stn/rtn/bleaching - sps coral

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with regard to rtn/stn and bleaching, if i have pc rainbow acro that has very recently started getting white patches that dont have any rhyme or reason to where they are, is it likely to be rtn/stn or bleaching?
the coral, i noticed to have larger patches of white very recently. they dont go bottom up or top down. they are randomly placed (and not the type you would see with pests). im leaning toward it being more of bleaching, probably from low to no phosphates in teh tank, as of late.
65g
0 ammonia
15 nitrate
very low phosphate. with the nyos test kit, i cant determine where its at, but i know its not absolute 0. however, it is very very low. the lowest reading nyos can do is .025, and i would suspect its lower than that.
calcium 410
kh 7.4
mag 1480
ph 8.1-8.2
salinity 1.026
temp 78-79
no particular tank mates that would mess with it

i am doing the dr tims refresh/waste away, which i am going to stop now that im running into this issue. currently, im battling a hair algae issue, and if the cause is the low phosphate, the dr tims is likely the source of it, since this issue wasnt present until after the second dosing of waste away.

im more curious as to wanting confirmation of bleaching, or something else. and of course, i will take input on ways to save it. before you say stability....i know. hence the reason im going to stop the dr tims, as its the only thing creating a fluctuation right now, as temp, ph, kh, cal, etc arent fluctuating. my intuiting says the phosphate is the prob, unless anyone else thinks otherwise.

as you will see in the picture, it has white patches randomly through the trunk, but also white patches on the base, but not connected and not seeming to expand from a central area. and sorry about all the blue, but even with pro mode, it kept the blue. the progression of the bleaching did not start at the base. the white patch to the top right of the base came later, as well as the patch at the very bottom of the stalk.

20220912_162631(1).jpg

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params look ok. If you have par meter also check that out to rule out light.

Those patches looks like tissue necrosis and if its happening in random spots then it points probably more bacterial? Could be related to dr Tim's since dosing "good" bacteria for nitrate/phosphate reduction also introduce additional carbon to your system to fuel the bacteria. Unfortunately carbon also feeds bad bacteria that coral surface is full of. A health coral may be able to keep them in check but an uncontrolled growth of these due to increased DOC will quite literally suffocate the coral.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back