Stocking Advice...

FamilyMan_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing the end of my cycle on our 30 gallon AIO, and am looking to get some livestock purchased to put in QT before adding to the new display.
I have some options narrowed down that I would like to add, but unsure of the best order to add them to the tank.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

The only fish that are for sure going in will be a clownfish pair, but the type/colouration is still up in the air, suggestions always welcomed!

Other than the clown pair,
looking at:

- Starcki Damsel or Blue Sapphire Damsel (depending on what is available in my area)
- Firefish
- Scissortail dartfish
- Cardinalfish (either banggai or pajama)

Ive tried to look up what I can on compatibility, hense why I picked those damsels, from what I understand those are "more" peaceful of the damsels, but apparently all can be @ssholes.

Would really like some insight and input from more experienced reefers

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would do. And a 1-2 month quarantine for each fish should do and allow the previous inhabitants to get accustomed to the next addition before adding another!
  1. Firefish, since they're rather fidgety.
  2. Scissortail Dartfish, they're larger than firefish, and so you want to make sure that the firefish has adequate time to acclimate to its environment
  3. Cardinalfish are somewhere between dartfish/damsels in terms of aggression
  4. Clownfish are still damsels, but far more peaceful than any "damsel" added to the tank
  5. Damselfish, enough said.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant about a damsel in a 30 gallon. Of course, if you get one, and add it last, it might work. Also in a 30 gallon, you have a shot of catching him if he gets to be a problem and taking him back to the store.

Rather than a damsel, you might get a chromis. They are far more peaceful. But if the other fish are different enough, they will be invisible to the damsel, so it might work.

Fire fish are a kind of dart fish. So I would not try for two of the same guild.

You might try looking at quality marine or blue zoo aquatics. Look for fish that are peaceful, reef safe, easy and nano. It will give you a list to start with.

Fire fish is a good choice. A cardinal is a good choice. You might think of a small blenny or a gobi. A small flasher or fairy wrasse might work.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d scrap the damsel all together and add a blue Pygmy angel. Plenty of swimming around and much better personality imo. Here’s my cherub, in a 20 peninsula AIO. Dark blue/indigo/purple body (depends on lighting and fish), yellow-orange face and fins, electric blue highlights. Best friends with my clown pair, they all sleep together. Completely reef safe ime and I’ve had 2. Gonis, scolies, zoas, sps, clam, they’re fine. Here’s a fts just to show all the corals mine have been okay with. Also the smallest of the Pygmy angels only 2 1/2” max size.
766BEA38-04E5-430B-96A4-09C3CFCF7E14.jpeg
90044470-70E4-40D4-BA25-6F3B2BCCF48B.jpeg
BB4D3F96-E485-4B7A-BE9E-41E7A345E120.jpeg

OP
OP
FamilyMan_4

FamilyMan_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Clownfish are still damsels, but far more peaceful than any "damsel" added to the tank
Yeah I forgot actually they are a damsel, but I did read it before. THanks!
One question on that, would the aggression be any different if the clowns are smaller and more juvenile as compared to an already mated pair?
My LFS has both options, newer smaller clowns and a mated pair that the store has had for over 6 months

Fire fish are a kind of dart fish. So I would not try for two of the same guild.
Ok! I knew they were in the same family, but definitely never put 2+2 together and thought they may not be good in the same tank at my size. Thanks!

A small flasher or fairy wrasse might work.
I have briefly looked at some wrasse types, but got a little overwhelmed to be honest at the variety. Thanks for narrowing it down, I appreciate it.

I’d scrap the damsel all together and add a blue Pygmy angel. Plenty of swimming around and much better personality imo. Here’s my cherub, in a 20 peninsula AIO. Dark blue/indigo/purple body (depends on lighting and fish), yellow-orange face and fins, electric blue highlights
NEVER EVEN CROSSED MY MIND that some angel would work!
This just jumped to the top of my research for consideration list!

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone! It is much appreciated.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back