Stocking an grouper in a 330g macroalgae and gorgonian Tank

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now i have a 330gal System with alot of macroalgae and gorgonians.
Currently in there are a grey bamboo shark and 7 silver moonies, which are going to be rehomed soon.
So the Tank is going to be fishless and i want something New which will fit in this konda setup very well.
I would love to have a lionfish (had one before)
And a coral grouper (cephalopholis miniata)

And i like to know if the coral grouper is seen when the lights are on or are they always hiding till night. I want something to look at to be real
Some Information on care would also be nice and if a grouper and lionfish can be kept together if they have the same size.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 2 V Tail Groupers and they will hide all the time until there is food in the tank. All Groupers are an ambush predators so they don't like to make their presence known. Although they are incredibly fast when food is in the vicinity.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 V Tail Groupers and they will hide all the time until there is food in the tank. All Groupers are an ambush predators so they don't like to make their presence known. Although they are incredibly fast when food is in the vicinity.
Thanks for the Feedback. Today i had a little Chat with my local fish store and i am probably now gping with normal fish, like trigger, wrasses and emperor angelfish since the grouper would just eat anything in the tank over time and isn't as active as i wosh it would be. So no grouper and lionfish for me anymore.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the Feedback. Today i had a little Chat with my local fish store and i am probably now gping with normal fish, like trigger, wrasses and emperor angelfish since the grouper would just eat anything in the tank over time and isn't as active as i wosh it would be. So no grouper and lionfish for me anymore.
To be honest all of those except possibly wrasse are incompatible with sharks.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest all of those except possibly wrasse are incompatible with sharks.
The shark gets rehomed, thats why i am restocking with fish. So i got an fishless 330g tank here which runs already for 2 years.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The shark gets rehomed, thats why i am restocking with fish. So i got an fishless 330g tank here which runs already for 2 years.
Oh I thought you were only rehoming the moonies. Yeah that's a big tank to have empty. If you want to keep the macroalgae though don't get any grazers.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I thought you were only rehoming the moonies. Yeah that's a big tank to have empty. If you want to keep the macroalgae though don't get any grazers.
Yeah, i am not sure about the emperor if he will eat alot of the macroalgae. What do you think?
I want to try at the beginning to feed him nori sheets in the QT, and maybe he will then now nori food, macroalgae not

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool setup. Do you have pics somewhere?
The left rockwork isn't planted right know, since i glued the gorgonians there, but will regrow in no time
20230711_174752.jpg

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, i am not sure about the emperor if he will eat alot of the macroalgae. What do you think?
I want to try at the beginning to feed him nori sheets in the QT, and maybe he will then now nori food, macroalgae not
I am not very knowledgeable about Angelfish but I know for sure that tangs love macroalgae and any other grazer. If they are a grazing fish then I would say that the macroalgae doesn't stand a chance.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not very knowledgeable about Angelfish but I know for sure that tangs love macroalgae and any other grazer. If they are a grazing fish then I would say that the macroalgae doesn't stand a chance.
We will see, sonce the emperor is already at my house in QT
LFS said he won't touch macroalgae

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We will see, sonce the emperor is already at my house in QT
LFS said he won't touch macroalgae
Yeah because they want to sell a fish haha I never believe fish stores their #1 goal is to sell their product. I googled it and it looks like Angelfish are omnivorous so they will in fact eat algae.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah because they want to sell a fish haha I never believe fish stores their #1 goal is to sell their product. I googled it and it looks like Angelfish are omnivorous so they will in fact eat algae.
Yeah i know that, but he also could have Sold me the grouper, but he didn't. He is trust worthy. I got the bamboo shark also from him.
I guess try end error. I also had a powder blue tang in this tank, didn't eat much algae or the algae grows way faster. It is a big tank, so there is Tons of algae, same goes for the sump which has 100g and is a refugium where a skimmer is in it. Also got a big as algae frag tank in the basement, i couldn't care less.
And if it gets out of hand, rehome or seperate Tank.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah i know that, but he also could have Sold me the grouper, but he didn't. He is trust worthy. I got the bamboo shark also from him.
I guess try end error. I also had a powder blue tang in this tank, didn't eat much algae or the algae grows way faster. It is a big tank, so there is Tons of algae, same goes for the sump which has 100g and is a refugium where a skimmer is in it. Also got a big as algae frag tank in the basement, i couldn't care less.
And if it gets out of hand, rehome or seperate Tank.
Okay good luck with the fish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always get a similar grouper that doesn't get that big, the Cephalopholis miniatus. Although they can be shy but very vibrant. Why no lion fish, a volitan would fit nicely in that tank, they will only eat what fits in their mouth.

1691020034890.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now i have a 330gal System with alot of macroalgae and gorgonians.
Currently in there are a grey bamboo shark and 7 silver moonies, which are going to be rehomed soon.
So the Tank is going to be fishless and i want something New which will fit in this konda setup very well.
I would love to have a lionfish (had one before)
And a coral grouper (cephalopholis miniata)

And i like to know if the coral grouper is seen when the lights are on or are they always hiding till night. I want something to look at to be real
Some Information on care would also be nice and if a grouper and lionfish can be kept together if they have the same size.
Grouper- blue spotted, miniature or v-grouper would be good mates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back