Stock list for 230 gallon

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my potential stock list for a 230 gallon reef build. These are just fish that I want, so any input is appreciated and I will decide from there. It might be overstocked, but I cannot decide which to take out with input. Thanks!!

1 x lyretail anthias male
4 x lyretail anthias female
2 x clownfish
1 x starry blenny
4 x bangaii cardinal
1 x flame hawkfish
1 x one spot foxface
1 x carpenter wrasse
1 x spotted fairy wrasse
1 x orange back fairy wrasse
1 x blue throat triggerfish
1 x blue hippo tang
1 x naso tang
1 x powder blue tang
1 x yellow eye kole tang
1 x bristletooth tang

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of big fish. List looks good. You may want to do 3 cardinals but you eventually will be down to one if you dont have the right sex. I personally would not add a blue hippo but the rest look awesome. Add the Naso and Powder blue dead last.

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of big fish. List looks good. You may want to do 3 cardinals but you eventually will be down to one if you dont have the right sex. I personally would not add a blue hippo but the rest look awesome. Add the Naso and Powder blue dead last.
Okay thank you! The cardinals I was the most iffy on quantity. Just wondering, why not the blue hippo? To disease prone? To big?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my potential stock list for a 230 gallon reef build. These are just fish that I want, so any input is appreciated and I will decide from there. It might be overstocked, but I cannot decide which to take out with input. Thanks!!

1 x lyretail anthias male
4 x lyretail anthias female
2 x clownfish
1 x starry blenny
4 x bangaii cardinal
1 x flame hawkfish
1 x one spot foxface
1 x carpenter wrasse
1 x spotted fairy wrasse
1 x orange back fairy wrasse
1 x blue throat triggerfish
1 x blue hippo tang
1 x naso tang
1 x powder blue tang
1 x yellow eye kole tang
1 x bristletooth tang
Definitely not overstocked imo. What are the dimensions of the 230? Generously stocked I'd say.

What will your proposed qt protocol be? This matters to stocking in my world running tangs and triggers. The powder and hippo are very susceptible to ick and can make management a nightmare if ick gets in the tank.

Yekt and Bristletooth with likely not get along and both have a nasty beak on them. I'd choose one. The yekt will be very hard to source and expensive if you find one.

the 4 Cardinals may become a group of 3 and a lone one. What do you think about 2 bangaii and two PJ cardinals?

Multiple male flashers will display more often than a single male will. 2-3 should be no problem.

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not overstocked imo. What are the dimensions of the 230? Generously stocked I'd say.

What will your proposed qt protocol be? This matters to stocking in my world running tangs and triggers. The powder and hippo are very susceptible to ick and can make management a nightmare if ick gets in the tank.

Yekt and Bristletooth with likely not get along and both have a nasty beak on them. I'd choose one. The yekt will be very hard to source and expensive if you find one.

the 4 Cardinals may become a group of 3 and a lone one. What do you think about 2 bangaii and two PJ cardinals?

Multiple male flashers will display more often than a single male will. 2-3 should be no problem.
I will get the dimensions soon. Qt protocol would be going through DrReef and then for the more prone fish 1 month copper when I receive them. Thank you for your opinion! I would do 2 and 2 with the cardinals

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get the dimensions soon. Qt protocol would be going through DrReef and then for the more prone fish 1 month copper when I receive them. Thank you for your opinion! I would do 2 and 2 with the cardinals
Mike already runs all of the fish through copper (unless you are talking conditioned). Bringing them in and qting them again in copper would just be additional medication and stress on them.

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike already runs all of the fish through copper (unless you are talking conditioned). Bringing them in and qting them again in copper would just be additional medication and stress on them.
I would definitely buy the qt ones. So you think it would be safe to add them right in?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely buy the qt ones. So you think it would be safe to add them right in?
I'm a Stickler for qt because I run a lot of tangs and have been wiped out by velvet in the past. I trust Dr Reef fish to drop straight in. I've got a 9 fish order with him right now that will deliver next month when my new tank is ready.

I'd also second dropping the hippo. Even after medicated QT, I have seen them pop ick. They are fun to watch be weird, but not worth it to me any more.

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Stickler for qt because I run a lot of tangs and have been wiped out by velvet in the past. I trust Dr Reef fish to drop straight in. I've got a 9 fish order with him right now that will deliver next month when my new tank is ready.

I'd also second dropping the hippo. Even after medicated QT, I have seen them pop ick. They are fun to watch be weird, but not worth it to me any more.
Okay I will most likely drop it, I’ve been knocked out by velvet before, I will not do it again lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back