHL does a good job and has all the functionality of GCC and works like GCC. The P4 is just limited to using it as they want to make sure any issues are resolved before allowing the P4 full access.
Most devices with 1-10dc voltage control will work with the Profilux just like the Apex.
Bigger community just means the average user gets lost in the crowd. Every GHL user is important to them. You get one on one customer support.
Hey ED,
that is a very good point on CS and getting lost in the crowd, so far the proilux community here has been really amazing.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To view data trends I need to fire up my PC, connect to the P4 over wifi, initiate a data download to a text file and then open that file in GCC. So if there is a problem I won't note it unless I download the data or rely on alarms....
- Alarms - so you can set alarms and the box will scream, but email alert functionality is not active yet (unless you have a box). This may be ok when I'm home but useless when I'm away. I have a leak sensor ready to go but I mainly want to have it let me know by email or text that it has triggered and this is not active.
- App - there is no iPhone or Android app for the P4 yet. You can open myGHL but it's not mobile friendly

Thanks for the review ! The items you listed above are kind of a "deal breaker" for me. Mobile functionality is a must ! If the controller cannot notify me "immediately" via text and/or email that there is a problem - that makes it kind of useless for me. I've been running aquariuns for years without a controller, and I'm quite proficient at monitoring critical tank parameters the old fashioned way on my own. For me, the whole point of investing in a controller would be to have the controller monitor those things for me AND have it notify me electronically "as soon as" something goes awry. If it can't do that, I will just keep doing what I've been doing all these years manually all by myself. It's when I'm not at home that I would need them most, not when I'm at home sitting there looking and listening to the tank, and can see and/or hear that there is a problem. If that's the case, I think I'll pass.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t
Thanks for the review ! The items you listed above are kind of a "deal breaker" for me.
If the controller cannot notify me "immediately" via text and/or email that there is a problem - that makes it kind of useless for me. I've been running aquariuns for years without a controller, and I'm quite proficient at monitoring critical tank parameters the old fashioned way on my own. For me, the whole point of investing in a controller would be to have the controller monitor those things for me AND have it notify me electronically "as soon as" something goes awry. If it can't do that, I will just keep doing what I've been doing all these years manually all by myself. It's when I'm not at home that I would need them most, not when I'm at home sitting there looking and listening to the tank, and can see and/or hear that there is a problem. If that's the case, I think I'll pass.

yeah that is very unfortunate, I am sure it will be that way at some poit but how know how long? 6 moths to a year I have found out things in the controller world dont move fast.
I hear yea my tanks made it though a 3 week trip out of the country was wishing I had a controller to check in make changes if needed.
that is a deal breaker for me to. :(

glad I know, would have been very disappointed. I think GHL is on the right track maybe just not there yet.

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review ! The items you listed above are kind of a "deal breaker" for me. Mobile functionality is a must ! If the controller cannot notify me "immediately" via text and/or email that there is a problem - that makes it kind of useless for me. I've been running aquariuns for years without a controller, and I'm quite proficient at monitoring critical tank parameters the old fashioned way on my own. For me, the whole point of investing in a controller would be to have the controller monitor those things for me AND have it notify me electronically "as soon as" something goes awry. If it can't do that, I will just keep doing what I've been doing all these years manually all by myself. It's when I'm not at home that I would need them most, not when I'm at home sitting there looking and listening to the tank, and can see and/or hear that there is a problem. If that's the case, I think I'll pass.

The P4 is basically a complete rebuild of the P3 on all levels so I'm not surprised they are taking their time to get it right. I think that this wasn't well publicized initially. People rave about all these functionalities on the P3 (alarms, notifications etc) so this will be incorporated in with the integrated wifi but is going to take time.

My entry level drug to GHL was their doser 2.1 that I'm running independent of the GHL in standalone mode. My faith in the P4 was based on that experience. If you are in need of a doser consider it. Rock solid app with control of the dosing that has been extremely stable and reliable for maintaining Ca and Alk. Very easy to make adjustments to flow rate and delivery.

Oh and communication with the team has been great. Just heard from Vinny that my PB is in the US and waiting to clear customs

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Reliability
3) Features

Awesome!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 is basically a complete rebuild of the P3 on all levels so I'm not surprised they are taking their time to get it right. I think that this wasn't well publicized initially. People rave about all these functionalities on the P3 (alarms, notifications etc) so this will be incorporated in with the integrated wifi but is going to take time.

My entry level drug to GHL was their doser 2.1 that I'm running independent of the GHL in standalone mode. My faith in the P4 was based on that experience. If you are in need of a doser consider it. Rock solid app with control of the dosing that has been extremely stable and reliable for maintaining Ca and Alk. Very easy to make adjustments to flow rate and delivery.

Oh and communication with the team has been great. Just heard from Vinny that my PB is in the US and waiting to clear customs

true I think its better to do it right the 1st time around. that said its a critical part of ME getting a controller in the 1st place.
like said before I think they are on the right track if they get this worked out + myGHL ( oh and a price cut for us not so rich ppl..lol) then I think they could dominate the aquarium controller market.
adding it all up for what i want to do with 4 optical sensors for my ATO and ATO res. its around 1300 that about 1/2 months work for me. might just be out of my budget. I think I am gonna go with a used apex classic then wait 6 to 12 months then check back in.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back