Stocking a 120

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is about twice the size, but I was originally planning on getting a 120. The stocking all really comes down to what your personal research and preferences are, so take this list as a suggestion only.

Here's what I would do with a 120:

-Instead of ocellaris, I would go with a type of skunk clown. They don't get nearly as mean as they age, and they are naturally more skittish, meaning they'll host anemones more willingly.
-My favorite tangs are the Ctenochaetus sp. tangs, specifically the Tomini and Oranglined. They stay smaller, around 5-6", and have a lot of personality.
-I would recommend trying a type of dartfish, such as a pair of firefish or zebra darts, especially if you end up having sand in the tank. They are full of personality, my zebra dart pair have accepted my cleaner wrasse as one o their own and try to clean my arm with him lol Very cool fish indeed.
-You could try a type of anthias, such as Dispar or Ignitus. Lyretail are fine, but I've heard they can get mean after they age.
-I personally love marine angels, such as Potters and Coral beauty. It is a risk adding them, and you have to add them after you are done getting new corals as they'll inspect anything new by tasting it. possibly getting a taste for coral.
-and lastly, jawfish. Jawfish are amazing little dudes, I had some a while ago but my LTA ended up eating them all. But they are full of personality and are just really cool fish.
-side note, something a lot of people overlook is that there are a whole ton of awesome inverts too. I personally like things like urchins and ornamental crabs like Pompom crabs, they give the tank another dimension.

Good luck with the tank! Forge your path and make it great.
God bless!

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is about twice the size, but I was originally planning on getting a 120. The stocking all really comes down to what your personal research and preferences are, so take this list as a suggestion only.

Here's what I would do with a 120:

-Instead of ocellaris, I would go with a type of skunk clown. They don't get nearly as mean as they age, and they are naturally more skittish, meaning they'll host anemones more willingly.
-My favorite tangs are the Ctenochaetus sp. tangs, specifically the Tomini and Oranglined. They stay smaller, around 5-6", and have a lot of personality.
-I would recommend trying a type of dartfish, such as a pair of firefish or zebra darts, especially if you end up having sand in the tank. They are full of personality, my zebra dart pair have accepted my cleaner wrasse as one o their own and try to clean my arm with him lol Very cool fish indeed.
-You could try a type of anthias, such as Dispar or Ignitus. Lyretail are fine, but I've heard they can get mean after they age.
-I personally love marine angels, such as Potters and Coral beauty. It is a risk adding them, and you have to add them after you are done getting new corals as they'll inspect anything new by tasting it. possibly getting a taste for coral.
-and lastly, jawfish. Jawfish are amazing little dudes, I had some a while ago but my LTA ended up eating them all. But they are full of personality and are just really cool fish.
-side note, something a lot of people overlook is that there are a whole ton of awesome inverts too. I personally like things like urchins and ornamental crabs like Pompom crabs, they give the tank another dimension.

Good luck with the tank! Forge your path and make it great.
God bless!
I do think I want a dartfish and a few wrasse, I need to invest in an aquarium cover first lol
I had a tail spot blenny jump on me in my last tank, the gf was devastated.
don’t wanna go through that again.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting two clowns yesterday. A misbar black clown I believe And a much smaller caramel clown.
They’re currently in my quarantine tank together, here’s to hoping they pair up.
they seem to be doing ok, the larger one doesn’t Give the smaller one too much attention, but they sleep in a similar area of the tank.
6AD60AB2-2C91-47DC-95C4-AA8CF7F7CBAA.jpeg

Sportn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my tank up and running last night and now I’m starting to think about some stocking. Looking for some suggestions, I don’t have much that I know for sure that I want in the tank for sure. It will be a Mixed reef tank, thanks in advance for the help guys :)

For sure I would like:
Foxface
Tail spot blenny
Darwin clownfish and another cool looking clown.
Shrimp and goby pair

Maybe:
Braid stripe goby
Carpenters flasher wrasse
Small group of cardinals

I’m totally open to suggestions, nothing is set in stone!
Please feel free to chime in.
I added a leopard wrasse a few months ago to my 140 DT (no cover), really like him doesn't seem to have any inclination toward jumping out.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a leopard wrasse a few months ago to my 140 DT (no cover), really like him doesn't seem to have any inclination toward jumping out.
I heard those are difficult to keep, I see they have an expert only warning on liveaquaria. Have you found it challenging to keep?

