Stock list for 180 gallon

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new 180 gallon tank. This is the stock list I have mind so far. Will there be too many? Any compatibility issues? Any feedback welcome.

Sunburst Anthias 5
Purple Tang 1
Niger Trigger 1
Regal Angel 1
Royal Gramma 1
Pintail Fairy Wrasse 1
-------- these above I already have or in QT
Moorish Idol 1
Majestic Angel 1
Blue Tang 1
Yellow Tang 1
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse 1
Carpenter Flasher Wrasse 1
Yellow Coris Wrasse 1
Radiant Wrasse 1
Timor Wrasse 1

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do sunburst anthias school? I've always seen them kept singly or in pairs.

Looks like its going to be an amazing tank.

I haven't had success keeping one. It always suffer from aggressive tankmates. So this time I start with them, and give them at least a couple months before adding more aggressive ones like tangs.

They kind of school. In the reef, they stay relatively close together around an area. They don't swim out to the open a lot, so it's a bit different from schooling. Now in quarantine they stay in one side of the tank, around couple PVC fitting. There is already a dominate one. It hover above the PVC. There is another one that's its primary target, got pinned to behind the heater at the corner most of the time. The other 3 stay closer to the openings of the PVC. I expect them to keep similar formation in display tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had success keeping one. It always suffer from aggressive tankmates. So this time I start with them, and give them at least a couple months before adding more aggressive ones like tangs.

They kind of school. In the reef, they stay relatively close together around an area. They don't swim out to the open a lot, so it's a bit different from schooling. Now in quarantine they stay in one side of the tank, around couple PVC fitting. There is already a dominate one. It hover above the PVC. There is another one that's its primary target, got pinned to behind the heater at the corner most of the time. The other 3 stay closer to the openings of the PVC. I expect them to keep similar formation in display tank.
Very cool. I'm excited to see them once you get going. What's your timeline?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new 180 gallon tank. This is the stock list I have mind so far. Will there be too many? Any compatibility issues? Any feedback welcome.

Sunburst Anthias 5
Purple Tang 1
Niger Trigger 1
Regal Angel 1
Royal Gramma 1
Pintail Fairy Wrasse 1
-------- these above I already have or in QT
Moorish Idol 1
Majestic Angel 1
Blue Tang 1
Yellow Tang 1
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse 1
Carpenter Flasher Wrasse 1
Yellow Coris Wrasse 1
Radiant Wrasse 1
Timor Wrasse 1

Okay thats a lot for a 180g, also mixing a yellow and a purple not a move, just keep a purple; great selection of wrasses, should work out. Also im guessing this wont be a reef tank.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend removing at least 1 or 2 wrasse. And yes, sunburst anthias will kinda school unlike the more aggressive anthias species per say lyretails/bartletts the reason for this is that the more aggressive anthias see no reason in a tank as there is no danger where being together would provide greater chances of survival where as the sunburst anthias which are more peaceful feel a need to stay within a much closer distance. The reason I say mostly is because in the wild a few feet is considered within range but in our tanks thats probably the Whole Tank. If you want a truly schooling anthias Id go with the dispar or randalls.

Last edited:

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang and yellow tang are usually aggressive towards each other (same body shape). Several times in two tanks, I've been successful keeping both of them together by introducing them at the same time when they're both small and about the same size.

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is going to have opinions about the bio load. I’ve known people who’ve kept more and less. Really depends on your bio capacity/skimming/nutrient export/feeding.

I’ve kept heavier bio loads/feeding and maintained SPS with the help of a large refugium and good quality skimmer.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is going to have opinions about the bio load. I’ve known people who’ve kept more and less. Really depends on your bio capacity/skimming/nutrient export/feeding.

I’ve kept heavier bio loads/feeding and maintained SPS with the help of a large refugium and good quality skimmer.

I'm planning for a heavy bioload reef. Heavy in heavy out as I always do.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang and yellow tang are usually aggressive towards each other (same body shape). Several times in two tanks, I've been successful keeping both of them together by introducing them at the same time when they're both small and about the same size.

Yeah, keeping multiple of them are pretty doable if planned for it. Lots of example of it. Like every big tank in BRS have more than one of them. I'm actually considering add another yellow tang or a gem tang so that there are three of them to diverse the aggression.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to add triggers to our 180 but I enjoy having a massive amount of snails and some hermits to clean things up and I've read triggers will eat inverts.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to add triggers to our 180 but I enjoy having a massive amount of snails and some hermits to clean things up and I've read triggers will eat inverts.
Small mouth trigger like blue throat and niger won't. Big mouth one like clown and picasso will.

Back