still getting ready to start my reef tank

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may I would like to introduce my self. I am a retired over the road truck driver. I work part time doing maintenance at a motel . I've always enjoyed wood working witch brought me to fish aquariums. I built a custom stand and hood hoping to make extra money selling it. As it went along I found out how interesting the aquarium could be so i filled the tank with fish. I was hooked. Of course I started out with fresh water (african ciclids) but was fascinated with the salt water aquariums. With my line of work I didn't think I could invest the time needed to maintain a reef tank. I had my freshwater system set up to be pretty much automatic. Lights, food and water so it took care of my fish while i was gone. had my set up for eight years and it was a success. Now I'm ready to try a saltwater system. I know it won't easy but with forms like this I know i won't have to go it alone. I appreciate the help I have already received and hope I can return the favor with all I learn along this journey.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to what I'm sure you'll find out is an awesome hobby! Do you have any ideas for your first tank? What interests you most about saltwater?

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice welcome. My tank is a 65 gallon with I believe is about 25 gallon sump. I’ve started out refining the stand and hood. Built different doors. I’ve put baffles in my Simpson’s I can start a refugium. I’ve invested in a RODI system so I can mix my own saltwater. Made two reactors for gfo and carbon. Watch a lot of YouTube videos. I lucked out the person that lived in the house must of had a reef tank. He left some very nice coral rock of witch I power washed then soaked in a bleach and rodi water. I’m kinda on hold because we are moving. I don’t want to set it up and have to take it back down. So for now I’m just trying to get everything ready.

OP
OP
Michael v

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fad13d50789eb8132cd561c6d5854bbb.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back