Sportn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard those are difficult to keep, I see they have an expert only warning on liveaquaria. Have you found it challenging to keep?
I heard the same but I haven't had any problems with him at all. I have a good population of pods which he likes to hunt in the rocks and also feed LRS frozen foods which he likes. Seems to be doing just fine. He has become friends with my Yellow Tang and they hang out together like best buds.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 120g packed with rock and never had trouble keeping leopards. I believe the main reason they are considered challenging is because it takes them a while to chew food. This means you need to either have a lot of well established rock for them to pick good from or develop special feeding habits as they probably aren't going to get enough by one standard broadcast feeding of the whole tank.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the same but I haven't had any problems with him at all. I have a good population of pods which he likes to hunt in the rocks and also feed LRS frozen foods which he likes. Seems to be doing just fine. He has become friends with my Yellow Tang and they hang out together like best buds.
Haha that’s awesome!
How long has your tank been going for?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have kept so many wrasses over the years and the only one who has ever jumped is the yellow coris. Unless they are getting seriously harassed and bitten I don't believe they jump.

The yellow coris was wild. once during feeding the tomato clown bit his tail and sent him flying out of the water. The wrasse hit the lights and knocked himself out. Floated down to the bottom of the tank dead as a door nail. Laid there for a few minutes upside down. I thought it was done. A hermit crab went to pick at him and he instantly sprung back to life swimming around like nothing happened.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept so many wrasses over the years and the only one who has ever jumped is the yellow coris. Unless they are getting seriously harassed and bitten I don't believe they jump.

The yellow coris was wild. once during feeding the tomato clown bit his tail and sent him flying out of the water. The wrasse hit the lights and knocked himself out. Floated down to the bottom of the tank dead as a door nail. Laid there for a few minutes upside down. I thought it was done. A hermit crab went to pick at him and he instantly sprung back to life swimming around like nothing happened.
That’s good to know.
I hoped to add a wrasse or two!
so many options to choose from.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C’mon guys, I’m sure someone has some interesting suggestions!
Tank is a 4x2x2

I have the same tank dimensions. I go between keeping 8 and 12 fish depending on what they are.

My favorite mainstays that will always be in the tank:

Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Royal Gramma
Marine Beta
Long nose Hawkfish
Copper banded butterfly
Potter's Wrasse

I also always keep a 3rd and sometimes 4th tang but just can't find one im crazy about.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know.
I hoped to add a wrasse or two!
so many options to choose from.

The wrasse I kept and got rid of:

Red Coris - constantly turning up small rocks and frags and digging in the sand clouding the tank.

Christmas Wrasse - aggressive and eats too much.

4 Line - just didn't see it enough. Not that colorful

6 Line - too aggressive. Also didn't care for color.

Red Tail Tamarin - too much effort required to feed. Really slow eater.

Blue striped cleaner wrasse - didn't care for color.

Bird wrasse - ate too much. Got too big.

Yellow Coris Wrasse - I didn't get rid of it. Died when I moved tanks. Think I squished it in rocks. I would keep this wrasse again if I didn't have the yellow tang. Just don't want another yellow fish. This is my second favorite wrasse.

I've had a few more but am blanking on the names.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse I kept and got rid of:

Red Coris - constantly turning up small rocks and frags and digging in the sand clouding the tank.

Christmas Wrasse - aggressive and eats too much.

4 Line - just didn't see it enough. Not that colorful

6 Line - too aggressive. Also didn't care for color.

Red Tail Tamarin - too much effort required to feed. Really slow eater.

Blue striped cleaner wrasse - didn't care for color.

Bird wrasse - ate too much. Got too big.

Yellow Coris Wrasse - I didn't get rid of it. Died when I moved tanks. Think I squished it in rocks. I would keep this wrasse again if I didn't have the yellow tang. Just don't want another yellow fish. This is my second favorite wrasse.

I've had a few more but am blanking on the names.
Assuming your potters wrasse is your favorite?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your potters wrasse is your favorite?

Yes it is. Love the color and non agressive personality. It is the smallest fish in the tank though and there are no other wrasses. Have never seen it jump or dart to the top when occasionally bitten by other fish. Heads straight for the rocks.
Eats slow but not too slow that it requires special feeding. Got it very small at about 1 inch and has taken 3 years to double in size. That's my kind of wrasse.
Eats every worm in the tank except feather dusters. Even eats red flat worms.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back